Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The nagging elephant in the room is 08:53 - Apr 14 with 1570 viewsLord_Lucan

bloody goal difference.

There, I've said it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The nagging elephant in the room is on 08:55 - Apr 14 with 1541 viewstextbackup

We score plenty, but left ourselves open at the back, due to how we play. Is what it is innit

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The nagging elephant in the room is on 09:53 - Apr 14 with 1395 viewsArnoldMoorhen

"highly irritating and needs to be banned."

There, I fixed that for you.
The nagging elephant in the room is on 09:59 - Apr 14 with 1373 viewssouthnorfolkblue

If we’d taken more than 2 points this week we wouldn’t need to worry about it.

If we don’t go up, I think we’ll look back on Wednesday and yesterday rather than our goal difference

Poll: Our final position

The nagging elephant in the room is on 10:16 - Apr 14 with 1320 viewsLord_Lucan

The nagging elephant in the room is on 09:59 - Apr 14 by southnorfolkblue

If we’d taken more than 2 points this week we wouldn’t need to worry about it.

If we don’t go up, I think we’ll look back on Wednesday and yesterday rather than our goal difference

I think I'll look back at QPR at home and Cardiff away more than anything but doesn't mean I can't panic about goal difference right now.

I'm a bloody nervous wreck for crying out loud.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The nagging elephant in the room is on 10:22 - Apr 14 with 1290 viewsOldFart71

Don't see goal difference making any difference in the current scenario. We can look at the Borough point in two way. It was a point gained, which it was, or two points lost. Obviously 3 points would have made it fairly certain barring a disaster that we get automatic. But who would predict both Leicester and Leeds dropping three points ? I still think Leicester will go up along with Town and believe 4 points from our remaining games would get us promotion as I believe Leeds will only get between four and five points from their remaining games.
The nagging elephant in the room is on 10:30 - Apr 14 with 1245 viewsTrequartista

Not really. One point is worth more than a thousand goal difference, and the inside of a post against Watford was worth two points. That doesn't mean it won't kill us of course, but its really worth zero effort trying to do anything about it over a season.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:34 - Apr 14 with 1098 viewssouthnorfolkblue

The nagging elephant in the room is on 10:16 - Apr 14 by Lord_Lucan

I think I'll look back at QPR at home and Cardiff away more than anything but doesn't mean I can't panic about goal difference right now.

Yeah that’s fair, but for me the difference with last week we went into both games knowing how pivotal a win would be and we fell short on both occasions. That said Leeds and Leicester fans will say exactly the same thing about their recent results

Poll: Our final position

The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:39 - Apr 14 with 1073 viewsnorfsufblue

The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:34 - Apr 14 by southnorfolkblue

Yeah that’s fair, but for me the difference with last week we went into both games knowing how pivotal a win would be and we fell short on both occasions. That said Leeds and Leicester fans will say exactly the same thing about their recent results

That's fair but let's be honest in the end we were only 1 goal short in both games and it turned out they ended up 2 goals short in theirs
Login to get fewer ads

The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:45 - Apr 14 with 1050 viewsAce_High1

Scoring goals is the concern of the last few weeks.

We have conceded all season but we could accept that as we were often scoring 2+ goals a game.

At the moment, scoring goals looks hard work so that is my worry.

If we can get that sharp attacking play back then we should be ok.
The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:54 - Apr 14 with 1018 viewsArnieM

Yes our GD could well shoot us in the foot, given how close it is at the top. You can’t get away from the fact we have conceeded double the amount of goals at home as our rivals at the top of the division.

I’ve said time and again we defend balls into our box poorly. Most goals against us are scored in the right side of our 18yard area, often with the opponents first real attack against us and when we’ve been on top : dominant. It happened again yesterday. Make up your own minds.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:56 - Apr 14 with 1005 viewsArnieM

The nagging elephant in the room is on 10:30 - Apr 14 by Trequartista

Not really. One point is worth more than a thousand goal difference, and the inside of a post against Watford was worth two points. That doesn't mean it won't kill us of course, but its really worth zero effort trying to do anything about it over a season.

Completely the opposite is true I’m afraid. A better GD is worth an extra point.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The nagging elephant in the room is on 12:06 - Apr 14 with 981 viewspointofblue

The nagging elephant in the room is on 10:16 - Apr 14 by Lord_Lucan

QPR at home was a sick room. Away at Birmingham, when they were under a useless Rooney, and Rotherham bothers me more, alongside Cardiff.

The most gutting thing about this week is we knew Leicester had lost before playing Watford, and knew both them and Leeds had lost before playing Middlesbrough, yet failed to take advantage of it both times.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The nagging elephant in the room is on 12:41 - Apr 14 with 910 viewsBarcaBlue

The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:54 - Apr 14 by ArnieM

Yes our GD could well shoot us in the foot, given how close it is at the top. You can’t get away from the fact we have conceeded double the amount of goals at home as our rivals at the top of the division.

I’ve said time and again we defend balls into our box poorly. Most goals against us are scored in the right side of our 18yard area, often with the opponents first real attack against us and when we’ve been on top : dominant. It happened again yesterday. Make up your own minds.

You can't get away from the fact we have scored far more goals at home than anyone else and have conceded fewer than anyone except Leeds away from home. You fail to accept the trade off with the way we set up.
The nagging elephant in the room is on 13:14 - Apr 14 with 823 viewsTrequartista

The nagging elephant in the room is on 11:56 - Apr 14 by ArnieM

Completely the opposite is true I’m afraid. A better GD is worth an extra point.

That's not the opposite of what i said.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The nagging elephant in the room is on 13:52 - Apr 14 with 750 viewsTheBoyBlue

Leeds away seemed to put paid to us competing on goal difference, although it still irks me only slightly that in games like Hull and Millwall at home that we didn't fill our boots more.

However, it feels churlish to complain about goal difference (although I realise you're not really complaining but rather highlighting something that could be an issue) when we've spent the season beating teams that I never expected us to be beating. Obviously, its likely too late to do anything about it now, seeing as we're unlikely to win any of our remaining games by 10. We just need to concentrate on each game an if we need to win all three I'll be happy with three 1-0s!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

The nagging elephant in the room is on 14:53 - Apr 14 with 627 viewsVic

The nagging elephant in the room is on 12:06 - Apr 14 by pointofblue

QPR at home was a sick room. Away at Birmingham, when they were under a useless Rooney, and Rotherham bothers me more, alongside Cardiff.

The most gutting thing about this week is we knew Leicester had lost before playing Watford, and knew both them and Leeds had lost before playing Middlesbrough, yet failed to take advantage of it both times.

Are you blaming the players for not winning? Don’t you think they gave everything? They are only human. They’ll be utter frustrated that for whatever reason they weren’t able to walk through an open door (x2) this week.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The nagging elephant in the room is on 15:57 - Apr 14 with 560 viewsiamatractorboy

Not linked to anything anyone has said here, but a pet peeve of mine is when people say a superior goal difference is 'worth a point'. No it's not, it's worth half a point.
The nagging elephant in the room is on 16:01 - Apr 14 with 539 viewspointofblue

The nagging elephant in the room is on 14:53 - Apr 14 by Vic

Are you blaming the players for not winning? Don’t you think they gave everything? They are only human. They’ll be utter frustrated that for whatever reason they weren’t able to walk through an open door (x2) this week.

No. It's one of those things. In truth... what the heck are we doing leading the division over the likes of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton with three games left? Even excluding the games in hands.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024