Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Uyghurs 10:02 - May 8 with 768 viewsWeWereZombies

I don't know how much good a petition to our callow government can do to affect Xi and his cohort but if anyone is concerned about their plight:

https://www.antislavery.org/support-wuc-court-of-appeal/?utm_source=email&ut

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Uyghurs on 12:09 - May 8 with 668 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Thanks for sharing.

Another rogue nation we trade with due to our limp politicians. When they aren’t brutalising the Uyghurs, they are hacking the MoD and undermining our parliament. China should be under sanctions, and heavy tariffs on importing their goods (for the good of the planet also).
Uyghurs on 13:29 - May 8 with 625 viewsnoggin

Uyghurs on 12:09 - May 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Thanks for sharing.

Another rogue nation we trade with due to our limp politicians. When they aren’t brutalising the Uyghurs, they are hacking the MoD and undermining our parliament. China should be under sanctions, and heavy tariffs on importing their goods (for the good of the planet also).

Tbf, I'm pretty sure the UK will be doing similar to China.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Uyghurs on 13:32 - May 8 with 607 viewsfooters

Thanks for sharing.

And there were many who were lobbying for Huawei to be used in critical UK infrastructure. Nuts.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Uyghurs on 13:32 - May 8 with 593 viewschicoazul

As you’re about to find out OP there are always bootlickers for the CCP on here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Uyghurs on 13:35 - May 8 with 585 viewsnoggin

Uyghurs on 13:32 - May 8 by chicoazul

As you’re about to find out OP there are always bootlickers for the CCP on here.

I love Special Foo Yung.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Uyghurs on 14:06 - May 8 with 540 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Uyghurs on 13:29 - May 8 by noggin

Tbf, I'm pretty sure the UK will be doing similar to China.

You have to have democracy, for it to be undermined mate.
Uyghurs on 16:21 - May 8 with 473 viewsRadlett_blue

Thanks for sharing.

Are you suggesting that the UK refused to trade with countries with undemocratic regimes?
Yes, let's hurt our economy by sanctioning China & abandon valuable business with Saudi Arabia.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Uyghurs on 16:39 - May 8 with 451 viewsBlueschev

Thanks for sharing.

The western world has grown accustomed to a never ending flow of cheap consumer goods from China. Economic growth trumps human rights, everyone knows that.
Login to get fewer ads

Uyghurs on 16:59 - May 8 with 432 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Uyghurs on 16:21 - May 8 by Radlett_blue

Are you suggesting that the UK refused to trade with countries with undemocratic regimes?
Yes, let's hurt our economy by sanctioning China & abandon valuable business with Saudi Arabia.

We just pick and choose don’t we - huge commodity producers Russia, Iran, Venezuela are all heavily sanctioned. The EU will be pushing forward with tariffs on China soon anyhow. The German car industry is lobbying heavily as China floods the EU with cheap EV’s. We did far more damage to our economy by leaving the single market than we would adding trade barriers with China.

Trump will also reignite a trade his trade war with them if (when?!) elected, though not for any moral reasons - it will be because of the strong dollar.
Uyghurs on 07:32 - May 15 with 211 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Uyghurs on 16:59 - May 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

We just pick and choose don’t we - huge commodity producers Russia, Iran, Venezuela are all heavily sanctioned. The EU will be pushing forward with tariffs on China soon anyhow. The German car industry is lobbying heavily as China floods the EU with cheap EV’s. We did far more damage to our economy by leaving the single market than we would adding trade barriers with China.

Trump will also reignite a trade his trade war with them if (when?!) elected, though not for any moral reasons - it will be because of the strong dollar.

Looks like I jumped the gun on this, and Biden has beaten Trump to increasing tariffs on Chinese imports. These aren’t as far reaching as Trump’s precious trade barriers- targeting mainly EV’s and their components (but they are more punitive with some tariffs increasing from 25pc to 100pc):

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2024/05/14/biden-outdoes-trump-w

Whilst inevitable given how strong the Dollar has been trading, it has to be seen as an element of electioneering given the timing and severity. The EU as I mentioned before is likely to follow too - “The European Commission is in the midst of an anti-subsidy investigation that could also lead to higher tariffs on Chinese evs.”

Given the pullback of Western firms investing in China, it seems companies are fairly muted about losing access to the Chinese market. CCP interference, theft of IP, and general geopolitical tensions have led to many Western firms reducing, or exiting their Chinese presence in the last 2-3 years anyway. Interesting times ahead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024