Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Adam Armstrong 09:50 - May 12 with 1038 viewsurbanblue

Am I correct in recalling that we were linked with him at the start of the season?

If Southampton don't go up I wonder if we'll go back in fir him. Great player.
Adam Armstrong on 09:52 - May 12 with 1002 viewsITFCBlues

Is he a PL player? His record suggests no.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Adam Armstrong on 09:57 - May 12 with 966 viewsKieran_Knows

It wouldn’t surprise me. We do seem to hold long standing interest in players that we don’t particularly get the first time around (Hirst, Sarmiento, Taylor and I’m sure 1 other spring to mind).

So might be a deal we can get done this time around if they don’t come up with us.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Adam Armstrong on 09:58 - May 12 with 951 viewsITFCBlues

Adam Armstrong on 09:57 - May 12 by Kieran_Knows

It wouldn’t surprise me. We do seem to hold long standing interest in players that we don’t particularly get the first time around (Hirst, Sarmiento, Taylor and I’m sure 1 other spring to mind).

So might be a deal we can get done this time around if they don’t come up with us.

Surely we'd need better?

Adam Armstrong on 10:01 - May 12 with 933 viewsle2blue

Adam Armstrong on 09:52 - May 12 by ITFCBlues

Some said the same about George Hirst last season about stepping up…McKenna worked his magic there and if he believes AA can do it then great.
[Post edited 12 May 10:04]
Adam Armstrong on 10:05 - May 12 with 886 viewsStokieBlue

Adam Armstrong on 10:01 - May 12 by le2blue

Some said the same about George Hirst last season about stepping up…McKenna worked his magic there and if he believes AA can do it then great.
[Post edited 12 May 10:04]

I think that's totally different though.

Armstrong has played in the PL and simply not done it.

He's played 68 games in the PL and scored 4 goals I believe, compared to the Champ where he has scored over 100.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Adam Armstrong on 10:06 - May 12 with 876 viewsurbanblue

Adam Armstrong on 09:52 - May 12 by ITFCBlues

Playing in a struggling team under changing managers. This season he has been voted Player of the Season by both the fans and players.

If we were in for him you can bet Keiren sees something he likes and it isn't hard to see what Armstrong could potentially be capable of under our managers guidance.
Adam Armstrong on 10:08 - May 12 with 864 viewsurbanblue

Adam Armstrong on 10:05 - May 12 by StokieBlue

He's played 68 games in the PL and scored 4 goals I believe, compared to the Champ where he has scored over 100.

SB

Context ... Southampton were a mess.
Adam Armstrong on 10:14 - May 12 with 800 viewsStokieBlue

Adam Armstrong on 10:08 - May 12 by urbanblue

Context ... Southampton were a mess.

To a point that is correct but they weren't enough of a mess to get relegated in the first season he was in the PL (and he was comfortably out scored by Che Adams).

One could just as easily argue that the context is that the evidence shows he can only do it at Champ level. Most of the podcasts I've listened to seem to think he's in that grey area - too good for the Champ but not quite good enough for the PL.

If McKenna wants him then I'll be fully behind it but I just don't really see where he fits in our formation and style - in many ways that seems the most important thing that McKenna looks for and needs to be considered when making these suggestions.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Adam Armstrong on 10:18 - May 12 with 776 viewsjayessess

Adam Armstrong on 10:05 - May 12 by StokieBlue

SB

If there's any club in the world that should know not to typecast players based on what they've done for other sides or where their career has got them to this point, it should be us, shouldn't?
[Post edited 12 May 10:42]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Adam Armstrong on 10:18 - May 12 with 770 viewsITFCBlues

Adam Armstrong on 10:06 - May 12 by urbanblue

Playing in a struggling team under changing managers. This season he has been voted Player of the Season by both the fans and players.

If we were in for him you can bet Keiren sees something he likes and it isn't hard to see what Armstrong could potentially be capable of under our managers guidance.

We'd also be a struggling team, unless you think we're CL challengers?

He also started with a fairly stable manager etc, only at the end they changed managers.

Adam Armstrong on 10:21 - May 12 with 750 viewsurbanblue

Adam Armstrong on 10:14 - May 12 by StokieBlue

To a point that is correct but they weren't enough of a mess to get relegated in the first season he was in the PL (and he was comfortably out scored by Che Adams).

One could just as easily argue that the context is that the evidence shows he can only do it at Champ level. Most of the podcasts I've listened to seem to think he's in that grey area - too good for the Champ but not quite good enough for the PL.

If McKenna wants him then I'll be fully behind it but I just don't really see where he fits in our formation and style - in many ways that seems the most important thing that McKenna looks for and needs to be considered when making these suggestions.

SB

Fair points but if we were in for him then kMc must have seen a place for him in our style. A style that, of course, may well be tweaked in the Prem.

I'm just thinking out loud because I really like him as a player. Has that Messi like low centre of gravity that seems to go with a sharpness on the ball.

We were in for Stansfield who is not dissimilar. Do you think he fits with our style ... or Smodic?
Adam Armstrong on 10:23 - May 12 with 736 viewsStokieBlue

Adam Armstrong on 10:18 - May 12 by jayessess

If there's any club in the world that should know not to typecast players based on what they've done for other sides or where their career has got them to this point, it should be us, shouldn't?
[Post edited 12 May 10:42]

Up to a point.

When you're talking a fee that's likely 15m GBP though I think past performance is a justifiable context to look at.

None of the success stories at the club came in for big money and thus it was far less of a risk.

SB

Adam Armstrong on 10:38 - May 12 with 663 viewstractorboy1978

Adam Armstrong on 10:23 - May 12 by StokieBlue

Up to a point.

When you're talking a fee that's likely 15m GBP though I think past performance is a justifiable context to look at.

None of the success stories at the club came in for big money and thus it was far less of a risk.

SB

I am not going to argue whether Armstrong would be a good signing or not, but realistically any player we sign this summer is going to be a calculated risk. Our pool of players we spend £ on is either going to be players from Europe/the best Championship players, both of which are untested in the PL. Or it is going to be players that for whatever reason haven't quite done it at another PL club. We aren't going to be going out signing established, successful PL players in their primes.

It's the same risks as the last two seasons, just with bigger numbers.
Adam Armstrong on 10:46 - May 12 with 629 viewsjayessess

Adam Armstrong on 10:23 - May 12 by StokieBlue

Up to a point.

SB

Would be surprised if Southampton could command that sort of fee for him (they paid £15m when they bought him in 2021 and, as you've pointed out, he's not really justified the fee since).

Just don't think I'd write him off being able to succeed now, with more experience and in different circumstances, system, manager (and I'd trust the club knew what it was doing if they pursued it).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Adam Armstrong on 10:46 - May 12 with 624 viewsDarkBrandon

Adam Armstrong on 10:38 - May 12 by tractorboy1978

I am not going to argue whether Armstrong would be a good signing or not, but realistically any player we sign this summer is going to be a calculated risk. Our pool of players we spend £ on is either going to be players from Europe/the best Championship players, both of which are untested in the PL. Or it is going to be players that for whatever reason haven't quite done it at another PL club. We aren't going to be going out signing established, successful PL players in their primes.

It's the same risks as the last two seasons, just with bigger numbers.

Yeah, this is right I think.

Every market is tough to compete in, and the one for clubs trying to establish themselves in the PL is no different

Having KM as manager is a continued blessing though. Players will look to him as a good opportunity to improve their games
Adam Armstrong on 11:21 - May 12 with 523 viewsKieran_Knows

Adam Armstrong on 09:58 - May 12 by ITFCBlues

Surely we'd need better?

Obviously there’ll be a bigger market available to us now i.e signing players from abroad. But wouldn’t be adverse to signing anyone that McKenna thinks is good enough, and as I say, we have a record for going back in for players even when we don’t get that first time around.

If he was available for a modest fee (I would presume he would be if they don’t get promoted), and McKenna still thinks he’s good enough, I wouldn’t be against it.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024