Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Meanwhile in Scotland 19:50 - Apr 21 with 1437 viewsEdmundo

Does anyone know how Celtic and Rangers get consistently kept apart till the Final? Is it not a "balls in the hat" draw up there?

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Meanwhile in Scotland on 20:10 - Apr 21 with 1340 viewsBigalhunter

It’s the old ‘colder balls’ trick, up in Scotland, a classic case of sport imitating life.
[Post edited 21 Apr 20:12]
Meanwhile in Scotland on 20:12 - Apr 21 with 1329 viewsPerublue

It is..but 2 warmed up balls traditionally....allegedly

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Meanwhile in Scotland on 21:02 - Apr 21 with 1213 viewsGlasgowBlue

They played each other in last year's semi final.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rangers+celtic+semi+final+2023&oq=rangers+ce

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Meanwhile in Scotland on 21:50 - Apr 21 with 1135 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Meanwhile in Scotland on 21:02 - Apr 21 by GlasgowBlue

They played each other in last year's semi final.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rangers+celtic+semi+final+2023&oq=rangers+ce

As well as the final?

Isn't that even more suspicious?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Meanwhile in Scotland on 21:58 - Apr 21 with 1107 viewsGlasgowBlue

Meanwhile in Scotland on 21:50 - Apr 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

As well as the final?

Isn't that even more suspicious?

They played each other in the League Cup Final last year and in the Semi Final of the FA Cup. The FA Cup Final was between Celtic and Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Iron Lion Zion

Meanwhile in Scotland on 10:00 - Apr 22 with 800 viewswithyblue

If you assume that they they will both beat any other opposition, it's pretty much a 50% chance that they will meet in the final and not before. So hardly surprising it happens regularly.
Meanwhile in Scotland on 10:28 - Apr 22 with 749 views_clive_baker_

Meanwhile in Scotland on 10:00 - Apr 22 by withyblue

If you assume that they they will both beat any other opposition, it's pretty much a 50% chance that they will meet in the final and not before. So hardly surprising it happens regularly.

It's not a 50% chance when they could get drawn against each other in any round.
Meanwhile in Scotland on 10:33 - Apr 22 with 716 viewsSmithersJones

Meanwhile in Scotland on 10:28 - Apr 22 by _clive_baker_

It's not a 50% chance when they could get drawn against each other in any round.

If they're both in the semi then the chances of them meeting at that point are 1 in 3. So even allowing for the chances of them meeting in earlier rounds I'd be surprised if it's as high as 50% that they meet before the final.
Login to get fewer ads

Meanwhile in Scotland on 11:42 - Apr 22 with 659 viewsGeoffSentence

Meanwhile in Scotland on 10:33 - Apr 22 by SmithersJones

If they're both in the semi then the chances of them meeting at that point are 1 in 3. So even allowing for the chances of them meeting in earlier rounds I'd be surprised if it's as high as 50% that they meet before the final.

In the scottish cup the premisership teams only enter in round 4, that's 3 rounds before the semi-finals.

By my rather dodgy maths, assuming they both win every game, there is just short of a 25% chance that they will meet before the semi final and about 57.5% chance that they will meet in one of rounds before the final.

Or to look at it the other way round, 75% chance they won't meet before the semis, 42.5% chance they won't meet before the finals.

Proper mathematicians will probably tear me apart.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Meanwhile in Scotland on 16:04 - Apr 22 with 510 viewsSmithersJones

Meanwhile in Scotland on 11:42 - Apr 22 by GeoffSentence

In the scottish cup the premisership teams only enter in round 4, that's 3 rounds before the semi-finals.

By my rather dodgy maths, assuming they both win every game, there is just short of a 25% chance that they will meet before the semi final and about 57.5% chance that they will meet in one of rounds before the final.

Or to look at it the other way round, 75% chance they won't meet before the semis, 42.5% chance they won't meet before the finals.

Proper mathematicians will probably tear me apart.

Yes, I’m not a proper mathematician either but having written it all down (rather than guessed it as per my earlier post) I get the same numbers as you.
But surprisingly there hasn’t been a Celtic v Rangers SFA cup final for over 20 years, and in the League Cup there’s only been 4 in the last 20 years, so either they’re meeting in the semi finals quite often or they’re getting knocked out by other teams along the way.
Meanwhile in Scotland on 16:26 - Apr 22 with 476 viewsGeoffSentence

Meanwhile in Scotland on 16:04 - Apr 22 by SmithersJones

Yes, I’m not a proper mathematician either but having written it all down (rather than guessed it as per my earlier post) I get the same numbers as you.
But surprisingly there hasn’t been a Celtic v Rangers SFA cup final for over 20 years, and in the League Cup there’s only been 4 in the last 20 years, so either they’re meeting in the semi finals quite often or they’re getting knocked out by other teams along the way.

Those chances only apply if those two always win against everyone else. Which it turns out they dont. Since 2003/2004 Celtic and Rangers have met in the Scottish Cup 6 times, 3 times in the semi finals, once in the QF, once in the 5th round and once in the 3rd round. Every other time one or the other of them has been knocked out by one of the other teams, Rangers seem to make a habit of getting knocked out by Dundeed United.

That 20 year period is s bit skewed by Rangers being out of the top flight for 4 years as well, so starting in an earlier round of the Scottish Cup.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Meanwhile in Scotland on 19:35 - Apr 22 with 341 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Meanwhile in Scotland on 21:58 - Apr 21 by GlasgowBlue

They played each other in the League Cup Final last year and in the Semi Final of the FA Cup. The FA Cup Final was between Celtic and Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Could have sworn Man City beat Man Utd in the FA Cup Final.

The Scottish cups will have been won by Celtic or Rangers I would expect as there really isn't any realistic competition for them. Statistically you would expect them to meet before the final at least as often as in it. If that isn't happening it suggests it isn't a random draw. There will be some statistical variance in that but I couldn't really care to be honest.

Meanwhile in Scotland on 19:47 - Apr 22 with 305 viewsMK1

It's football, but not how we know it.
Meanwhile in Scotland on 19:48 - Apr 22 with 304 viewsGlasgowBlue

Meanwhile in Scotland on 19:35 - Apr 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Could have sworn Man City beat Man Utd in the FA Cup Final.

The Scottish cups will have been won by Celtic or Rangers I would expect as there really isn't any realistic competition for them. Statistically you would expect them to meet before the final at least as often as in it. If that isn't happening it suggests it isn't a random draw. There will be some statistical variance in that but I couldn't really care to be honest.

Man City v Man Utd you say. Same as this year's cup final.

What was that you were saying about realistic competition?

Iron Lion Zion

Meanwhile in Scotland on 19:52 - Apr 22 with 289 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Meanwhile in Scotland on 19:48 - Apr 22 by GlasgowBlue

Man City v Man Utd you say. Same as this year's cup final.

What was that you were saying about realistic competition?

Yep, definitely been one of those two win it at least 90% of the past 20 seasons. And will be for the next decade or more too.

Unlike you to choose a very small sample size to prove a point!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024