Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal 09:55 - Jul 27 with 2375 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/27/eu-brexit-weimar-britain

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:19 - Jul 27 with 2337 viewschicoazul

I'll read the article but that headline is awful.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:21 - Jul 27 with 2328 viewssolemio

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:19 - Jul 27 by chicoazul

Read the article and you'll see that the writer of the article agrees with you.
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:21 - Jul 27 with 2330 viewsnrb1985

Opening statement;

"Over the next year or two we could witness the emergence of a rancid, angry Britain: a society riven by domestic divisions and economic difficulties, let down by its ruling classes, fetid with humiliation and resentment"

Wtf does he think we have now???
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:23 - Jul 27 with 2322 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:19 - Jul 27 by chicoazul

Although the first few sentences describe what we already are or, have already become
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:26 - Jul 27 with 2318 viewsgiant_stow

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:21 - Jul 27 by solemio

Read the article and you'll see that the writer of the article agrees with you.

chuckle, yes he does do a bit of a swerve 1 third down! I guess he's over-dramatizing the situation to make a more gentle point.

Anyway, realise these things are subjective, but I thought it was a good read. Interesting that he mentions even pro-eu bods getting a little miffed at their inflexibility.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:26 - Jul 27 with 2319 viewsmanchego

Seriously ? It's garbage.
The EU needs to give us whatever we want otherwise Nazi Britain ?
The EU owe us nothing and there is no way they will give us a deal comparable to the one the folks already in the EU have.

( in the comments : "Unfortunately a lot of people in this country will never forgive Europe for us shooting ourselves in the face" )
[Post edited 27 Jul 2018 10:31]
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:33 - Jul 27 with 2296 viewsgiant_stow

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:26 - Jul 27 by manchego

The EU owe us nothing and there is no way they will give us a deal comparable to the one the folks already in the EU have.

( in the comments : "Unfortunately a lot of people in this country will never forgive Europe for us shooting ourselves in the face" )

Ok, it was a mistake putting my opinion in the title!

Not sure that's quite what he's saying though. I read it as 'sense needs to prevail on both sides or we're screwed'.

I'm a remainer and would happily call the whole thing off as we'll never beat the deal we currently have, *but* the EU doesn't hold every card and we musn't just give everything away for free just to be treated as some lame colony for ever more.

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:47 - Jul 27 with 2279 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:26 - Jul 27 by manchego

The English side has never bothered to understand what the EU is about so it cannot beging to comprehend the EU is merely protectig what the members voted (including the UK) for and has been enshrined in EU law.

The UK negotiators have never bothered to understnad the UK already had a 'preferrential' deal within the EU that other many members wanted nulified anyway.

Tory governments in particular have always screwed up the control & customs arrangements which is why the UK has been in the EU country for trading in what are effectively contraband.
Login to get fewer ads

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:57 - Jul 27 with 2269 viewsgiant_stow

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:47 - Jul 27 by No9

The English side has never bothered to understand what the EU is about so it cannot beging to comprehend the EU is merely protectig what the members voted (including the UK) for and has been enshrined in EU law.

The UK negotiators have never bothered to understnad the UK already had a 'preferrential' deal within the EU that other many members wanted nulified anyway.

Tory governments in particular have always screwed up the control & customs arrangements which is why the UK has been in the EU country for trading in what are effectively contraband.

It feels odd arguing from this standpoint, but the EU can and has shown flexibility to certain countries in certain scenarios - its not impossible, if there's a will.

If there's no will, then I'm not sure why we should cough up that £40b or the services of our armed forces. There's a point where them protecting themselves and their structures becomes aggressive to us.

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 11:08 - Jul 27 with 2247 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:57 - Jul 27 by giant_stow

It feels odd arguing from this standpoint, but the EU can and has shown flexibility to certain countries in certain scenarios - its not impossible, if there's a will.

If there's no will, then I'm not sure why we should cough up that £40b or the services of our armed forces. There's a point where them protecting themselves and their structures becomes aggressive to us.

The EU can & does show some flexibility in trade agreements being made with 3rd countries= not unusual & IF the UK stayed in the EU it too would benefit from such agreements.

If the brexiteers understood they want to depart from the EU which also means departing from from these agreements & therfore can't benefit from them without re-negotiating said agreements with each individual country the realisation of what is ahead may bring about sensible thinking (if that's possiblele?) in the government.

I reality, would any realistic and sensible person think it right to belong to the club then leave but still enjoy all that club benefits they had enjoyed without any obligation or responsibility on the leavers part?

The EU have been more than accommodating in putting up with this rubbish from the governments spoilt children for as long as they have.
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 11:11 - Jul 27 with 2239 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:21 - Jul 27 by nrb1985

Opening statement;

"Over the next year or two we could witness the emergence of a rancid, angry Britain: a society riven by domestic divisions and economic difficulties, let down by its ruling classes, fetid with humiliation and resentment"

We should not overlook the fact that everythign the brexiteers have done demostrates they know how bad it can be (RedWood, Rees-Mogg, Lord Ashcroft etal) and are deliberately driving things down the one way street knowing full well what problems it may bring.

They have been planning this for years
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 11:15 - Jul 27 with 2230 viewshype313

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 11:08 - Jul 27 by No9

The EU can & does show some flexibility in trade agreements being made with 3rd countries= not unusual & IF the UK stayed in the EU it too would benefit from such agreements.

If the brexiteers understood they want to depart from the EU which also means departing from from these agreements & therfore can't benefit from them without re-negotiating said agreements with each individual country the realisation of what is ahead may bring about sensible thinking (if that's possiblele?) in the government.

I reality, would any realistic and sensible person think it right to belong to the club then leave but still enjoy all that club benefits they had enjoyed without any obligation or responsibility on the leavers part?

The EU have been more than accommodating in putting up with this rubbish from the governments spoilt children for as long as they have.

"I reality, would any realistic and sensible person think it right to belong to the club then leave but still enjoy all that club benefits they had enjoyed without any obligation or responsibility on the leavers part? "

The issue with this paragraph is that 17.4m didn't think we had any benefits, or the benefits were outweighed by the negatives, and that was a gross miscalculation by the Remain campaign, rather than run a platform of project fear they should have explained all the benefits we get and what it would mean if we lost them.

I bet the result would have swung in favour of remain if they had done their job properly.

George Osborne is largely to blame for the way they handled the debate.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2018 11:19]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 12:02 - Jul 27 with 2192 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 11:15 - Jul 27 by hype313

"I reality, would any realistic and sensible person think it right to belong to the club then leave but still enjoy all that club benefits they had enjoyed without any obligation or responsibility on the leavers part? "

The issue with this paragraph is that 17.4m didn't think we had any benefits, or the benefits were outweighed by the negatives, and that was a gross miscalculation by the Remain campaign, rather than run a platform of project fear they should have explained all the benefits we get and what it would mean if we lost them.

I bet the result would have swung in favour of remain if they had done their job properly.

There is increasing evidence that the 17.4 Mn didn't really understand what leaving really means - the leavers are still telling porkies in the media daily.

I beleive you know my view is that the man who called the referendum wasn't in favour of the EU which is why the referendum was conducted in the way it was. Look at his record of actions, rather than words, after he became party leader. It is difficult to see how he was ever intent on winnign the referendum - it was an excuse for his way out.
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 12:07 - Jul 27 with 2187 viewsSwansea_Blue

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:21 - Jul 27 by nrb1985

Opening statement;

Quite. First thing that jumps out innit. And not all because of Brexit I might add.

*cough* Tories *cough* austerity*

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 12:13 - Jul 27 with 2159 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 12:07 - Jul 27 by Swansea_Blue

Quite. First thing that jumps out innit. And not all because of Brexit I might add.

*cough* Tories *cough* austerity*

Austerity has nothing to do with the lower paid people getting poorer and work T's & C's getting worse
it's all down to the nasty people in the EU
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 14:58 - Jul 27 with 2057 viewsconnorscontract

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 10:57 - Jul 27 by giant_stow

Your last sentence seems to carry some kind of veiled threat.

Right now the French Air Force is considerably stronger than the RAF. They have many more fighter and attack planes.

The Brexiters should let that sink in.

Militarily we are weaker than France. And let's not trot out that "We have the best army in the world" cliche. Austerity has decimated it and morale is very low.
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 15:47 - Jul 27 with 2031 viewsnrb1985

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 11:11 - Jul 27 by No9

We should not overlook the fact that everythign the brexiteers have done demostrates they know how bad it can be (RedWood, Rees-Mogg, Lord Ashcroft etal) and are deliberately driving things down the one way street knowing full well what problems it may bring.

They have been planning this for years

Tbf to Rees Mogg (and I do hate the c*nt) having Irish domicile funds is very common. Most funds are domiciled in Luxembourg or Ireland and that has nothing to do with Brexit.
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 16:31 - Jul 27 with 2009 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 15:47 - Jul 27 by nrb1985

Tbf to Rees Mogg (and I do hate the c*nt) having Irish domicile funds is very common. Most funds are domiciled in Luxembourg or Ireland and that has nothing to do with Brexit.

http://somersetcm.com

FYI
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 16:34 - Jul 27 with 2009 viewsnrb1985

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 16:31 - Jul 27 by No9

http://somersetcm.com

FYI

Yes I’m an investment analyst, I know Somerset very well. What’s the issue?
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 16:39 - Jul 27 with 1999 viewsNo9

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 16:34 - Jul 27 by nrb1985

Yes I’m an investment analyst, I know Somerset very well. What’s the issue?

OK, sorry, I didn't know your business interests I thought nrb meant, not required back

They don't list Ireland just London & Singapore so I guess the fund is managed in Singapore?

There has also, since 2013 been a move by the EU to clamp down on places like R.o.I. and some fines have already been levied against some companies who are 'tax evading / avoiding'?

So JRM like Redwood knows the UK economy may crumple and is taking avoiding action whilst still pushing for a complete cliff edge job? Sort of don't do as I do do as I tell you?
a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 17:26 - Jul 27 with 1968 viewspickles110564

a fair-minded sensible article on the brexit deal on 11:15 - Jul 27 by hype313

What benefits? you mean like the career politicians lining their pockets? Blair wanting to be president of Europe?
Only negatives staying in that corrupt club.
What we have paid in far out weighs what they are demanding we pay them.
Will we be getting any payments for the projects we helped fund like mortgage payments?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024