Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've only just realised 12:47 - Apr 29 with 4789 views_clive_baker_

Huddersfield aren't technically relegated yet.

Do we reckon they go all out and try and stick 15 past us? Stranger things have happened*.

*the probably haven't actually, to be fair.
I've only just realised on 14:48 - Apr 29 with 1015 viewsjontysnut

I've only just realised on 13:02 - Apr 29 by Ryorry

Their manager pretty much said on the EFL show last night that he's going to give it a proper go against us. I'm worried tbh.

Of course they need to come and give it a go - how would we feel if Southampton or anyone else turned up at Leeds on Saturday with half a reserve team and strolled through it.
I've only just realised on 14:48 - Apr 29 with 1014 viewsReus30

I've only just realised on 14:13 - Apr 29 by _clive_baker_

Leeds have won 2 of their last 7. Not sure its a dead cert that they turn Southampton over.

Hopefully it matters not what happens at Elland Road though. Do the business tomorrow and its still in our hands.

Have you seen Southampton recently?

On
The
Beach
I've only just realised on 14:50 - Apr 29 with 1002 viewsfarkenhell

I've only just realised on 13:04 - Apr 29 by Churchman

Stranger things have happened? I don’t think they have. The closest I can recall is when Argentina had to beat Peru or somebody by about 7 goals in a World Cup and did.

It later transpired the result was as bent as a nine bob note. The opposition had either been paid off or threatened off.

That was the 1978 World Cup, held in Argentina, and which Argentina went on to win. I think it was against Chile (whose goalkeeper also happened to be Argentinian). The result stank. Previous decade to Maradona and, more recently, Martinez.
I've only just realised on 14:50 - Apr 29 with 996 viewstractorboy1978

I've only just realised on 14:48 - Apr 29 by Reus30

Have you seen Southampton recently?

On
The
Beach

Yet still picked up more points than Leeds over the last 5 games.
I've only just realised on 14:53 - Apr 29 with 978 viewsGlasgowBlue

I've only just realised on 14:50 - Apr 29 by tractorboy1978

Yet still picked up more points than Leeds over the last 5 games.

And the same amount of points as us.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I've only just realised on 14:53 - Apr 29 with 979 viewsfarkenhell

I've only just realised on 14:32 - Apr 29 by SitfcB

Can only see a Leeds win I’m afraid.

Sadly I agree. Let's hope their result doesn't matter.
I've only just realised on 16:07 - Apr 29 with 937 viewsRadlett_blue

I've only just realised on 13:11 - Apr 29 by FrimleyBlue

He hasn't read the room has he.

The last thing he wants to do after relegation huddersfield is to annoy the fans more by promoting Leeds.

Just take the day off.

It's just typical football manager b/s. however, no professional footballer wants to be humiliated in front of a huge crowd so while I doubt Huddersfield will make lie down & make it easy from the start, once we get going & take the lead I doubt they'll bust a gut.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I've only just realised on 16:13 - Apr 29 with 928 viewsBuhrer

They'll run hoops around them.
Login to get fewer ads

I've only just realised on 16:38 - Apr 29 with 898 viewsBossy

I've only just realised on 13:58 - Apr 29 by Ryorry

It's the way he said it - but obvs. I'm hoping you & everyone else saying something similar are right

I think I'm in self-protective defensive anti-mega-disappointment mode ...

True but just because he said they'll give it a go does not mean the players actually care that much about this result. I know they are professionals but surely even professionals find it hard to motivate themselves when there is nothing in it for them.
I've only just realised on 16:46 - Apr 29 with 883 viewsMK1

More likely that we stick 15 past them.
I've only just realised on 16:51 - Apr 29 with 874 viewsBossy

We obviously have to assume Leeds will win, but there is something going on in the Leeds mindset right now that would petrify me if the roles were reversed.

I know they have a young squad but they seem so fragile and reactionary. When they narrowly beat Middlesborough with the help of a huge offside goal, the players were dancing around the place, standing on hoardings and lapping up the praise from the crowd. The very next game they lost 4-0 to a chorus of boos. The two home games before the Boro game they lost to Blackburn and drew to Sunderland.

I think this is the very last game Russell Martin and his squad have to take any good feelings into the playoffs and I think they'll want to do their best to win or draw a game at Elland Road. Whether they can or not is a different matter.

All it takes is for it to be 0-0 going into the 50th minute and the crowd will get very nervy and agitated. If they go into halftime a goal down, I expect to hear some booing. Not the sort of fanbase you want behind you if you're a young team.
[Post edited 29 Apr 16:54]
I've only just realised on 17:18 - Apr 29 with 835 viewsTrumptonBlue

Of course, Huddersfield only need to win 1-0 if Plymouth lose by 15 (and Birmingham lose). And Plymouth play Hull, who need a big win to stand a chance of sneaking into the play-offs...
I've only just realised on 17:53 - Apr 29 with 809 views_clive_baker_

I've only just realised on 17:18 - Apr 29 by TrumptonBlue

Of course, Huddersfield only need to win 1-0 if Plymouth lose by 15 (and Birmingham lose). And Plymouth play Hull, who need a big win to stand a chance of sneaking into the play-offs...

Yeah but Birmingham play Norwich, who as we know, are bum holes.
I've only just realised on 17:58 - Apr 29 with 797 viewsChurchman

I've only just realised on 14:13 - Apr 29 by _clive_baker_

Leeds have won 2 of their last 7. Not sure its a dead cert that they turn Southampton over.

Hopefully it matters not what happens at Elland Road though. Do the business tomorrow and its still in our hands.

It is. Saints will play the ressies. I think that because Russell Martin strikes me as an oily idiot - they’d be better off playing a full strength side and trying to play their way into some sort of form.
I've only just realised on 18:11 - Apr 29 with 777 viewsWeWereZombies

I've only just realised on 16:13 - Apr 29 by Buhrer

They'll run hoops around them.

Intentional use of the word 'Hoops' in relation at a recent Leeds match ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

I've only just realised on 18:30 - Apr 29 with 753 viewsbackwaywhen

I've only just realised on 12:56 - Apr 29 by _clive_baker_

I don't think its ever happened before, but teams tend to take their foot off the gas at 5 or 6, conserve energy, make changes etc. If a team needed to do it, I dare say there might be occasions where it could be interesting. Man City at home to Sheffield United or something and needing a 10 goal swing, I reckon they would give it a real go.

Plus their manager has just publicly thrown the book at them for not trying hard enough against Birmingham, would you put your all in against us after that rant to the cameras ?
I've only just realised on 22:07 - Apr 29 with 653 viewsRyorry

I've only just realised on 14:50 - Apr 29 by farkenhell

That was the 1978 World Cup, held in Argentina, and which Argentina went on to win. I think it was against Chile (whose goalkeeper also happened to be Argentinian). The result stank. Previous decade to Maradona and, more recently, Martinez.

What was that infamous draw in relatively recent times where it suited both sides to amble about aimlessly for 90 minutes?

All of our walking football games for seniors are massively more competitive than that was.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I've only just realised on 22:14 - Apr 29 with 639 viewsCrock

I've only just realised on 13:04 - Apr 29 by Churchman

Stranger things have happened? I don’t think they have. The closest I can recall is when Argentina had to beat Peru or somebody by about 7 goals in a World Cup and did.

It later transpired the result was as bent as a nine bob note. The opposition had either been paid off or threatened off.

Argentina had to beat Peru by 4 goals. They won 6-0.
The second part of your post is just speculation.

Poll: Favourite number?

I've only just realised on 22:24 - Apr 29 with 618 viewsfarkenhell

I've only just realised on 22:07 - Apr 29 by Ryorry

What was that infamous draw in relatively recent times where it suited both sides to amble about aimlessly for 90 minutes?

All of our walking football games for seniors are massively more competitive than that was.

I think that was Germany v Austria? Can't remember which world cup, but both sides were able to progress out of the group stage with a draw. The second half was played out to a chorus of boos. As a consequence of that farce, Fifa decided that the final games in each group should be played at the same time.
I've only just realised on 22:27 - Apr 29 with 605 viewspeterleeblue

I've only just realised on 22:24 - Apr 29 by farkenhell

I think that was Germany v Austria? Can't remember which world cup, but both sides were able to progress out of the group stage with a draw. The second half was played out to a chorus of boos. As a consequence of that farce, Fifa decided that the final games in each group should be played at the same time.

I've only just realised on 22:28 - Apr 29 with 603 viewsRyorry

I've only just realised on 22:24 - Apr 29 by farkenhell

Think that was it, cheers 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I've only just realised on 22:32 - Apr 29 with 578 viewsClapham_Junction

I've only just realised on 12:56 - Apr 29 by _clive_baker_

I don't think its ever happened before, but teams tend to take their foot off the gas at 5 or 6, conserve energy, make changes etc. If a team needed to do it, I dare say there might be occasions where it could be interesting. Man City at home to Sheffield United or something and needing a 10 goal swing, I reckon they would give it a real go.

There have been two such results in the last month in non-league:

Highgate United won their final match 12-0, having needed a 12 goal improvement in their GD to qualify for the play-offs in the Midland League.

In the Highland League Fraserburgh needed a ~10 goal improvement in their GD to win the title in their final match and won 11-0 (but they also needed Buckie and Brechin to lose, and both won).
I've only just realised on 05:24 - Apr 30 with 436 viewsZapers

Hopefully you are wrong;)

Southampton are in the playoffs . Quite possibly Leeds will be also. No one wants to lose the game because mentally it puts the team at a disadvantage in the playoffs, should they face each other at some stage.

Maybe I’m just hoping, but this is the logical assumption.
I've only just realised on 05:43 - Apr 30 with 414 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

I've only just realised on 17:58 - Apr 29 by Churchman

It is. Saints will play the ressies. I think that because Russell Martin strikes me as an oily idiot - they’d be better off playing a full strength side and trying to play their way into some sort of form.

Regardless of the fact we want Soton to get a result, it makes zero sense to rest players.

1st leg of the play-offs isn't until Sunday 12th, meaning anyone who doesn't play against Leeds won't have had a run out for over 2 weeks.

KMc organised a behind closed doors friendly during our recent break to keep the players sharp for Hull.
I've only just realised on 08:40 - Apr 30 with 332 viewsWallingford_Boy

I've only just realised on 14:00 - Apr 29 by tractorboy1978

Hardly. If Leeds don't beat Southampton and we win then we are up.

It’ll be Southampton reserves, no way would they risk it in a meaningless game for them.

So yeah, tonight is a “must not lose” game.

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024