Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I may be a couple years behind the times but 17:02 - Sep 24 with 1466 viewsIllinoisblue

Since when did Sheff Wednesday stop having a striped shirt?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I may be a couple years behind the times but on 17:13 - Sep 24 with 1441 viewsSitfcB

They went to pin stripes a couple of years back I think.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I may be a couple years behind the times but on 17:22 - Sep 24 with 1423 viewsyorkshireblue

It's because it's their 150th anniversary, and is a throwback to their old shirts.
I may be a couple years behind the times but on 22:59 - Sep 24 with 1234 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Wednesday wore blue with white sleeves for years. It's only since the 70s they wore stripes.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

I may be a couple years behind the times but on 02:09 - Sep 25 with 1170 viewsWednesdayJon

I may be a couple years behind the times but on 22:59 - Sep 24 by The_Last_Baron

Wednesday wore blue with white sleeves for years. It's only since the 70s they wore stripes.

Wednesday, like most clubs, have played in various combinations of quartered, striped, hooped and plain coloured shirts. However, for the vast majority of our history, it has been various forms of blue & white stripes.

During the mid to late sixties, stripes were abandoned in favour of a blue/white version of the Arsenal shirt of the time, Royal blue body with white sleeves. This was/is THE shirt for me as I first saw Wednesday play in this kit when I first started going in 1968. . . . . For those (few) remaining fans who are older than me, it is hated. For those many fans younger than me, it is hated!! We reverted to stripes again in the early 1970's

Also, apparently, the incumbent Thai owner dislikes stripes, so we had the subtle pinstripe thing last year, and this masterpiece for this! This is our 150th anniversary (The Wednesday FC formed 1867), and the current shirt, though 'retro', bears no relationship of any kind to that fact really.

We also look a bit like ITFC, but no longer defend nearly as well*

*As written before I read of your perceived 'defensive lapses' at Leeds, perhaps i should have said 'no longer defend as well as a Mick McCarthy side would normally do'!
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 2:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024