Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shall we open a debate on swearing? 10:36 - Feb 21 with 3421 viewsBluefish

Is it part of life nowadays? Is it still wrong? Are they just words? Is it about a time and a place? Is it accepted more in most situations?

Seems to be needed after Mick upset so many by swearing into thin air and I have upset Phil again building a naughty word on here. It is also an on going debate on a local social media community page where I live.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 10:37]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:40 - Feb 21 with 3024 viewstcblue

Context is everything. It isn't the words Mick used which got up my nose, it was the (potential) direction and aggression of them.

I swear a lot. Not because of vocabulary voids (I hope), just because of cultural background over the years. In my job, it's totally okay to swear when things go wrong, but swearing at someone is going to result in disciplinary actions. Because of context and nuance, which have been the real losers lately.
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:41 - Feb 21 with 3020 viewsJ2BLUE

Weren't most of the stand singing 'Luke f*****g Chambers' moments after the celebrations ended?

This whole episode is an example of the modern football fan at their worst. They are happy to twist the truth and make giant leaps of faith to support their view because that is what they want to believe. If that same thing happened in August with a new manager he'd be a 'legend' because everyone would say it was aimed at Norwich.

Guilty until proven innocent is becoming more and more widespread these days. I find it amusing that he's getting so much stick from people who claim they completely lost it when we scored. Perhaps he did too?
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 10:45]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:43 - Feb 21 with 3014 viewschicoazul

I always think, in life, if you are confused about whether it is ok to do or say something, think about doing/saying it in front of your kids.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 10:44 - Feb 21 with 3004 views_

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:45 - Feb 21 with 3000 viewsSteve_M

Ten minutes since you posted and no-one has replied telling you to "F off". I'm disappointed in TWTD today.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:47 - Feb 21 with 2990 viewsBlueBadger

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:45 - Feb 21 by Steve_M

Ten minutes since you posted and no-one has replied telling you to "F off". I'm disappointed in TWTD today.

Fishers is clearly not trying hard enough. There's not even a mention of why Mick is great and everyone else is wrong for goodness' sake.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:49 - Feb 21 with 2984 viewshype313

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:43 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

I always think, in life, if you are confused about whether it is ok to do or say something, think about doing/saying it in front of your kids.

Bang on the money, I'm quite ambivalent about swearing, but my view instantly changes around my children.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:54 - Feb 21 with 2973 viewsBluefish

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:43 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

But that doesn't really work. I Don't swear in front of my kids but I do quite a lot when they are not there. My son is about to turn 14 and I never allowed him to swear but obviously I know his mates do because i run their football team. I amvnow turning a blind eye to it when he is at football, I won't let him at home though.

I will chuck the c word around all day with friends but wouldn't in front of my mum. I will sometimes swear at work but not if a customer is present. I will swear lots at football

Login to get fewer ads

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:55 - Feb 21 with 2971 viewsBluefish

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:45 - Feb 21 by Steve_M

Maybe they got the same flashing red light that I did earlier, actually no of course they wouldn't have

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:56 - Feb 21 with 2968 viewschicoazul

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:54 - Feb 21 by Bluefish

But that doesn't really work. I Don't swear in front of my kids but I do quite a lot when they are not there. My son is about to turn 14 and I never allowed him to swear but obviously I know his mates do because i run their football team. I amvnow turning a blind eye to it when he is at football, I won't let him at home though.

I will chuck the c word around all day with friends but wouldn't in front of my mum. I will sometimes swear at work but not if a customer is present. I will swear lots at football

It does work since you literally just said you deliberately dont swear in front of your kids.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:57 - Feb 21 with 2969 viewsBluefish

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:47 - Feb 21 by BlueBadger

Fishers is clearly not trying hard enough. There's not even a mention of why Mick is great and everyone else is wrong for goodness' sake.

Shh I am testing out a more subtle approach. It is normally wasted on here though

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:58 - Feb 21 with 2962 viewsBluefish

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:56 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

It does work since you literally just said you deliberately dont swear in front of your kids.

But I am saying that doesn't make it wrong. I don't knock one out in front of my kids either

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:59 - Feb 21 with 2957 viewschicoazul

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:58 - Feb 21 by Bluefish

But I am saying that doesn't make it wrong. I don't knock one out in front of my kids either

I'm pretty sure nobody is confused about whether it is appropriate to masturbate in front of their children.

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:00 - Feb 21 with 2953 viewsBluefish

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:59 - Feb 21 by chicoazul

I'm pretty sure nobody is confused about whether it is appropriate to masturbate in front of their children.

I'm not sure that the Mick out crew would know to draw that line.

Just proving that your test is not as accurate as you think

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:01 - Feb 21 with 2949 viewsBlueBadger

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:57 - Feb 21 by Bluefish

Shh I am testing out a more subtle approach. It is normally wasted on here though

My new favourite one is the bloke from last night who asked me 'are you really happy with McCartney's(sic) running of our club'?

Now there's a guy who would be revered as a GOD on news comments.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 11:11]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:03 - Feb 21 with 2936 viewsBluefish

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:01 - Feb 21 by BlueBadger

My new favourite one is the bloke from last night who asked me 'are you really happy with McCartney's(sic) running of our club'?

Now there's a guy who would be revered as a GOD on news comments.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 11:11]

The voice of the fans.....

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:11 - Feb 21 with 2913 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's less about the words and more about the context. Swearing because you dropped something on your foot, or your team scored what you thought was a last minute winner, is acceptable. Swearing in a meeting with a client isn't, simply because it would show a lack of decorum (and there are many other ways you could show a lack of decorum). Equally swearing AT someone is overly aggressive.

Over all, though, if swearing were more accepted it would soon lose its power, so it's actually the people who are offended by swearing that keep it going as an offensive thing.

Some words have already lost their power through over use - for example "knackered". I remember being told off for using this word when I was a kid and not knowing why. Apparently it originally meant 'tired after sex'. I'm still amazed that 'b@gger' is considered a swear word on here when I imagine very few use it to describe a sexual act as opposed to an exclamation such as "damn" or in the context 'b@gger that' as in "I'm not doing that".

It's interesting that Russell Brand's 'Recovery' book/program (a self-help program about recovering from addiction) uses the F word a lot (i.e. "Step 1: Are you a bit f@cked?, Step 2: Could you not be f@cked?" etc.) Presumably the use here is to make the program more accessible to ordinary people.

Sometimes a swear word (as in the example above) is just the most accurate way of getting across what you want to say or how you're feeling.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:17 - Feb 21 with 2898 viewshorsehollerer

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 10:40 - Feb 21 by tcblue

Context is everything. It isn't the words Mick used which got up my nose, it was the (potential) direction and aggression of them.

I swear a lot. Not because of vocabulary voids (I hope), just because of cultural background over the years. In my job, it's totally okay to swear when things go wrong, but swearing at someone is going to result in disciplinary actions. Because of context and nuance, which have been the real losers lately.

In the interests of devil's advocacy, what about the part of the context where nobody was supposed to see or hear what Mick did/said?

The only reason we know what he said is because Sky had a camera pointing at the dugout from 100 yards away on the other side of the ground, and zoomed right in for a close-up of his face. I get that this sort of scrutiny goes with the job, but even if Mick was aiming his tirade the fans, he wouldn't have expected them to see it or hear it in the middle of the goal celebration.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:17 - Feb 21 with 2896 viewsSteve_M

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:11 - Feb 21 by BrixtonBlue

It's less about the words and more about the context. Swearing because you dropped something on your foot, or your team scored what you thought was a last minute winner, is acceptable. Swearing in a meeting with a client isn't, simply because it would show a lack of decorum (and there are many other ways you could show a lack of decorum). Equally swearing AT someone is overly aggressive.

Over all, though, if swearing were more accepted it would soon lose its power, so it's actually the people who are offended by swearing that keep it going as an offensive thing.

Some words have already lost their power through over use - for example "knackered". I remember being told off for using this word when I was a kid and not knowing why. Apparently it originally meant 'tired after sex'. I'm still amazed that 'b@gger' is considered a swear word on here when I imagine very few use it to describe a sexual act as opposed to an exclamation such as "damn" or in the context 'b@gger that' as in "I'm not doing that".

It's interesting that Russell Brand's 'Recovery' book/program (a self-help program about recovering from addiction) uses the F word a lot (i.e. "Step 1: Are you a bit f@cked?, Step 2: Could you not be f@cked?" etc.) Presumably the use here is to make the program more accessible to ordinary people.

Sometimes a swear word (as in the example above) is just the most accurate way of getting across what you want to say or how you're feeling.

Knackered comes from the treatment of rather old and, err, knackered horses:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/knacker

Not sure where any sexual connotations come in there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

on 11:20 - Feb 21 with 2885 views_

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:17 - Feb 21 by Steve_M

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:22 - Feb 21 with 2883 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:41 - Feb 21 by J2BLUE

Weren't most of the stand singing 'Luke f*****g Chambers' moments after the celebrations ended?

This whole episode is an example of the modern football fan at their worst. They are happy to twist the truth and make giant leaps of faith to support their view because that is what they want to believe. If that same thing happened in August with a new manager he'd be a 'legend' because everyone would say it was aimed at Norwich.

Guilty until proven innocent is becoming more and more widespread these days. I find it amusing that he's getting so much stick from people who claim they completely lost it when we scored. Perhaps he did too?
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 10:45]

Actually... it’s ‘one f**king Chambers’

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:26 - Feb 21 with 2877 viewsBlueBadger

I rather fear that this may be opening up a whole can of worms about Dollars' sex life that I'd rather not think about.

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 12:10 - Feb 21 with 2825 viewsBrixtonBlue

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Knackered&utm_source=search-acti

2. Sexually spent.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 12:17 - Feb 21 with 2807 viewstcblue

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:17 - Feb 21 by horsehollerer

In the interests of devil's advocacy, what about the part of the context where nobody was supposed to see or hear what Mick did/said?

The only reason we know what he said is because Sky had a camera pointing at the dugout from 100 yards away on the other side of the ground, and zoomed right in for a close-up of his face. I get that this sort of scrutiny goes with the job, but even if Mick was aiming his tirade the fans, he wouldn't have expected them to see it or hear it in the middle of the goal celebration.

I don't think it changes my point about context, to be honest. If I aggressively swore at someone at work, but wanted nobody to see or hear, but they did, I wouldn't expect any leniency as it is a total slip of professionalism.

I totally understand how charged up it was, and that passion is part of the game. I just wish he had the thick skin he pretends to have and used it to take the moral high road.
Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 12:22 - Feb 21 with 2794 viewsRyorry

Shall we open a debate on swearing? on 11:17 - Feb 21 by horsehollerer

Then that just shows that he's not competent in the area of contemporary coverage of football or public relations. Every 10-year old kid who's into football knows that there are literally hundreds or even thousands of cameras (if you include fans' phones) scrutinizing every word & gesture that managers and players come out with.

As for the OP, I'm sick to bloody! death of people on here twisting things to say such as "Mick upset" fans by "swearing". I haven't seen one single person who's taken it personally or been "upset" in the petty way that the OP suggests. Many people like myself have been annoyed tho, at just another demonstration of MM's lack of professionalism, setting a poor example of self-discipline to the players, potentially putting off parents of young kids getting them to go to games etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024