Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. 09:06 - May 2 with 2273 viewsbaxterbasics

Obviously we know that the result is an accumulation of performances over 46 games, but psychologically it is natural to attach significance to one moment. Once we know where we are at come Saturday afternoon, good or bad, what is the defining moment that got us there for you?

For me the winning moment would be the late goal vs Southampton.

If it all goes t!ts up, I'm blaming the reverse at Cardiff. We'd already be up if not for that extra minute.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 09:09 - May 2 with 2004 viewsAsa

Rather than any individual game I'd say you could look at a number of more significant things.

For me Hirst's injury, Morsy suspensions and Burgess going away with Australia.

We dropped points to QPR / Stoke in games I'm sure we'd have won with a striker, around the same time we hugely missed Morsy and we looked so much better once Burgess came back into the side.

If for any of those we could have been up by now. If we miss out Saturday then it'll on goal difference and a single point anywhere would be looked back as the reason we missed out be it Rotherham's equaliser, the apology from officials at Preston, losing at Norwich, pretty much every match we didn't win aside from Leeds away really.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 09:10 - May 2 with 1994 viewsgainsboroughblue

Agree and agree. However, the two cancel one another out if you take the long view of the whole campaign for reassurance.

If we are using late goal metrics, we've gained more than lost. I think?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The moments that won (or lost) it for us.. on 09:43 - May 2 with 1877 viewsBasuco

19% of Towns goals scored were between 81 to 90 minutes, 32% of Towns goals scored were 71 to 90 minutes. KcM tactical changes and subs brought on have been very significant to getting the wins. Also Sarmiento and Kayden Jackson and Ali have been so important in defending from the front late in games. Player fitness and squad mentality are also key. Sorry none of those are moments as such, but for me are key to our entire season. Hurst injury and Williams troubles both cost us a lot of points which makes Ali and Keiffer signings major moments as well.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 09:59 - May 2 with 1758 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

While I agree the Cardiff result was a kick in nuts, I don't think we'd necessarily have an extra 1 (or 3) points today.

Probably needs input from someone with a psychology degree, but I don't think the results that followed would necessarily have been the same. Leeds may also have reacted differently, positively or negatively, if we'd drawn or won that match.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:02 - May 2 with 1734 viewsunbelievablue

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 09:59 - May 2 by LA_Tractor_Boy

While I agree the Cardiff result was a kick in nuts, I don't think we'd necessarily have an extra 1 (or 3) points today.

Probably needs input from someone with a psychology degree, but I don't think the results that followed would necessarily have been the same. Leeds may also have reacted differently, positively or negatively, if we'd drawn or won that match.

In American Football there is a truism that Quarterbacks need to forget mistakes (like interceptions) quickly, because the next opportunity is usually right round the corner. One of McKenna's many, many, many strengths is the ability to get the team to forget things quickly and bounce back, with the same style and philosophy as before.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:13 - May 2 with 1675 viewssquiz

Saw this from a Wednesday fan earlier which I'd completely forgotten about. They are also still wondering about that chance they had at PR to go 3-0 up.

Lots of sliding doors moments over the past 2 seasons.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:28 - May 2 with 1598 viewsHighgateBlue

Yes the end of the game against Southampton did have a sort of season-defining miracle feel to it.

If we fail? I'm still blaming that injury time against Charlton! Lolz.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:40 - May 2 with 1558 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:13 - May 2 by squiz

Saw this from a Wednesday fan earlier which I'd completely forgotten about. They are also still wondering about that chance they had at PR to go 3-0 up.

Not strictly true about the FGR result though is it ? We would have been in the play-offs with every chance of promotion (which is how they achieved it).
Login to get fewer ads

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:42 - May 2 with 1532 viewssquiz

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:40 - May 2 by Portmanteauxcurling

Not strictly true about the FGR result though is it ? We would have been in the play-offs with every chance of promotion (which is how they achieved it).

yes of course.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:46 - May 2 with 1499 viewsMisterBlue

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:40 - May 2 by Portmanteauxcurling

Not only that, the players wouldn't have gone into the last game having been out celebrating promotion for part of the week. I have no doubt that if we had needed to win that last game we would have, such was the confidence of the team.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 11:00 - May 2 with 1425 viewsFrimleyBlue

Well if it goes T!ts up then not being able to get a result at home v an already relegated side on the last day, would probably be the only reason. All other games just part of the season leading to this point, that cardiff result... might be the reason we managed to win on Tuesday

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 11:12 - May 2 with 1389 viewsMisterBlue

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 11:00 - May 2 by FrimleyBlue

Well if it goes T!ts up then not being able to get a result at home v an already relegated side on the last day, would probably be the only reason. All other games just part of the season leading to this point, that cardiff result... might be the reason we managed to win on Tuesday

Exactly.

Looking back at the Southampton match, while it was fantastic to get the win in the manner in which we did, it could be said that it affected our performances in the following games.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 11:27 - May 2 with 1350 viewsChurchman

I think that’s the wrong way to look at it. A season is 46 games over 9+ months. We will finish third or second and whichever of those it is, that is precisely what we will deserve. It’s never down to one moment, game, event, luck or anything else.

One exception: parachute payment doped clubs. The disparity is out of control. Southampton will finish fourth. The minimum they should have finished with their advantage is third. If I was on the Board I’d consider sacking oily Martin, even if they scramble through the playoffs. They’ve seriously under achieved.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 11:30 - May 2 with 1329 viewsBluespeed225

I stated in the pub last night that the miserable, dirty, maybe fortunate, win at Blackburn will be the 3 points hardest earned to try and achieve this wonderful feat.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 11:49 - May 2 with 1276 viewsnrb1985

I honestly think where we will have "won" it, if indeed we do go up, will have been that 2 week break pre Hull.

We were literally on our knees after that Saints game and it showed with the following three performances. As it was, we got to get Hirst and Wes back in and we couldn't have possibly wished for a better time to play Coventry.

Had it not been the case, would you have fancied us to get a win at a still play off chasing Cov, without those two and a much needed break? I'm not so sure.
The moments that won (or lost) it for us.. on 12:02 - May 2 with 1202 viewsbobbyramsey

The moments that won (or lost) it for us.. on 09:43 - May 2 by Basuco

19% of Towns goals scored were between 81 to 90 minutes, 32% of Towns goals scored were 71 to 90 minutes. KcM tactical changes and subs brought on have been very significant to getting the wins. Also Sarmiento and Kayden Jackson and Ali have been so important in defending from the front late in games. Player fitness and squad mentality are also key. Sorry none of those are moments as such, but for me are key to our entire season. Hurst injury and Williams troubles both cost us a lot of points which makes Ali and Keiffer signings major moments as well.

When calculating the % of goals scored up to the 90th minute you need to also calculate all the extra minutes played at the end of each game, a minimum of 5 minutes usually up to 13 at Sunderland and 11 at Coventry. This would put a completely different spin on your findings I think..
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 12:04 - May 2 with 1185 viewsEuropablue

The games that would have won it for us are the Coventry away win and the Leeds 4-0 loss to QPR and maybe the Sunderland away win because that really set the ball rolling.

The games that would have lost it for us would be the Leeds 4-0 away loss, even with a 1-0 loss we would have had some hope of overtaking Leeds on goal difference. The other result that springs to mind is the Leicester defeat against Leeds. I believe that Leicester were one nil up and were denied a goal that should have stood.
The Cardiff match was a poor performance and a draw would probably been a fairer result (the amazing thing about us is that even when we play poorly by our standards, we pick up points). The Norwich home game comes to mind as a draw that should have been converted into a win.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 12:07 - May 2 with 1165 viewsEuropablue

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 10:13 - May 2 by squiz

That tweet is ignoring the fact that the playoffs exist! We didn't stop Wednesday from going up and not even Peterbrough did!
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 12:08 - May 2 with 1163 viewsEuropablue

Best answer ever!
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 12:10 - May 2 with 1150 viewsEuropablue

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 11:27 - May 2 by Churchman

I think that’s the wrong way to look at it. A season is 46 games over 9+ months. We will finish third or second and whichever of those it is, that is precisely what we will deserve. It’s never down to one moment, game, event, luck or anything else.

One exception: parachute payment doped clubs. The disparity is out of control. Southampton will finish fourth. The minimum they should have finished with their advantage is third. If I was on the Board I’d consider sacking oily Martin, even if they scramble through the playoffs. They’ve seriously under achieved.

The judgment can't be made until the playoffs are over.
Coming 4th and winning the playoffs is materially almost identical to winning the league.
You'd have to sack Martin for his personality, not the ultimate result.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 12:51 - May 2 with 1027 viewssohamblue74

Easter period - The gritty win at Blackburn followed up by the thrilling win over Saints 3 days later obviously springs to mind. I think that is when many of us truly started to believe, helped by Leeds and Leicester also dropping points.

Going back to January, the home win over Sunderland that got us going again, after something like 5 games without a win (and not many goals). We were 1 0 down coming up to half time, then KJ scored a very important and well taken equaliser, and we went on to win pretty comfortably in the second half.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 13:02 - May 2 with 952 viewsBloomBlue

The first game of the season away at Sunderland. The team looked nervous that day, not surprised given the first game against a team who made the playoffs the previous season.
While Sunderland had more of the ball we created the best chances and won.
I think from that moment the players understood they could compete in this league and onwards we went.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 13:04 - May 2 with 933 viewsportmanroadblue

The two Hladky saves versus Middlesbrough.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 13:12 - May 2 with 883 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Perhaps we need to go back as far as the first game of the season. Sunderland away with a talented young squad that made the playoffs in the previous season, looked a REALLY tough opening game. To win that must have erased any niggling doubts in the players minds about being able to compete with the top teams in the division.

The win there also meant we carried over our incredible run and momentum from League One.
The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 13:49 - May 2 with 785 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

The moment that won (or lost) it for us.. on 13:12 - May 2 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Perhaps we need to go back as far as the first game of the season. Sunderland away with a talented young squad that made the playoffs in the previous season, looked a REALLY tough opening game. To win that must have erased any niggling doubts in the players minds about being able to compete with the top teams in the division.

The win there also meant we carried over our incredible run and momentum from League One.

We were all over the place at the start of this match. Took the players a while to settle down.

Could easily have been 2-0 or 3-0 down and we'll never know what that would have done to our confidence. But we took the lead, held on at the end and haven't looked back since.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024