Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... 14:02 - Jun 4 with 1586 viewsSpruceMoose

..."what's Farage ever done?" we can just link them to this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/04/nigel-farage-defends-ann-widdec

A couple of choice quotes:

"“What’s intolerant is when the pack mentality decides that a certain group of people have a view that is not acceptable in the mainstream and they should be hounded out of public office for having a different point of view.”

“Let’s have more people in public life who’ve got their own views on things rather than being told what they should think by mainstream media or their party leaders.”"

Now my point is, if people are able to take the tribal nature of politics out of the argument, if you imagined it was a liberal or a conservative saying these things, surely people can see what he is arguing for is dangerous?

What he wants is to obscure truth. To favour feelings over facts? The right to interfere and be offended over behaviour that has no direct impact on you? Encouraging people to take contrary positions that ignore reality?

I'm sure that's all wonderful when all those populist feelings and opinions line up with yours, but what happens when the day come when the popular tide is no longer flowing in your direction? What happens when they start to tell lies about you, and nobody stand up for the truth?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 14:03]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:32 - Jun 4 with 1532 viewsNo9

If actions speak louder than words Mr Farage is anti Britain & argyeably treasonous
Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:39 - Jun 4 with 1521 viewsEwan_Oozami

Stratospheric levels of irony right there!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:39 - Jun 4 with 1516 viewsSpruceMoose

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:39 - Jun 4 by Ewan_Oozami

Tell us more!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:48 - Jun 4 with 1498 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Agree with Farage on this. People are forced to be tolerant to everything these days and are not allowed to form a difference of opinion.

Gus Uhlenbeek

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:50 - Jun 4 with 1496 viewsBlueBadger

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:48 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

Agree with Farage on this. People are forced to be tolerant to everything these days and are not allowed to form a difference of opinion.

In response to your points.

1 God forbid we extend a bit of basic decency to someone not a straight white person, eh?

2. You're perfectly allowed to have a 'different opinion', but everyone else is also perfectly entitled to tell you why you're talking sh1t. Just because your speech is 'free', it doesn't mean it comes without responsibilities and consequences.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 14:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:52 - Jun 4 with 1480 viewsEwan_Oozami

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:39 - Jun 4 by SpruceMoose

Tell us more!

Not from you, Sprucey, from him!

He's the one leading the pack mentality at the moment, calling for resignations, etc. It's the same with any iconoclast, tear down one consensus, and replace it with their own.

He's actually doing many politicians a favour by forcing them to think how they relate and connect to the electorate, if they don't learn from that, you will end up with Trumps, Johnsons, Farages and other "populists" gaining power!

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:54 - Jun 4 with 1472 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:50 - Jun 4 by BlueBadger

In response to your points.

1 God forbid we extend a bit of basic decency to someone not a straight white person, eh?

2. You're perfectly allowed to have a 'different opinion', but everyone else is also perfectly entitled to tell you why you're talking sh1t. Just because your speech is 'free', it doesn't mean it comes without responsibilities and consequences.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 14:59]

Farage defends the Muslims in Brum who due to their beliefs are against LGBT lessons. Same applies to all other religions who believe the same.

Gus Uhlenbeek

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:54 - Jun 4 with 1475 viewsSpruceMoose

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:48 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

Why should we be forced to respect an opinion when it is clearly a load of old bobbins though?

If you say the world is flat, or that unicorns are real, why should we, as a society, have to tolerate your opinion and treat it as if it is remotely serious? Especially when all the evidence that the world isn't flat and that unicorns don't exist is right there for you to examine but you won't look at it?

Really, what you are advocating here is the ultimate level of snowflakery. Head in the sand, an 'I'm special' attitude, just because reality destroys whatever silly opinion or feeling you have developed.

Login to get fewer ads

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:55 - Jun 4 with 1467 viewsSpruceMoose

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:52 - Jun 4 by Ewan_Oozami

Not from you, Sprucey, from him!

He's the one leading the pack mentality at the moment, calling for resignations, etc. It's the same with any iconoclast, tear down one consensus, and replace it with their own.

He's actually doing many politicians a favour by forcing them to think how they relate and connect to the electorate, if they don't learn from that, you will end up with Trumps, Johnsons, Farages and other "populists" gaining power!

I was going to say, I thought you were one of the sensible types here!

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:56 - Jun 4 with 1463 viewsSpruceMoose

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:54 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

Farage defends the Muslims in Brum who due to their beliefs are against LGBT lessons. Same applies to all other religions who believe the same.

How is giving us another example of something he's wrong about helping your argument here?

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:56 - Jun 4 with 1461 viewsBlueBadger

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:54 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

That's because Farage is a homophobic old t0sser, not because he believes in free speech and the 'religious freedom' of muslims. Official UKIP policy when he was in charge was to oppose legalisation of gay marriage.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 14:58]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:07 - Jun 4 with 1415 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:56 - Jun 4 by BlueBadger

That's because Farage is a homophobic old t0sser, not because he believes in free speech and the 'religious freedom' of muslims. Official UKIP policy when he was in charge was to oppose legalisation of gay marriage.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 14:58]

Nothing to do with being homophobic. His point is about children being taught about LGBT.
If religious beliefs get in the way of this, then they should be allowed to decide for themselves.

Gus Uhlenbeek

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:08 - Jun 4 with 1408 viewsBlueBadger

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:07 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

Nothing to do with being homophobic. His point is about children being taught about LGBT.
If religious beliefs get in the way of this, then they should be allowed to decide for themselves.

What's wrong with teaching children 'gay people exist, don't be nasty to them'.

'Be excellent to one another' is a basic tenet of Judaism, Islam AND Christianity, after all.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 15:12]

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:10 - Jun 4 with 1398 viewsSpruceMoose

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:07 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

I'd prefer a separation of church and state please. Children shouldn't be educated based on lies and superstitions.

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:14 - Jun 4 with 1378 viewsEwan_Oozami

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:55 - Jun 4 by SpruceMoose

I was going to say, I thought you were one of the sensible types here!

I try not to give Phil H too much to stress about if I can avoid it!

Plus, all these debates about differences and opinions and pack mentality always remind me of this:

I know it's timeless, but it's absolutely amazing how much that film is relevant to today!

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:16 - Jun 4 with 1372 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:08 - Jun 4 by BlueBadger

What's wrong with teaching children 'gay people exist, don't be nasty to them'.

'Be excellent to one another' is a basic tenet of Judaism, Islam AND Christianity, after all.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 15:12]

I agree with this, but i can see why some would not

Gus Uhlenbeek

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:16 - Jun 4 with 1371 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah that one. Denying children a basic education on the grounds of religious beliefs. Never going to end well that discussion.

The trouble here is that Farage is trying to defend someone who's got a long history of opposing anything related to same-sex couple rights and who finds same sex couples disgusting. It's all proven through her voting records and public comments. He's on pretty shaky ground before we even get onto looking at his record of courting open anti-LGBT types.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:17 - Jun 4 with 1364 viewsSpruceMoose

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:16 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

Why would they not want that taught, and why should we respect those reasons?

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:22 - Jun 4 with 1350 viewsBlueBadger

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:16 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

'Because it offends my bigotry' is NEVER a good reason to avoid doing something.

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:30 - Jun 4 with 1327 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 14:39 - Jun 4 by Ewan_Oozami

Always the way. He's always projecting his faults onto his opponents. His Brexit approach is based on the tactic of projections:

Smash the system (of which he's been part of for 20 years)
Destroy the elite and the bureaucrats (if which he's one)
Remoaners aren't patriots (says the man cosying up to foreign interests)

etc., etc...

And, bizarrely, it works. People lap it up thanks to years of conditioning. You now have Brits wandering around London wearing MAGA hats calling people traitors because they think our core institutions shouldn't be sold off to foreign powers. Self-declared patriots who have spent the last 3 years waving union jacks, now openly supporting the US. How screwed up is that? As you say, stratospheric levels of irony. Off the flippin scale.

And not only do people support this stuff, they're prepared to fight over it and pay money to Farage to make it happen.

It's mind blowing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 16:18 - Jun 4 with 1282 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:22 - Jun 4 by BlueBadger

'Because it offends my bigotry' is NEVER a good reason to avoid doing something.

more to do with values and beliefs and personal point of views, not bigotry.

Gus Uhlenbeek

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 16:20 - Jun 4 with 1274 viewsNo9

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 15:30 - Jun 4 by Swansea_Blue

Always the way. He's always projecting his faults onto his opponents. His Brexit approach is based on the tactic of projections:

Smash the system (of which he's been part of for 20 years)
Destroy the elite and the bureaucrats (if which he's one)
Remoaners aren't patriots (says the man cosying up to foreign interests)

etc., etc...

And, bizarrely, it works. People lap it up thanks to years of conditioning. You now have Brits wandering around London wearing MAGA hats calling people traitors because they think our core institutions shouldn't be sold off to foreign powers. Self-declared patriots who have spent the last 3 years waving union jacks, now openly supporting the US. How screwed up is that? As you say, stratospheric levels of irony. Off the flippin scale.

And not only do people support this stuff, they're prepared to fight over it and pay money to Farage to make it happen.

It's mind blowing.

It is indeed mind blowing
Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 16:21 - Jun 4 with 1269 viewsSpruceMoose

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 16:18 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

All of those things you listed can involve bigotry.

But you know that, you silly sausage!
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 16:21]

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 17:43 - Jun 4 with 1215 viewsBlueBadger

Just putting this here so the next time a Brexit Party supporter asks... on 16:18 - Jun 4 by ShropshireBluenago09

If your values include 'I hate gay people' then your values make you a bigot.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024