Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This ban on smoking 11:07 - Apr 16 with 2508 viewsbluelagos

Proposal is to ban kids today from being able to ever smoke. So the age to buy ciggies will rise every year thus meaning those aged 15 today (or whatever) will never be legally allowed to smoke.

Existing smokers - all good.

Now I am a libertarian at heart, believe in freedoms of choice, and am not slow to criticise the govt when they mess up - but I can't think of a credible argument against the proposals. Maybe some are worried it's a slippery slope?

Perhaps more likely those publicly opposing the ban are also taking donations from the tobacco industry? (maybe am too cynical)

Anyone got any genuine objections to the proposals to help keep our kids healthy as they become adults?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This ban on smoking on 14:03 - Apr 16 with 518 viewsusm

Sounds pretty sensible to me.
Its only a buying ban, not an outright ban.
Children cant but them at the moment anyway so it'll be no different for them.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

This ban on smoking on 14:22 - Apr 16 with 470 viewsHelp

It is only going to stop them legally buying it. They will still smoke it or vapes or weed. Or the next thing to arrive on the scene. Who and how will it be enforced. Not likely to happen as won't get passed by parliament. Can you imagine how many Tory's are in the industry back pockets. Another Tory story to take the public eye off the important issues that effect us.
This ban on smoking on 14:36 - Apr 16 with 449 viewsRegencyBlue

This ban on smoking on 13:46 - Apr 16 by Sarge

The only downside I can see is an argument that banning them will push them into the black market. Essentially the same reasoning as legalising cannabis to stop gangs controlling it.

There is a massive black market in tobacco and cigarettes already so not sure it will make that much difference to be honest!
This ban on smoking on 14:48 - Apr 16 with 424 viewsmutters

This ban on smoking on 14:22 - Apr 16 by Help

It is only going to stop them legally buying it. They will still smoke it or vapes or weed. Or the next thing to arrive on the scene. Who and how will it be enforced. Not likely to happen as won't get passed by parliament. Can you imagine how many Tory's are in the industry back pockets. Another Tory story to take the public eye off the important issues that effect us.

Probably the same as all parties to be honest, they've all been lobbied pretty hard by the tobacco industry over the years, it's just the ones in power that can do anything

Let's see what labour do when they are in charge, sadly I don't see it being massively different that the current sh!t show we currently have. Am optimistic to be proven wrong here by Starmer doesn't seem to be saying too many different things

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

This ban on smoking on 14:52 - Apr 16 with 421 viewsgiant_stow

This ban on smoking on 11:46 - Apr 16 by GeoffSentence

Stick kids in a car for two hours with a chainsmoking driver.

They'll never want to go near a cigarette again.

Reminds me of coach B on the Norwich to London train in Uni days. I used to laugh at the wimps who'd come in to have a fag and then leave again.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This ban on smoking on 15:20 - Apr 16 with 379 viewscrouchendyachtclub

This ban on smoking on 13:46 - Apr 16 by Sarge

The only downside I can see is an argument that banning them will push them into the black market. Essentially the same reasoning as legalising cannabis to stop gangs controlling it.

It is ironic that there is both majority support for this and legalisation of cannabis, observed within the same poll.

The libertarian in me says allow people to make their own decision on both, although for scent reasons both would be better limited to vapes.
This ban on smoking on 18:52 - Apr 16 with 315 viewsDJR

It's a bit ironic for so-called libertarians in the Tory party to be objecting to the Bill when they have happily clamped down on things like the right to protest and advocated leaving the ECHR which confers freedoms on us all.

As it is, I am a left libertarian, so myself have some misgivings from a personal reedom point of view. But I also think there are practical issues, such as the fact that it does not prevent an older person buying cigarettes for younger person, and the problems down the line when a 44 year old will have to prove they are not 43.

If they were to go down this route, I would have thought that the better course would have been to gradually increase the age to 24 but stop then. This is probably likely to be no less effective than what they are proposing in preventing young people taking up smoking in their formative years, and would be easily enforceable as most under 24 have ID for use in places like pubs.
[Post edited 16 Apr 18:55]
This ban on smoking on 19:02 - Apr 16 with 304 viewsMK1

I'm all for it, just wouldn't want to police it.
Login to get fewer ads

This ban on smoking on 20:21 - Apr 16 with 261 viewsmutters

This ban on smoking on 18:52 - Apr 16 by DJR

It's a bit ironic for so-called libertarians in the Tory party to be objecting to the Bill when they have happily clamped down on things like the right to protest and advocated leaving the ECHR which confers freedoms on us all.

As it is, I am a left libertarian, so myself have some misgivings from a personal reedom point of view. But I also think there are practical issues, such as the fact that it does not prevent an older person buying cigarettes for younger person, and the problems down the line when a 44 year old will have to prove they are not 43.

If they were to go down this route, I would have thought that the better course would have been to gradually increase the age to 24 but stop then. This is probably likely to be no less effective than what they are proposing in preventing young people taking up smoking in their formative years, and would be easily enforceable as most under 24 have ID for use in places like pubs.
[Post edited 16 Apr 18:55]

It's a precursor for an all out ban. Once this is embedded in society mind they will ban it completely at some point.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024