Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? 22:38 - Apr 17 with 3091 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m sorely tempted, but know nothing about them other than VW or Sprinters seem to be the most desirable. Any hints or tips from owners would be welcome. What to look out for, any must haves, etc. I’m only looking at smallish vans as (a) I like simple camping so don’t care about showers and toilets and all the stuff larger campers bring, and (b) it’s going to have to replace our family car and be used daily for the kids’ taxi runs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 07:30 - Apr 19 with 544 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 09:50 - Apr 18 by _clive_baker_

Have you considered a touring caravan? I've never had either but I see these massive motorhomes about and think what do you do to get around when you've reached your destination? Getting around little cornish lanes and what not in some of those things must be impossible.

Not just the massive ones either, but it feels like a right faff to pack everything up every time you want to pop somewhere. I quite like the idea of towing a caravan, getting it set up and still having my own car to get around in for the time I'm there.

We took a decent sized camper van along the NC500 a couple of years ago and it was a great experience. Very easy to negotiate the winding coastal raids and there are plenty of passing places.

The issue I would have with a touring caravan is that you have to find an official campsite and go through the process of unhooking etc, whereas with the camper van we had the freedom to chose an official campsite or do some wild camping at some very beautiful stops.

We also had the added convenience of just being able to pull up at garages, supermarkets, a distillery, pub etc which you can’t do so easily pulling a bloody great caravan behind you.

I’d highly recommend the experience. We enjoyed it so much we’ve discussed buying one when all the kids have left home and just jumping in it in a Friday afternoon and b*ggering off to wherever we want for a weekend break.
[Post edited 19 Apr 14:06]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 13:16 - Apr 19 with 447 viewsElephantintheRoom

My parents had a Bedford Dormabile in the 60s with stylish fins and a lift up roof. It was vastly superior to the VW camper vans kicking around at the time that Commer copied. Every holiday to foreign climes brought an orderly queue of intrigued continentals to view the luxury Formica interior.

Strange how faddists don’t seem to want them nowadays. Though the DIY van conversions seem eminently trendy going through to Spain.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:17 - Apr 19 with 387 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 11:36 - Apr 18 by itfc_bucks

Depends entirely on what you're looking for and what you'll actually use it for (rather than what you think you will).

Got our T5 a year ago and she's done everything from family holidays to Anglesey and the lake district, to one night blasts for me on my own when going away on trail races, I use her to take my lad to play football matches and she's also a regular runaround too.

1.9 diesel, she gets hammered for tax and ulez, and she's a bit thirsty, but the engine should comfortably do 300-400k miles, if well maintained.

https://www.instagram.com/minty_thecamper/

I’m a bit late to this and now the link doesn’t work for me, but from what you’ve said that pretty much describes the variety of things I’d use it for - everything from second car when the other one is already being used by one of us, a base for the days when the kids have swimming competition weekends (place to relax and make a cup of tea), bed for grabbing a couple of hours extra sleep when the kids have 5 am start swim sessions, family holidays short breaks and longer summer hols around Europe and a bolt hole for me when I do a solo weekend in the hills or mountain biking.

I’d be looking for a Euro 6 so we can get the Crit'Air sticker for France. We only go over once a year currently, but this might encourage some shorter trips (maybe). You’re spot on with the comment about realistic usage though - I’m a bit of a dreamer, so can easily be over-estimating what I’d actually use it for.

There’s a place down here that does some lovely looking conversions, but my life they’re expensive, e.g. ://www.welshcoastcampers.co.uk/conversions/2020-ultra-low-milage-t6-1-signature-ultra-camper/ . I’m not sure I want to spend £40-50k on a van. I’d need to be really confident on low depreciation to spend anything near that

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:19 - Apr 19 with 386 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thanks all, interesting to hear your thoughts. We hired a Mazda for a week in Queensland after the Mrs hd a work’s conference in Cairns. It was awesome. It was years ago, but I think that’s what planted the seed. I get the argument with caravans. I briefly thought about it, but it’s not for me (and we’ve got nowhere to store one).

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:26 - Apr 19 with 374 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 07:30 - Apr 19 by GlasgowBlue

We took a decent sized camper van along the NC500 a couple of years ago and it was a great experience. Very easy to negotiate the winding coastal raids and there are plenty of passing places.

The issue I would have with a touring caravan is that you have to find an official campsite and go through the process of unhooking etc, whereas with the camper van we had the freedom to chose an official campsite or do some wild camping at some very beautiful stops.

We also had the added convenience of just being able to pull up at garages, supermarkets, a distillery, pub etc which you can’t do so easily pulling a bloody great caravan behind you.

I’d highly recommend the experience. We enjoyed it so much we’ve discussed buying one when all the kids have left home and just jumping in it in a Friday afternoon and b*ggering off to wherever we want for a weekend break.
[Post edited 19 Apr 14:06]

What’s the NC500 like and when’s the best time to do it? Spring I guess, somewhere around May? That’s always worked best for me on the west coast. Or can you push it later into the summer? My kids still haven’t seen Scotland but every time we’ve had a free window it’s been mid-midge season. And bügger that, frankly!

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:38 - Apr 19 with 350 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:26 - Apr 19 by Swansea_Blue

What’s the NC500 like and when’s the best time to do it? Spring I guess, somewhere around May? That’s always worked best for me on the west coast. Or can you push it later into the summer? My kids still haven’t seen Scotland but every time we’ve had a free window it’s been mid-midge season. And bügger that, frankly!

The NC500 is a great experience. We went in June. Started at Inverness, did overnight stays at Dornoch, John O' Groats, Tongue (no sniggering at the back), Lochinver and Gairloch. Just me, the Mrs and the dog, who was just one year old at the time.

Some of the scenery is absolutely stunning.

Iron Lion Zion

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:40 - Apr 19 with 348 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:38 - Apr 19 by GlasgowBlue

The NC500 is a great experience. We went in June. Started at Inverness, did overnight stays at Dornoch, John O' Groats, Tongue (no sniggering at the back), Lochinver and Gairloch. Just me, the Mrs and the dog, who was just one year old at the time.

Some of the scenery is absolutely stunning.

Wow. Congrats on the Mrs’ first birthday too (or the dog’s, I’m confused ).

Do you reckon you’d get away with late July or is it normal midge heaven by then?

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:48 - Apr 19 with 331 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:40 - Apr 19 by Swansea_Blue

Wow. Congrats on the Mrs’ first birthday too (or the dog’s, I’m confused ).

Do you reckon you’d get away with late July or is it normal midge heaven by then?

I've not been that far north in late July. Furthest north at the time was Nairn and I don't recall any midge issues.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:53 - Apr 19 with 316 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You might like some of these.
https://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?info=10

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 20:12 - Apr 19 with 306 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 19:53 - Apr 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

You might like some of these.
https://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?info=10

Perfect van for someone working for the EADT

Anyone got a VW or similar camper van? on 06:15 - Apr 20 with 240 viewsdickie

We converted a low mileage T4 that we bought for 4k just in time for the world to reopen again in 2020 - was brilliant for a few years but gradually my kids outgrew the sleeping arrangement so we sold on the van for a sizeable chunk of money and bought a 2018 LWB Sprinter. Spent about 4 months converting last year (doing all ourselves except the leisure battery/solar setup which my brother did)

The Sprinter is vastly superior in terms of space and comfort obviously but parking is sometimes fun. I miss the old T4 but it was awful going up hills and even though it's value seemed to be continually increasing it didn't seem worth investing in either a pop top or hard top so we cashed in. The one thing I do miss is the T4 wave from other T4 owners - definitely don't get that sense of kinship and community with a massive white Sprinter!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024