Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now 16:59 - Aug 5 with 1378 viewsMullet

Let alone to the participants up the road.

Webster just went for £22m, Clarke and Moore for decent money, isn't about time we took the higher fee for these players not the magic beans and a sell on when we're too poor to use it effectively anyway?

I can only assume it's the sort of prideful thinking that feeling like that saves face. He'd be within spitting distance of a top class player if he'd not have been robbed of that season. I know England youth experience doesn't always translate, but fudge me, if and when he goes anywhere we want it to be for obscene amounts and on the back of a few months of memorable football don't we?

Isn't 20 years of getting sod all for our shiniest gems enough?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:10 - Aug 5 with 1316 viewsBluefish

No one wants to sell a player and most of our lot have no concept of any sort of finance but if we have to bring a few million in now Dozzell could be the option. We will always wonder if he will be the one to go on the greatness and we will regret but he is a long way from being a nailed on starter and therefore his value is going to keep dropping. Downes is miles ahead and realistically he is behind Bishop, Huws, Nolan, Skuse and possibly even some of Judge, Lankester and Rowe for a CAM place.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:14 - Aug 5 with 1280 viewsCoastalblue

Is he still a shiny gem? let alone the shiniest?

I really hope he pushes on this year and makes me eat my words, he's clearly got undoubted talent but equally I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see that much of him.

To answer your question, no I'd rather he stayed and tore up the division here, what I worry is most likely is that he never really gets going here and leaves in a year or two with a bit of a whimper.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:15 - Aug 5 with 1276 viewsMullet

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:10 - Aug 5 by Bluefish

No one wants to sell a player and most of our lot have no concept of any sort of finance but if we have to bring a few million in now Dozzell could be the option. We will always wonder if he will be the one to go on the greatness and we will regret but he is a long way from being a nailed on starter and therefore his value is going to keep dropping. Downes is miles ahead and realistically he is behind Bishop, Huws, Nolan, Skuse and possibly even some of Judge, Lankester and Rowe for a CAM place.

You see. I just don't agree.

What good is bringing a few million right now anyway? Maybe after promotion to build a team that will never fall to this low again, but right now what does it do?

As for the quality issue. Emyr was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch in my opinion, but didn't get long enough to show it. Bishop is out for ages. El Mizouni looks like the next one to watch and Lankester won't be around for a while.

Downes and Skuse will not play every game and the prospect of Skuse bringing them both through and the odd game of AD and Downes together is bloody brilliant. I don't see AD as a 10, never have. Lambert seems to think the same but want to give him minutes out wide some times too. Maybe to add to his game.

Surely we shouldn't deny ourselves the chance to see how good he might be here, for the sake of what is ultimately pennies in the grand scheme? We could do that and get even more directly in the summer, surely that's the path to take here?

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:19 - Aug 5 with 1239 viewsStokieBlue

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:15 - Aug 5 by Mullet

You see. I just don't agree.

What good is bringing a few million right now anyway? Maybe after promotion to build a team that will never fall to this low again, but right now what does it do?

As for the quality issue. Emyr was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch in my opinion, but didn't get long enough to show it. Bishop is out for ages. El Mizouni looks like the next one to watch and Lankester won't be around for a while.

Downes and Skuse will not play every game and the prospect of Skuse bringing them both through and the odd game of AD and Downes together is bloody brilliant. I don't see AD as a 10, never have. Lambert seems to think the same but want to give him minutes out wide some times too. Maybe to add to his game.

Surely we shouldn't deny ourselves the chance to see how good he might be here, for the sake of what is ultimately pennies in the grand scheme? We could do that and get even more directly in the summer, surely that's the path to take here?

"Surely we shouldn't deny ourselves the chance to see how good he might be here, for the sake of what is ultimately pennies in the grand scheme? We could do that and get even more directly in the summer, surely that's the path to take here?"

It's not your money though and it's not about what the fans want. ME has to fill a shortfall and thus if the money is good enough to cover that the economics will talk.

You are looking at it from an entirely fans emotive viewpoint, that's not how things will unfold though.

For what it's worth, I agree with you and would love to see him push on this year and do really good things. If it doesn't happen this year it may never happen.

SB
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 17:19]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:21 - Aug 5 with 1220 viewsMullet

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:14 - Aug 5 by Coastalblue

Is he still a shiny gem? let alone the shiniest?

I really hope he pushes on this year and makes me eat my words, he's clearly got undoubted talent but equally I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see that much of him.

To answer your question, no I'd rather he stayed and tore up the division here, what I worry is most likely is that he never really gets going here and leaves in a year or two with a bit of a whimper.

Totally get the fear, but surely that's why the risk is worth it?

To me he has the biggest ceiling of anyone, you can see him attracting foreign interest too in the way he plays. I think he is one of a handful with Prem potential, but under the right conditions to Prem potential still.

Had he got to prove it a couple of seasons back he'd be at bloody Bournemouth or some other toss club like that by now.

Well yes, but..... on 17:22 - Aug 5 with 1198 viewsBloots

Unfortunately that's a result.... by Bloots 5 Aug 2019 11:37
.....of our utter desperation to sell.

Clubs know it and undoubtedly use it to their advantage.

We sell players so cheap and so easily that it's worth clubs "taking a punt" on them.

The situation with Dozzell will be interesting.

If a lower end Prem club (or indeed a top end Champ club) offered us £6/7/8M we'd probably snap their hand off. But it's nothing to them, they'll either get a player they can develop further and flog for £30M or they'll just flog him for £6/7/8M when they get relegated (or fail to get promoted) and let someone else have a go at increasing his value.

Our issue is that we aren't in the market for players that are ready to be sold for £30M, because they cost £5M in the first place.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:22 - Aug 5 with 1196 viewsBlue_Order

I can just about handle him leaving, but not to them.

Anyone but them.
Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:23 - Aug 5 with 1193 viewschicoazul

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:10 - Aug 5 by Bluefish

Why do we have to sell anyone? We have earned a lot of money from windfalls and Evans has no choice but to cover the shortfall, or close us.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:25 - Aug 5 with 1167 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There is the balance between what we definitely get when accepting an offer (and what are potential add-ons) with what we could possibly get if we don't accept it. That could very well be nothing coupled with paying wages in the meantime. Indeed, keeping the wrong players may even block the progress of the right ones.

Unfortunately, we seem to be very often making poor calls on which ones to keep.

Compare that with Leicester who brought together the right players to take them to the Premier League title and then sold them for a massive profit. For as long as we are at a lower level our potential to sell is limited. No one will pay massive fees for players unproven beyond league 1. We need to build a team and move the club forwards. Sometimes that involves making (possibly unpopular) sales. Sometimes it involves turning bids down. More important is making the right signings. We didn't do that on a catastrophic scale last summer. I am optimistic we have made better signings this one.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:37 - Aug 5 with 1083 viewsjayessess

It is very unlikely that anyone is going to offer us serious money for a player whose sole significant achievement in league football thus far is making the fringes of one of the Championship's worst ever sides.

£5m? £6m? If his surname wasn't Dozzell it wouldn't even cross ours minds that a Premier League club would want him. Middling/low-ranking Premier League clubs don't chuck millions at every untested lower league kid with a nice first touch and a few England youth caps. Certainly not 20 year olds with less than 30 indifferent lower league games to their credit.

I wish we'd all stop worrying about it, because, like most players at his career stage, it's *still* more likely that he'll end up going down the leagues at the end of his contract rather than up them.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:40 - Aug 5 with 1061 viewsGarv

Agree.

If he's fit all season we could still sell him next summer at the same or better price if we wanted to. I don't see the point in rushing.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:49 - Aug 5 with 1011 viewsBent_double

We've just had our first two £20m players in the last few months - well, OK not ours because BC and Bournemouth were the beneficiaries in the whole, not us - but IF we were still in the Championship and IF Dozzell had just come off the back of a great season with us, we would be able to ask/get £20m+ for him easily.

I'd rather we kept him, and I certainly don't want to see him in yellow and green with them getting all the plaudits for the next few seasons, but if selling him facilitates a couple of strong replacements (striker/CB) then so be it - just not to Noj please!

If he does go on the cheap (and by that I mean less than £5m), what are the chances of a decent sell-on percentage, ie around 30% for when he goes for £30-40m in 3 or 4 years time?

Just imagine what ME could do with that £10m+ windfall when we're in the Conference...

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:52 - Aug 5 with 989 viewsBluefish

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:23 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

Why do we have to sell anyone? We have earned a lot of money from windfalls and Evans has no choice but to cover the shortfall, or close us.

The last 2 words are the biggest clue

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 18:05 - Aug 5 with 929 viewsChocorange

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:23 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

I agree with this, Adeyemi, Bart, Ward, the loanees ( Chalobah, Quaner, Bree,Keane etc) Collins, Jonas, and the others .. Some of those especially the loanees on 20 k a week, let's call it an average of 10 k, which is some drop for the others on the list . That's half a mill per player so at least 4/5/6 mill.
Plus wage drops for players still here built into their contracts , plus transfer add ones, ( some of which may be paid later..but surely not all of them?!)

More season tickets sold, we must be getting really close to the 9 million drop in income
Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 18:11 - Aug 5 with 902 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't think there is any need to, and I don't think we will sell.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 18:11 - Aug 5 with 899 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Baffled to see anyone at all wanting to sell AD right now on 17:49 - Aug 5 by Bent_double

We've just had our first two £20m players in the last few months - well, OK not ours because BC and Bournemouth were the beneficiaries in the whole, not us - but IF we were still in the Championship and IF Dozzell had just come off the back of a great season with us, we would be able to ask/get £20m+ for him easily.

I'd rather we kept him, and I certainly don't want to see him in yellow and green with them getting all the plaudits for the next few seasons, but if selling him facilitates a couple of strong replacements (striker/CB) then so be it - just not to Noj please!

If he does go on the cheap (and by that I mean less than £5m), what are the chances of a decent sell-on percentage, ie around 30% for when he goes for £30-40m in 3 or 4 years time?

Just imagine what ME could do with that £10m+ windfall when we're in the Conference...

It would certainly go some way to plugging the funding gap.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024