Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. 20:21 - May 9 with 1997 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

This might be an unpopular opinion but I think it's a case of less is more for a number of reasons.

The way we play and have everyone so dialled in I believe despite it being a huge step up we will make it. Don't forget Plymouth finished above us last year and yet in the higher division we were a million times better than them. A lot of that is to do with the tactical nous of KMc and the players to carry it out.

Don't forget back when we went up as the play-off winners we only had 1 new signing that was a regular in the Hermanator. We finished 5th. The jump in quality was huge back then also but we had a great bunch of players all knowing the system, parallels to this time around also.

Look at Leverkusen. Player for player they don't have the best squad in Germany but team ethos and tactics mean they do have the best team. Football at the moment feels very innovative from a tactical standpoint and we have the man at the absolute forefront of that.

I am not naive enough to think we don't need any signings and we really could do with Hutchinson because he knows exactly how this team works and there will be others but I'd be surprised if there is more than 2 or maybe 3 new faces in the starting 11 come kick of in our first game.

(There are all kinds of stuff on YT right now but this is a smart man that explains exactly how we have done it and McKenna's style and is a great watch if you have a spare 15 mins)

[Post edited 9 May 22:48]
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 20:30 - May 9 with 1900 viewsMK1

I agree to an extent. A starting RB is a must. A new CM with younger legs also needed. A CF with Premier League experience would be desired. Other than that, let those who got us there have their deserved crack at it.
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 20:32 - May 9 with 1900 viewsKieran_Knows

If it’s not between 8-10, I’ll be amazed. Luton kept the bulk of their squad together last summer and still signed 13 players.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 20:50 - May 9 with 1824 viewssurreyblue

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 20:32 - May 9 by Kieran_Knows

If it’s not between 8-10, I’ll be amazed. Luton kept the bulk of their squad together last summer and still signed 13 players.

Completely agree.

Minus the loan players, Donacian and Ball, and assuming those loaned out last season dont come back into the squad, we would need 2 defenders, a CM, 2 AMs and a striker just to stand still in terms of numbers.

Then you have chances to upgrade - Harness and Jackson are the obvious contenders, maybe Al Hamadi goes out on loan and we need a third striker to provide cover, maybe Edmundson leaves and we upgrade the defence? And who knows if Hdlacky, Walton and Slicker will all be in the squad come the end of August.

So that is 6 to fill the gaps and another 5-6 plausible upgrades that I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid at
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:11 - May 9 with 1708 viewsMK1

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 20:50 - May 9 by surreyblue

Completely agree.

Minus the loan players, Donacian and Ball, and assuming those loaned out last season dont come back into the squad, we would need 2 defenders, a CM, 2 AMs and a striker just to stand still in terms of numbers.

Then you have chances to upgrade - Harness and Jackson are the obvious contenders, maybe Al Hamadi goes out on loan and we need a third striker to provide cover, maybe Edmundson leaves and we upgrade the defence? And who knows if Hdlacky, Walton and Slicker will all be in the squad come the end of August.

So that is 6 to fill the gaps and another 5-6 plausible upgrades that I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid at

Walton
New RB....Axel....Burgess....Davis

Morsy....New CM

Hutchinson ........New.10.... Broadhead

Hirst

Bench....
Hladky, Woolfy, Clarke, Eddy, Luongo, Chaplin, Burns, Moore, Travis, Taylor, Sammy, Al Hamadi, Humphreys New CF.

That would do for me.
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:17 - May 9 with 1633 viewssurreyblue

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:11 - May 9 by MK1

Walton
New RB....Axel....Burgess....Davis

Morsy....New CM

Hutchinson ........New.10.... Broadhead

Hirst

Bench....
Hladky, Woolfy, Clarke, Eddy, Luongo, Chaplin, Burns, Moore, Travis, Taylor, Sammy, Al Hamadi, Humphreys New CF.

That would do for me.

That is 8 signings already - and no back-up left back either.

Maybe we need to decide a board-wide policy about whether the number of signings stated includes or excludes loan players from this season coming back!
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:25 - May 9 with 1565 viewscressi

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:17 - May 9 by surreyblue

That is 8 signings already - and no back-up left back either.

Maybe we need to decide a board-wide policy about whether the number of signings stated includes or excludes loan players from this season coming back!

8 to 10 minimum and that is without players leaving we have not allowed for.
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:36 - May 9 with 1490 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'm really on the fence with it.

The Burley season showed how good a solid squad unit can do when momentum continues.

However.. if we base our thoughts on some of the battles we've have this season, it does make you think that we are quite far away from having a prem league level side.

We've won promotion. Great. We've had some amazing wins. We've got back into games and I think got the most points from losing positions. We've also scored a sht load of goals.. everything about the season is a positive.

However imo We've still faced a couple of problems through this season which whilst we managed to overcome them I'm not sure we'd have the same result in the prem..

Low block.. do teams even do this in the prem? And if so. If its something We've struggled with at champ level, how are we going to break down prem teams

Then the opposition.. the direct runners at our side..
We've seen a fair few times when teams get at us we have on occasions struggled to contain. I'm only calling it a struggle rather than a problem as we overcome the majority of the attempts with our excellent attacking player ourselves.. but would we have the same results at the highest level..

No-one Is expecting anywhere near similar seasons as we've just had. If we did wow. But it's not an expectation.. for me it's just about surviving that first couple seasons..

Is our current side good enough to do that? No. But the question really is how many additions do we need.. and that's the tricky part.

But based on the above. I'd say your looking at the following
New RB
New LB
2 x New CM
2 x New 10s
New RW
New LW
2 x New strikers
New CB maybe 2. I'm really not sure.
New GK
[Post edited 9 May 21:36]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:37 - May 9 with 1478 viewsWakh

We’ll be losing about 9 so there be a lot of new faces . If we don’t replace them with players who will improve us,then we stand still. You might not be too far wrong on the 2 or 3 new faces in the opening day starting line up but imagine there will be far more as the new team finds its best its rhythm. Think you might be surprised who we get in there clearly a plan
Login to get fewer ads

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:46 - May 9 with 1435 viewscressi

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 21:36 - May 9 by FrimleyBlue

I'm really on the fence with it.

The Burley season showed how good a solid squad unit can do when momentum continues.

However.. if we base our thoughts on some of the battles we've have this season, it does make you think that we are quite far away from having a prem league level side.

We've won promotion. Great. We've had some amazing wins. We've got back into games and I think got the most points from losing positions. We've also scored a sht load of goals.. everything about the season is a positive.

However imo We've still faced a couple of problems through this season which whilst we managed to overcome them I'm not sure we'd have the same result in the prem..

Low block.. do teams even do this in the prem? And if so. If its something We've struggled with at champ level, how are we going to break down prem teams

Then the opposition.. the direct runners at our side..
We've seen a fair few times when teams get at us we have on occasions struggled to contain. I'm only calling it a struggle rather than a problem as we overcome the majority of the attempts with our excellent attacking player ourselves.. but would we have the same results at the highest level..

No-one Is expecting anywhere near similar seasons as we've just had. If we did wow. But it's not an expectation.. for me it's just about surviving that first couple seasons..

Is our current side good enough to do that? No. But the question really is how many additions do we need.. and that's the tricky part.

But based on the above. I'd say your looking at the following
New RB
New LB
2 x New CM
2 x New 10s
New RW
New LW
2 x New strikers
New CB maybe 2. I'm really not sure.
New GK
[Post edited 9 May 21:36]

Times have changed u can make 5 subs minimum now
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 22:36 - May 9 with 1221 viewsKropotkin123

I'm not sure if I'm agreeing or disagreeing with you...

We have 4 returning loanees (S, TW, FW, DM). We will try a replace them (could be with themselves).

We tried to upgrade on the RB, until that fell apart. We will likely try again.

We have lost Aluko . We may try and replace him.

We don't have a 2nd LB, we will likely try and get coverage.

So that is 6-7 before we start think about a few upgrades on peripheral squad members.

I think we could see ~10 new faces (including any returning loanees). But as you say, minimal initial disruption to the first team. From those bought I could see the RB starting, and the others competing for a starting place.
[Post edited 9 May 22:38]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 22:42 - May 9 with 1185 viewsjayessess

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 22:36 - May 9 by Kropotkin123

I'm not sure if I'm agreeing or disagreeing with you...

We have 4 returning loanees (S, TW, FW, DM). We will try a replace them (could be with themselves).

We tried to upgrade on the RB, until that fell apart. We will likely try again.

We have lost Aluko . We may try and replace him.

We don't have a 2nd LB, we will likely try and get coverage.

So that is 6-7 before we start think about a few upgrades on peripheral squad members.

I think we could see ~10 new faces (including any returning loanees). But as you say, minimal initial disruption to the first team. From those bought I could see the RB starting, and the others competing for a starting place.
[Post edited 9 May 22:38]

I wonder if Axel at right back still quite suits us going up? When McKenna was improving us defensively in his first season we were playing 3-4-2-1 with Donacien at CB/RB. Wonder if we'd consider going back to that?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 22:52 - May 9 with 1118 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 20:32 - May 9 by Kieran_Knows

I think we’ll sign 6-8. But like I say as for starting 11 I’m anticipating 1st game no more than 2 or 3.l new players. It will be fun seeing exactly what happens.
Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 01:03 - May 10 with 963 viewsGarv

Completely agree.

We'll evolve and I'm sure we'll take fewer risks, but our team is our biggest strength. I can see everyone in our current best XI being in contention for a starting spot on the first day.

Most of them are a good age and all of them can still improve, and with another pre season with McKenna they probably will.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 06:42 - May 10 with 738 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We also kept our squad together and still signed 11 players this season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Signings.....we don't need as many as some seem to think. on 07:13 - May 10 with 653 viewsITFCBlues

This is completely different to the last time we were promoted. That squad was built up over years to get promotion at championship level. We've got promoted really quickly. Not to mention the Premier league is a completely different animal now. Every squads packed with 30m players, if we don't invest, we will end up like Norwich in previous seasons.

We've also got 8-9 players out of contract or loan deals ending. These will all need replacing and will be. We can't afford to stand still.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024