Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ellesmere Port 22:25 - Jun 27 with 2458 viewsStokieBlue

They voted with a 7% margin to leave the EU but today Vauxhall have said they will build the new Astra there but only if there is not a no-deal Brexit.

I wonder if that would affect how people feel on Brexit in that area or how they voted. When the reality hits often opinions change.

A choice quote from a shopper in the town asked today:

“People are concerned the promises that were made have evaporated and now, rather than economic benefits we were promised, we stand to lose major industries.”

Pretty much speaks for itself yet there are still people arguing it's a good move.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Ellesmere Port on 22:29 - Jun 27 with 2423 viewsDarth_Koont

We know our politicians are self-serving and unaccountable in nature. But you've got to seriously worry about our media that has either promoted these untruths or not been active in dispelling them.

Problem is that Brexit sells papers, airtime and ad space.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 22:30]

Pronouns: He/Him

Ellesmere Port on 22:29 - Jun 27 with 2422 viewsfooters

Refer yourself to the Tories' excellent 'industrial strategy'. They seemed to have been all for it but not sure what's happened? Northern Powehouse needs a bit of work too.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ellesmere Port on 22:32 - Jun 27 with 2407 viewsDarth_Koont

Ellesmere Port on 22:29 - Jun 27 by footers

Refer yourself to the Tories' excellent 'industrial strategy'. They seemed to have been all for it but not sure what's happened? Northern Powehouse needs a bit of work too.

Northern Sh!thouse more like. What an utter travesty that is, from the risible amount of funding to the inability to even get that meagre ambition off the floor.

Ellesmere Port on 22:48 - Jun 27 with 2356 viewsHARRY10

"Fake news " "Project fear"

The very idea that ever so nice Mr Farage would have fed us all a pack of lies is absolutely unbelievable.

What next, that chubby chap with the dyed hair has been having us all on as well ? And that can't be true as he would be retracting it all now.

Why do we need these 'Johnny Foreigners' telling us what we can and can't do anyway ? We should bring back the pound, stop the sale of garlic and ensure sales of olive oil can only be dispensed by the chemist.

We can't even have our own smog any more thanks to the Eurocrats imposing clean air on us. Just as they banned smoking, playing conkers and whistling in the street. When did you last see a white Xmas ? That's banned in case it offends other religions. Zebra crossings, they might be equal colours now, but wait till some EU ruling starts to change them, as white upsets the 'ethnics'.

So vote Brexit and restore good old British common sense, once more.
Ellesmere Port on 22:55 - Jun 27 with 2316 viewsCoastalblue

Ellesmere Port on 22:48 - Jun 27 by HARRY10

"Fake news " "Project fear"

The very idea that ever so nice Mr Farage would have fed us all a pack of lies is absolutely unbelievable.

What next, that chubby chap with the dyed hair has been having us all on as well ? And that can't be true as he would be retracting it all now.

Why do we need these 'Johnny Foreigners' telling us what we can and can't do anyway ? We should bring back the pound, stop the sale of garlic and ensure sales of olive oil can only be dispensed by the chemist.

We can't even have our own smog any more thanks to the Eurocrats imposing clean air on us. Just as they banned smoking, playing conkers and whistling in the street. When did you last see a white Xmas ? That's banned in case it offends other religions. Zebra crossings, they might be equal colours now, but wait till some EU ruling starts to change them, as white upsets the 'ethnics'.

So vote Brexit and restore good old British common sense, once more.

None of that helps though does it? Some of that may apply to a tiny minority but you have to think that with the numbers of people that voted for Brexit there is majority of reasonable, intelligent people there. Belittling them, in a vote that they won isn't going to make many reconsider.

The whole thing has become too fractious, pitting one side against the other and make people entrenched in their positions, worried about looking a fool if they change their mind.

What we needed from the start was a reasonable debate which included facts, unfortunately we're blessed with politicians, particularly the two major parties, who are incapable of that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Ellesmere Port on 22:59 - Jun 27 with 2302 viewsDarth_Koont

Ellesmere Port on 22:55 - Jun 27 by Coastalblue

None of that helps though does it? Some of that may apply to a tiny minority but you have to think that with the numbers of people that voted for Brexit there is majority of reasonable, intelligent people there. Belittling them, in a vote that they won isn't going to make many reconsider.

The whole thing has become too fractious, pitting one side against the other and make people entrenched in their positions, worried about looking a fool if they change their mind.

What we needed from the start was a reasonable debate which included facts, unfortunately we're blessed with politicians, particularly the two major parties, who are incapable of that.

The facts are there. The intelligent ones should make their case or admit they got it wrong.

Many of them have done the latter. Have any done the former? It seems they've just shifted the goalposts to "defending democracy" ... the sh!tweasels.

Ellesmere Port on 23:01 - Jun 27 with 2299 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ellesmere Port on 22:29 - Jun 27 by Darth_Koont

We know our politicians are self-serving and unaccountable in nature. But you've got to seriously worry about our media that has either promoted these untruths or not been active in dispelling them.

Problem is that Brexit sells papers, airtime and ad space.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 22:30]

It’s so much more than that though isn’t it. The media aren’t just the messengers benefiting from coverage. Many are the piper playing the tune, owned and edited by very rich, tax haven-domiciled old blokes who’s huge business empires will potentially make them stacks more money if we leave the EU.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 23:03]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ellesmere Port on 23:12 - Jun 27 with 2261 viewsDarth_Koont

Ellesmere Port on 23:01 - Jun 27 by Swansea_Blue

It’s so much more than that though isn’t it. The media aren’t just the messengers benefiting from coverage. Many are the piper playing the tune, owned and edited by very rich, tax haven-domiciled old blokes who’s huge business empires will potentially make them stacks more money if we leave the EU.

Absolutely. That was my "promoting" line.

I shared this with a Dutch colleague a couple of years back in order to explain the referendum vote and he was gobsmacked. His opinion of the UK took a nosedive:

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

Login to get fewer ads

Ellesmere Port on 23:32 - Jun 27 with 2229 viewslinhdi

Ellesmere Port on 23:12 - Jun 27 by Darth_Koont

I shared this with a Dutch colleague a couple of years back in order to explain the referendum vote and he was gobsmacked. His opinion of the UK took a nosedive:

I just read through much of that list and EU responses. I do remember most of the "news" stories at the time.

Looks like Britain's press might have popularised 'fake news' two decades before Trump got into office.
Ellesmere Port on 06:58 - Jun 28 with 2057 viewsBlueBadger

Ellesmere Port on 22:55 - Jun 27 by Coastalblue

The facts have been there all along. They were dismissed as 'project fear', 'scaremongering' and 'propaganda'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ellesmere Port on 06:59 - Jun 28 with 2049 viewsBlueBadger

Ellesmere Port on 23:01 - Jun 27 by Swansea_Blue

'Don't let unelected foreigners tell you what to do' - all the Murdoch papers.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ellesmere Port on 07:59 - Jun 28 with 1978 viewsWeWereZombies

Ellesmere Port on 23:12 - Jun 27 by Darth_Koont

Although I do know a few Scots who would see limiting the decibels on bagpipes as a vote winner...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Ellesmere Port on 09:26 - Jun 28 with 1899 viewsWD19

The highest 'leave' has ever performed in opinion polls is 51% three years ago (along with a few undecided/not sure). Generally that year it was in the 45-48% range.

Currently 'leave' is showing as (minimum) 45% (along with the undecided/not sure).....so if reality has hit it hasn't hit that many people that hard yet......
Ellesmere Port on 09:31 - Jun 28 with 1880 viewsWeWereZombies

Ellesmere Port on 09:26 - Jun 28 by WD19

The highest 'leave' has ever performed in opinion polls is 51% three years ago (along with a few undecided/not sure). Generally that year it was in the 45-48% range.

Currently 'leave' is showing as (minimum) 45% (along with the undecided/not sure).....so if reality has hit it hasn't hit that many people that hard yet......

Which is why the argument that the level of debate, dialogue and assessment of information is relevant. we can either take it easy and exit in a mess or we have to engage, stretch ourselves and work the reasoning much harder to find the right way out.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Ellesmere Port on 09:33 - Jun 28 with 1869 viewsDarth_Koont

Ellesmere Port on 07:59 - Jun 28 by WeWereZombies

Although I do know a few Scots who would see limiting the decibels on bagpipes as a vote winner...

I believe bagpipes and smoking should be treated the same.

Never indoors and not at bus stops or on train platforms.

Ellesmere Port on 09:35 - Jun 28 with 1864 viewsfooters

Ellesmere Port on 09:33 - Jun 28 by Darth_Koont

I believe bagpipes and smoking should be treated the same.

Never indoors and not at bus stops or on train platforms.

After sex?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ellesmere Port on 09:39 - Jun 28 with 1855 viewsDarth_Koont

Ellesmere Port on 09:35 - Jun 28 by footers

After sex?

Always after.

Scares women (and sheep away) if you do it before. And far too many bags and pipes going on to attempt during.

Ellesmere Port on 10:03 - Jun 28 with 1808 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ellesmere Port on 23:32 - Jun 27 by linhdi

I just read through much of that list and EU responses. I do remember most of the "news" stories at the time.

Looks like Britain's press might have popularised 'fake news' two decades before Trump got into office.

There's an interesting graphic floating around on the IPSO rulings against the Mail and Express that highlights how many of their front cover stories have been ruled to be unreliable. I can't find it, but it's quite an eye opener. And of course, even if a story is ruled as unreliable and they have to retract it, that won't be on the front page and the damage has already been done - their readers remember the original high profile lie.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ellesmere Port on 12:12 - Jun 28 with 1742 viewsNotSure

What this referendum has proven is that we are all just slaves to big business.
I know it was really irresponsible of Johnson to exclaim "fook business" but I do sometimes see his point and understand why Corbyn is so unwilling to back remain.
But we sold all of our industry off in the 80's and 90's and therefore we must suck at the teet of foreign businesses telling us what is best for us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024