Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? 23:30 - Apr 27 with 3240 viewsWickwar_Blue

Just curious why, when we discuss our lowest ebb of Towen following hell, that the Duncan years are referenced so much.

I remember Graham Harbey so I know how bad it was but we never seem to reference the brief reign of Mick McGiven. Am I going mad or did Lyall move upstairs leaving him to run things?
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 23:33 - Apr 27 with 3226 viewskeighleyblue

Christ yes. Those awful negative tactics, so opposite to the footballing philosophy of our club.
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 23:55 - Apr 27 with 3166 viewsWickwar_Blue

Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 23:33 - Apr 27 by keighleyblue

Christ yes. Those awful negative tactics, so opposite to the footballing philosophy of our club.

Exactly. Kinda similar to now!
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 06:53 - Apr 28 with 3021 viewsPJH

John Lyall did move upstairs to leave Mick McGiven to run things but I do not think that McGiven was ever officially recognized by the title of Manager, that was still John Lyall.
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 07:36 - Apr 28 with 2948 viewsdickie

Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 06:53 - Apr 28 by PJH

John Lyall did move upstairs to leave Mick McGiven to run things but I do not think that McGiven was ever officially recognized by the title of Manager, that was still John Lyall.

He was listed as manager in the panini sticker album of that year! That means everything in football.
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 07:41 - Apr 28 with 2941 viewsPJH

Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 07:36 - Apr 28 by dickie

He was listed as manager in the panini sticker album of that year! That means everything in football.

But he is NOT listed as manager in "The Who's Who Of Ipswich Town"

I know that at the time it was McGiven that was in charge of all things first team, possibly not transfers,and possibly had the title of Team Manager but I do not think that he was ever Club Manager.
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 07:45 - Apr 28 with 2926 viewsHerbivore

At least we were in the top flight I guess.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 11:25 - Apr 28 with 2775 viewsbluebudgie

I remember the fans were so incensed and utterly fed up with the football at the time, John Lyall who was the official Town manager at the time was forced to resign after a pitch protest after a shocking home performance against Sheffield Wednesday, and even then some fans were saying "careful what you wish for".Well the majority wished Mcgiven along with Lyall gone, they went and George Burley took over and we were all so glad that our wishes had been granted after seeing some of the most attractive football played at Portman Rd for years, hopefully, history is about to repeat itself !!!
Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 13:55 - Apr 28 with 2685 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 11:25 - Apr 28 by bluebudgie

I remember the fans were so incensed and utterly fed up with the football at the time, John Lyall who was the official Town manager at the time was forced to resign after a pitch protest after a shocking home performance against Sheffield Wednesday, and even then some fans were saying "careful what you wish for".Well the majority wished Mcgiven along with Lyall gone, they went and George Burley took over and we were all so glad that our wishes had been granted after seeing some of the most attractive football played at Portman Rd for years, hopefully, history is about to repeat itself !!!

Yes, football was dreadful, but we were in the top flight, fans were reluctant to turn on Lyall too quickly as he was still there, and it was only really just over a year in the end with Mick McGiven in charge.......
Whereas with Duncan it was several seasons of dire mediocrity in the second tier with the backdrop of the Robson years just behind us.

Jewell and Keane (lets not get back into which is worse debate) have probably both trumped Duncan now as worse, but in the context at the time Duncan was the worst ever, and McGiven certainly didn’t emulate him! However it probably still is the case that Duncan is responsible for some of the worst players to pull on the shirt in the clubs history (we’ll documented elsewhere....)

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 15:41 - Apr 28 with 2598 viewsTheBlueBarca

Mick McGiven - never mentioned? on 06:53 - Apr 28 by PJH

He was manager in all but name. Looking back, Mick McGiven did with his non-football what Lyall and Burley could not. Keep us up!

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024