Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
72% Youth Turnout 14:11 - Jun 9 with 1611 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Great to see my age group and fellow 18-24 year olds had such a high percentage turnout rate.

Especially after that thread on here yesterday about the low turnout expected of youths. I too thought 55%-60% would be about right.

But 72%... a pleasant suprise

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

72% Youth Turnout on 15:20 - Jun 9 with 1569 viewsLord_Lucan

I wonder how many would have bothered if free education wasn't mentioned though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

72% Youth Turnout on 15:58 - Jun 9 with 1556 viewsclive_baker

I always found it so patronising how people were patting my age group on the back for getting out and voting when we were 18-24. People have kids or go to war at that age, getting my arse down to a polling station and having an opinion on issues that will effect my day to day isn't something to be applauded really, it should be a given.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

72% Youth Turnout on 16:01 - Jun 9 with 1546 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

72% Youth Turnout on 15:58 - Jun 9 by clive_baker

I always found it so patronising how people were patting my age group on the back for getting out and voting when we were 18-24. People have kids or go to war at that age, getting my arse down to a polling station and having an opinion on issues that will effect my day to day isn't something to be applauded really, it should be a given.

It's not the actual simple task of voting that should be applauded

It's the fact that it was taken as a given by many that the turnout would be low. As an age group, we've surprised a lot of people I think.

I wonder what the average turnout for 18-24 year olds was in your time

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

72% Youth Turnout on 16:02 - Jun 9 with 1538 viewsmanchego

72% Youth Turnout on 15:58 - Jun 9 by clive_baker

That's how I feel.
If they are voters who "forgot" to vote on Brexit but now think they have saved the country they deserve a slap.
72% Youth Turnout on 16:03 - Jun 9 with 1533 viewscolchesterchris

72% Youth Turnout on 15:20 - Jun 9 by Lord_Lucan

I wonder how many would have bothered if free education wasn't mentioned though.

Fair point, but you could make the same argument about the older vote, who are usually well looked after in manifestos.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

72% Youth Turnout on 16:05 - Jun 9 with 1528 viewsClapham_Junction

Also, I hope the result in Canterbury will make students realise what they can do when they vote in large numbers.

Possibly the most amazing result of the night.
72% Youth Turnout on 16:07 - Jun 9 with 1522 viewsclive_baker

72% Youth Turnout on 16:01 - Jun 9 by The_Romford_Blue

It's not the actual simple task of voting that should be applauded

It's the fact that it was taken as a given by many that the turnout would be low. As an age group, we've surprised a lot of people I think.

I wonder what the average turnout for 18-24 year olds was in your time

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying comparatively 18-24's of today didn't turn out in more numbers than 10 years ago, I don't know the stats. All I'm saying is I would be embarrassed to be one of these 'yeah politiks don't interest me' yooths, in my day or yours.

Stop making me say 'my day', makes me feel old. I'm 29 ffs.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

72% Youth Turnout on 16:11 - Jun 9 with 1499 viewsstantheman

It was most probably the only thing they heard for 80% of them. Corbyn virtually knew he was going to lose, so he could promise the earth whilst knowing he would not be in a position to make his manifesto actually work.
Login to get fewer ads

72% Youth Turnout on 16:15 - Jun 9 with 1484 viewstractorboy7777

At their age though, they still would likely miss the cut off for free tuition.

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024