Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set 00:58 - Jun 16 with 2520 viewsMelford

Saved 3 Lions for last and the whole pub was singing.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2018 1:00]

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 01:02 - Jun 16 with 2496 viewsjeera

I have to say either you imitate the original artists extremely well, or those aren't you!

When I opened the thread I thought it was a recording of your set.

Where was it?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 01:37 - Jun 16 with 2468 viewsMelford

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 01:02 - Jun 16 by jeera

I have to say either you imitate the original artists extremely well, or those aren't you!

When I opened the thread I thought it was a recording of your set.

Where was it?

Open mike night in the boozer I work in. That was the setlist I did. Before I started this new job I hadn't played live in 15 years. I was in a band that got paid gigs in the Britpop years before I went to uni, then chef life hit in and music took a back seat. Last couple of years I've got back into playing guitar and making music. My front room looks like a recording studio, 3 guitars, a bass, bongos, guitar pedalboard, mixer, various amps, harmonica, melodica, maracas, keyboard/organ, drum machine.

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 01:39 - Jun 16 with 2463 viewsjeera

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 01:37 - Jun 16 by Melford

Open mike night in the boozer I work in. That was the setlist I did. Before I started this new job I hadn't played live in 15 years. I was in a band that got paid gigs in the Britpop years before I went to uni, then chef life hit in and music took a back seat. Last couple of years I've got back into playing guitar and making music. My front room looks like a recording studio, 3 guitars, a bass, bongos, guitar pedalboard, mixer, various amps, harmonica, melodica, maracas, keyboard/organ, drum machine.

" That was the setlist I did."

I gathered that you daft sod.

I meant it would be better to see you perform them.

Good for you though to still have the courage to get up and play.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 02:17 - Jun 16 with 2447 viewsMelford

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 01:39 - Jun 16 by jeera

" That was the setlist I did."

I gathered that you daft sod.

I meant it would be better to see you perform them.

Good for you though to still have the courage to get up and play.

https://soundcloud.com/luke-leon-bloxam

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 03:18 - Jun 16 with 2422 viewsrapier

This one hoped for stand up....
Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 08:43 - Jun 16 with 2310 viewsconnorscontract

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 03:18 - Jun 16 by rapier

This one hoped for stand up....

A half hour stand up set at an Open Mic? Never going to happen.

Comedy works when the room is set up right, when everybody is there for comedy and when the compere does a good job of unifying the audience and establishing the ground rules.

Open Mics are usually free, meaning people wander in and out as they haven't invested anything, and are often in shared space with other drinkers who are chatting, have their backs turned away etc.

Which is fair enough because they aren't there for the open mic, but which kills the gig and is behaviour that under the normal rules of comedy would get called out by the acts or compere. If the acts do try to engage with this behaviour it gets antagonistic because "I don't want to listen to your sh1t comedy I just came out for a drink.'

Please support live comedy but if you want comedy, don't waste your time on Open Mics: go to your local comedy night where the whole audience has paid to get in and is therefore invested in having a good time.

Open mics are great community events but just don't work for comedy.

Disclosure: I'm a mid-level venue comedy promoter.
Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 10:05 - Jun 16 with 2243 viewsLord_Lucan

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 02:17 - Jun 16 by Melford

https://soundcloud.com/luke-leon-bloxam

Very trippy, I really like it.

I keep playing the track I know this

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 10:25 - Jun 16 with 2215 viewsTractorBoy

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 08:43 - Jun 16 by connorscontract

A half hour stand up set at an Open Mic? Never going to happen.

Comedy works when the room is set up right, when everybody is there for comedy and when the compere does a good job of unifying the audience and establishing the ground rules.

Open Mics are usually free, meaning people wander in and out as they haven't invested anything, and are often in shared space with other drinkers who are chatting, have their backs turned away etc.

Which is fair enough because they aren't there for the open mic, but which kills the gig and is behaviour that under the normal rules of comedy would get called out by the acts or compere. If the acts do try to engage with this behaviour it gets antagonistic because "I don't want to listen to your sh1t comedy I just came out for a drink.'

Please support live comedy but if you want comedy, don't waste your time on Open Mics: go to your local comedy night where the whole audience has paid to get in and is therefore invested in having a good time.

Open mics are great community events but just don't work for comedy.

Disclosure: I'm a mid-level venue comedy promoter.

Nice message and support for comedy.
I'm trying to get involved with stand-up in the Midlands at the moment. My first gig was a room of 80/90 and it was £1 entry - everyone wanted to be there and the atmosphere was great! I told them they got value for money with my set, which went down well...
Login to get fewer ads

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 10:28 - Jun 16 with 2213 viewsLord_Lucan

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 10:25 - Jun 16 by TractorBoy

Nice message and support for comedy.
I'm trying to get involved with stand-up in the Midlands at the moment. My first gig was a room of 80/90 and it was £1 entry - everyone wanted to be there and the atmosphere was great! I told them they got value for money with my set, which went down well...

RKD did a stand up session in The Railway pub on Foxhall Rd when he was about 14.

I was too nervous to go and watch.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 11:01 - Jun 16 with 2169 viewshoppy

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 10:28 - Jun 16 by Lord_Lucan

RKD did a stand up session in The Railway pub on Foxhall Rd when he was about 14.

I was too nervous to go and watch.

Has he done any since?

There's a new comedy club in Ipswich we've been supporting - Glass Eye Comedy Club, that have had some really good local comedians performing. It's been at the Brickies (I can't remember which Monday night of the month it's on) although might move venue at some point.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 11:14 - Jun 16 with 2147 viewsLord_Lucan

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 11:01 - Jun 16 by hoppy

Has he done any since?

There's a new comedy club in Ipswich we've been supporting - Glass Eye Comedy Club, that have had some really good local comedians performing. It's been at the Brickies (I can't remember which Monday night of the month it's on) although might move venue at some point.

No, that was his one and only appearance.

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 20:56 - Jun 16 with 2028 viewsMelford

Did Open Mike night tonight, did a half hour set on 10:05 - Jun 16 by Lord_Lucan

Very trippy, I really like it.

I keep playing the track I know this

Cheers, there's a version of Bike by Syd further down that you might like.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024