Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My thoughts on Sat 11:43 - Apr 8 with 5375 viewsyoda

Expected more from Ipswich we all remarked that Plymouth gave us far more problems but maybe it was down to us wanting it more on the day.We played ok but should have took some of the chances that came our way.I think the ref just about got things right the only decision that looked iffy was the one in the first half when Sargent was cleaned out.I've read on here that Sargent was constantly throwing himself to the floor but your players were fouling him non stop especially Morsy (he could have been booked about 5 times) Regarding the atmosphere It was very loud everyone seemed up for it and btw how great was it to be a Saturday game albeit an early kick off.As good as it was from a Norwich point of view I can't help thinking Ipswich might have the last laugh with a two legged play off being highly likely and I'm sure nobody wants that!
My thoughts on Sat on 13:52 - Apr 8 with 1196 viewsportmanking

My thoughts on Sat on 13:48 - Apr 8 by Europablue

My thoughts were that player like Morsy and Luongo are professionally dirty players that are constantly borderline fouling and some referees give those and some don't. If you have a referee that is giving those, you have to layoff those fouls. Morsy was holding the Norwich player's shorts for the freekick they scored, so it was a freekick.
Some Norwich players, but mostly Sargent, were falling over at the slightest touch rather than attempting to play the ball, but some of our players such as Hutchinson were doing the same. It is frustrating, because he is capable of actually creating something rather than a freekick.
The really cynical thing that the referee seemed to spot was when Sargent moved his body into the natural line that Morsy was moving along to try and get him sent off. Sargent should have had a yellow for that, but maybe he could have scored if that was what he was looking for.
We don't seem that smart to those things. We have to adapt our approach when you get feedback that it isn't working.
It felt like quite an even match because we played into their hands. Norwich got some luck, they scored a good freekick that we didn't prepare the wall for properly, then they frustrated us. If we'd have scored first the game probably would have gone our way and Norwich would have looked poor.
I think the truth is we often look poor, but we hold on when the other team our outplaying us and we create some magic, but we just ran out of magic against Norwich.

The truth is we often look poor?

That could not be further from the truth...
My thoughts on Sat on 13:53 - Apr 8 with 1202 viewsPilgrimblue

My thoughts on Sat on 13:21 - Apr 8 by Illinoisblue

You raised your game. We lowered ours. On to the next one.

Quite agree. Thought attitude of som eof our players wasnt good enough. Chaplin seemed to be trying too hard and was more intent on stopping their players reather than concentrating on his! That last shot he had just before he was subbed was poor by his standards.
Also thought we failed to get behind their defence in fact they had an easy time which is something we don't usually do. Would have started with El Ham as he looked to cause them problems in the short time he was on. Very few crosses for Moore to put pressure on their CBs.
So I cant see us repeating that again in playoffs when we're destined to play them.
My thoughts on Sat on 13:56 - Apr 8 with 1179 viewsEuropablue

My thoughts on Sat on 13:40 - Apr 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep, one of my overriding thoughts once the dust had settled was how much of a dirty, niggly side Norwich were. Trips, tugs, play acting, trying to get players booked... all the little nasty dark arts.

You might not notice it, but we do a lot of that stuff too, especially in the midfield, the big difference is that we aren't looking to get players booked as our players have more character than to do that.
My thoughts on Sat on 14:18 - Apr 8 with 1131 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

My thoughts on Sat on 13:56 - Apr 8 by Europablue

You might not notice it, but we do a lot of that stuff too, especially in the midfield, the big difference is that we aren't looking to get players booked as our players have more character than to do that.

You seem very sympathetic to Norwich.
We don't do it anywhere near the levels of other teams. We're hard but mostly fair.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

My thoughts on Sat on 14:21 - Apr 8 with 1130 viewsbazza

My thoughts on Sat on 14:18 - Apr 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

We don't do it anywhere near the levels of other teams. We're hard but mostly fair.

Problem is, the match was Saturday, now it’s Monday, we have 5 games to look ahead too, and a budgie has reignited the Norwich game debate. Then disappeared.. this may be something to do with a faulty fan, who knows. Let’s just look forward to Wednesday and 3 points from Watford !!
My thoughts on Sat on 14:26 - Apr 8 with 1113 viewsEuropablue

My thoughts on Sat on 13:52 - Apr 8 by portmanking

The truth is we often look poor?

That could not be further from the truth...

It's meant as a compliment. We manage our poorer phases well. We do fairly often let in quite poor goals, but we make for that with some magic moments or some incisive play. It is very rare for a team to totally dominate an entire match. Just look at some of recent games for examples. Against Southampton, we were outplayed and were punished twice. I wouldn't be happy with the return that Southampton got in their period of dominance.
Even if we look poor in attack, we are usually well organized at the back and limit chances. We were no worse against Norwich than we were against Blackburn for instance.
My thoughts on Sat on 14:28 - Apr 8 with 1105 viewsEuropablue

My thoughts on Sat on 14:18 - Apr 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not at all sympathetic to Norwich. I just believe in fixing things when they are not working, rather than ignoring them. Morsy and Luongo just need to adjust a little bit and put shirts a bit less, especially in dangerous areas and where the referee has noticed what they are doing.
My thoughts on Sat on 14:34 - Apr 8 with 1100 views_clive_baker_

I thought the one the goal was scored from was a foul, looked soft in real time but I watched a replay back and Morsy did pull his shorts. There were 1 or 2 soft ones before that though that built some pressure, and the later one should've been a card for Sargent when he tried to con the ref for another Morsy foul. That was poor form.

On balance I thought the best team won, we were nothing like the levels we've set this season and didn't really create a lot. I have to say Norwich are a good side though, especially since 1 or 2 players have come back from injury. Away to a playoff side isn't an easy task at this level, we saw it when we played West Brom at the Hawthorns as well.

I still think we could get 2nd though and save you from playoff heartache to us. You can lose to Leeds instead.
Login to get fewer ads

My thoughts on Sat on 15:16 - Apr 8 with 1020 viewsIllinoisblue

My thoughts on Sat on 13:53 - Apr 8 by Pilgrimblue

Quite agree. Thought attitude of som eof our players wasnt good enough. Chaplin seemed to be trying too hard and was more intent on stopping their players reather than concentrating on his! That last shot he had just before he was subbed was poor by his standards.
Also thought we failed to get behind their defence in fact they had an easy time which is something we don't usually do. Would have started with El Ham as he looked to cause them problems in the short time he was on. Very few crosses for Moore to put pressure on their CBs.
So I cant see us repeating that again in playoffs when we're destined to play them.

We never imposed ourselves on the game at any point. Passing was horrifically bad, Axel in particular failed to find a blue shirt on numerous occasions. Morsy and Luongo off the pace. front players anonymous. It was bad from start to finish. On a par with Leeds away.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

My thoughts on Sat on 15:41 - Apr 8 with 980 viewshype313

My thoughts on Sat on 15:16 - Apr 8 by Illinoisblue

We never imposed ourselves on the game at any point. Passing was horrifically bad, Axel in particular failed to find a blue shirt on numerous occasions. Morsy and Luongo off the pace. front players anonymous. It was bad from start to finish. On a par with Leeds away.

We were dreadful across the board, just looked so lethargic but can't help 3 games in 8 days, Blackburn was a slog fest, the emotion of the Saints game to then go into a local derby just looked like it was one game too much.

Every team will have a stinker, just unfortunate it was against our fiercest rivals.

Hey ho, if we secure top 2 then it will be long forgotten.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

My thoughts on Sat on 15:56 - Apr 8 with 948 viewsScuzzer

My thoughts on Sat on 14:34 - Apr 8 by _clive_baker_

I thought the one the goal was scored from was a foul, looked soft in real time but I watched a replay back and Morsy did pull his shorts. There were 1 or 2 soft ones before that though that built some pressure, and the later one should've been a card for Sargent when he tried to con the ref for another Morsy foul. That was poor form.

On balance I thought the best team won, we were nothing like the levels we've set this season and didn't really create a lot. I have to say Norwich are a good side though, especially since 1 or 2 players have come back from injury. Away to a playoff side isn't an easy task at this level, we saw it when we played West Brom at the Hawthorns as well.

I still think we could get 2nd though and save you from playoff heartache to us. You can lose to Leeds instead.

Looking at that foul yet again...I don't think the ref gave it for the shorts pull. I don't think he saw it as he was watching where the ball had gone to so wasn't in his field of view. Which makes me think he gave it for the initial challenge, that most people believe was not a foul, he was just waiting to see who gained possession before blowing.

Established 1968

My thoughts on Sat on 16:13 - Apr 8 with 921 viewsSitfcB

My thoughts on Sat on 15:56 - Apr 8 by Scuzzer

Looking at that foul yet again...I don't think the ref gave it for the shorts pull. I don't think he saw it as he was watching where the ball had gone to so wasn't in his field of view. Which makes me think he gave it for the initial challenge, that most people believe was not a foul, he was just waiting to see who gained possession before blowing.

Yeah I thought that after watching it back, he was blowing before the shorts pull.

The set up from us for that FK was a disgrace though.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

My thoughts on Sat on 16:23 - Apr 8 with 917 viewsBseaBlue

My thoughts on Sat on 16:13 - Apr 8 by SitfcB

Yeah I thought that after watching it back, he was blowing before the shorts pull.

The set up from us for that FK was a disgrace though.

Quite right. They had already tried a dig from the same distance before. Keeper got that wrong in my opinion and then should have done better with the shot itself.

Onwards and upwards though! Best way to stick one back at them is to win the next five games and watch them squirm in the play offs!
My thoughts on Sat on 16:26 - Apr 8 with 905 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

My thoughts on Sat on 14:28 - Apr 8 by Europablue

I'm not at all sympathetic to Norwich. I just believe in fixing things when they are not working, rather than ignoring them. Morsy and Luongo just need to adjust a little bit and put shirts a bit less, especially in dangerous areas and where the referee has noticed what they are doing.

I was talking about Norwich's dirty tactics on Saturday, you seem to have wriggled it around to Ipswich being a dirty team.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

My thoughts on Sat on 16:36 - Apr 8 with 893 viewsDouble_Dutch

My thoughts on Sat on 12:42 - Apr 8 by Churchman

We played poorly and Norwich deserved the win. Simple as that. I don’t buy this ‘wanting it more’ angle. It’s not about the desire. The players aren’t daft, know what the prize is and what the derby game is - not least because they experienced the one in December.

I think the loss of Hirst, who is far more mobile than Moore, and Burns who is a much better player than he looks on tv hurt us. Friday and Monday’s games were hard too physically and emotionally and on Saturday we just looked off it. Wagner got his tactics right too.

Should we play Norwich in the play offs, I don’t fancy our chances, but then I think we’ll struggle against West Brom and Southampton too. I hate the play offs. One success in about seven of the wretched things is all I’ve seen. Meagre.

Our best chance is to win the next five games. Subject to injuries and tiredness, I actually think it’s do-able.

I don't necessarily agree, that Wagner won some sort of tactical masterclass and, McKenna failed to adjust how we were set-up to play the game, which has be said across a number of threads now. I thought that we looked like a team, that was coming to the end of a long, physical and mentally gruelling season and, for some of the squad, at a level they have never played at before.

Having watched Norwich on a number of occasions this season, when their games have not coincided with Town games, they played exactly how they normally set-up to play, with one exception. The one exception being, that Sainz was quite obviously instructed to double up in protecting the left full back (McCallum?), from allowing Hutchinson from getting in behind, which, I have to say, he carried out to the letter. This is where we really missed the pace and direct running that Burns would have offered over Hutchinson, who could then have taken the Chaplin role, either from the start, or off the bench, posing a major threat to both of the much slower and less capable centre backs.

I was asked by a family member prior to the game, how I felt Town would fair. My answer was, if Norwich score first, we will more than likely lose, as we will struggle to break down their very narrow and compact four, four two formation. They have played this system for most of the season. They attempt to play out from the back, with either Sara or McLean dropping in alongside the two centre backs, who are not comfortable or trusted in passing out and, both full backs then playing high and on the touch line, making the pitch as big as possible . When pressed, both Sara and McLean drop in together. It was the first game on Saturday, that I have seen Nunes be the player to drop in alongside the centre backs. Barnes then drops into midfield and, they do look frequently for the ball in behind a high defensive line for Sargent to run onto, which we witnessed on Saturday. However much some may wish to dismiss Norwich, they are a good team, with recently Premiership players and parachute money available to them, equally, they are really reliant upon Sargent and will again struggle should he not be available to them for any play-off campaign.

Should we meet them again in the play-offs, I wouldn't be too hasty in downplaying our chances of knocking them out. We take the lead, then the onus will be on Norwich to force the game, leaving room in behind for Town to exploit, when, we will hopefully have Burns, maybe even Hirst available to us. Yes, I know that Norwich came from behind at Portman Road, but they were far more open in that game, having to be more positive and less defensive. We certainly have more than enough to hurt them.
My thoughts on Sat on 16:45 - Apr 8 with 879 viewsRadlett_blue

My thoughts on Sat on 11:47 - Apr 8 by SitfcB

Tuanzebe on Sargent wasn’t even a foul. Ref got that one horribly wrong.

No, ref initially got it right & gave a goal kick. He then changed his mind when the lino flagged.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

My thoughts on Sat on 17:05 - Apr 8 with 854 viewsyoda

My thoughts on Sat on 14:21 - Apr 8 by bazza

Problem is, the match was Saturday, now it’s Monday, we have 5 games to look ahead too, and a budgie has reignited the Norwich game debate. Then disappeared.. this may be something to do with a faulty fan, who knows. Let’s just look forward to Wednesday and 3 points from Watford !!

Ha not all I've been out all afternoon! I've sent Lord Lucan a pm regarding his fan!
My thoughts on Sat on 17:18 - Apr 8 with 843 viewsDouble_Dutch

My thoughts on Sat on 17:05 - Apr 8 by yoda

Ha not all I've been out all afternoon! I've sent Lord Lucan a pm regarding his fan!

Has Lucan revealed your secret, that you are really an ex-tractor fan?
My thoughts on Sat on 17:55 - Apr 8 with 811 viewsyoda

My thoughts on Sat on 16:36 - Apr 8 by Double_Dutch

I don't necessarily agree, that Wagner won some sort of tactical masterclass and, McKenna failed to adjust how we were set-up to play the game, which has be said across a number of threads now. I thought that we looked like a team, that was coming to the end of a long, physical and mentally gruelling season and, for some of the squad, at a level they have never played at before.

Having watched Norwich on a number of occasions this season, when their games have not coincided with Town games, they played exactly how they normally set-up to play, with one exception. The one exception being, that Sainz was quite obviously instructed to double up in protecting the left full back (McCallum?), from allowing Hutchinson from getting in behind, which, I have to say, he carried out to the letter. This is where we really missed the pace and direct running that Burns would have offered over Hutchinson, who could then have taken the Chaplin role, either from the start, or off the bench, posing a major threat to both of the much slower and less capable centre backs.

I was asked by a family member prior to the game, how I felt Town would fair. My answer was, if Norwich score first, we will more than likely lose, as we will struggle to break down their very narrow and compact four, four two formation. They have played this system for most of the season. They attempt to play out from the back, with either Sara or McLean dropping in alongside the two centre backs, who are not comfortable or trusted in passing out and, both full backs then playing high and on the touch line, making the pitch as big as possible . When pressed, both Sara and McLean drop in together. It was the first game on Saturday, that I have seen Nunes be the player to drop in alongside the centre backs. Barnes then drops into midfield and, they do look frequently for the ball in behind a high defensive line for Sargent to run onto, which we witnessed on Saturday. However much some may wish to dismiss Norwich, they are a good team, with recently Premiership players and parachute money available to them, equally, they are really reliant upon Sargent and will again struggle should he not be available to them for any play-off campaign.

Should we meet them again in the play-offs, I wouldn't be too hasty in downplaying our chances of knocking them out. We take the lead, then the onus will be on Norwich to force the game, leaving room in behind for Town to exploit, when, we will hopefully have Burns, maybe even Hirst available to us. Yes, I know that Norwich came from behind at Portman Road, but they were far more open in that game, having to be more positive and less defensive. We certainly have more than enough to hurt them.

That's pretty much spot on.I think if Mckenna was our coach then I'm pretty sure we would be where you are right now. We have improved recently butWagner still has a negative way about him in away games and deserved all the stick he got earlier in the season.We were never as bad as some of our fans thought but there's no doubt we missed Sargent when he was out for 3 months.If we do meet you in the play offs it would be unbearable but would def hinge on who scores the first goal in both games I wouldn't fancy it one bit in fact I think right now I wouldn't be too unhappy if you finished 2nd to avoid all the stress.
My thoughts on Sat on 18:07 - Apr 8 with 786 viewsMK1

We were beaten by the better side on the day. Fair play to you all. You certainly have the hold of us in these derby games for now. If we do meet your lot in the play-offs, I would be extremely nervous and fear the worst for us. We are obviously the better side, the league table doesn't lie, but I hope we go up automatically to avoid the anguish. If you make the play-offs, obviously I hope you no luck at all and fingers crossed, you stay down.
My thoughts on Sat on 18:10 - Apr 8 with 782 viewsRyorry

My thoughts on Sat on 13:48 - Apr 8 by Europablue

My thoughts were that player like Morsy and Luongo are professionally dirty players that are constantly borderline fouling and some referees give those and some don't. If you have a referee that is giving those, you have to layoff those fouls. Morsy was holding the Norwich player's shorts for the freekick they scored, so it was a freekick.
Some Norwich players, but mostly Sargent, were falling over at the slightest touch rather than attempting to play the ball, but some of our players such as Hutchinson were doing the same. It is frustrating, because he is capable of actually creating something rather than a freekick.
The really cynical thing that the referee seemed to spot was when Sargent moved his body into the natural line that Morsy was moving along to try and get him sent off. Sargent should have had a yellow for that, but maybe he could have scored if that was what he was looking for.
We don't seem that smart to those things. We have to adapt our approach when you get feedback that it isn't working.
It felt like quite an even match because we played into their hands. Norwich got some luck, they scored a good freekick that we didn't prepare the wall for properly, then they frustrated us. If we'd have scored first the game probably would have gone our way and Norwich would have looked poor.
I think the truth is we often look poor, but we hold on when the other team our outplaying us and we create some magic, but we just ran out of magic against Norwich.

“My thoughts were that player like Morsy and Luongo are professionally dirty players that are constantly borderline fouling”

My thoughts are that you’re remarkably like the aviator poster with your weird takes and negativity.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

My thoughts on Sat on 18:33 - Apr 8 with 748 viewsArnieM

My thoughts on Sat on 13:40 - Apr 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep, one of my overriding thoughts once the dust had settled was how much of a dirty, niggly side Norwich were. Trips, tugs, play acting, trying to get players booked... all the little nasty dark arts.

It was a League One approach by them all day long. They repeated exactly what they did at PR in the first game. We simply didn’t adapt, and effectively gifted them the initiative. Im hoping this isn’t repeated in any PO games that may lie ahead. But I can’t see McKenna changing his approach, unfortunately.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

My thoughts on Sat on 18:35 - Apr 8 with 749 viewsChurchman

My thoughts on Sat on 15:41 - Apr 8 by hype313

We were dreadful across the board, just looked so lethargic but can't help 3 games in 8 days, Blackburn was a slog fest, the emotion of the Saints game to then go into a local derby just looked like it was one game too much.

Every team will have a stinker, just unfortunate it was against our fiercest rivals.

Hey ho, if we secure top 2 then it will be long forgotten.

I think that was a big factor. I know it was the same number of games for all clubs but the nature of the two away games, a long distance battle and a local derby, and Mondays tear up was full on.

One or two players off form, passing a bit off and tbf Norwich on it and we were always in trouble. But when it comes down to it and we’ve looked at all the reasons, we should have been better that. If we have to face them in the play offs, I’m sure we will be.

It will be interesting to see how the players respond on Wednesday.
My thoughts on Sat on 19:50 - Apr 8 with 687 viewsbackwaywhen

Plymouth we’re allowed to play that day , you never resorted to playing like an away team against Plymouth , there is your answer , scared to attack Town as you would possibly have been picked off and put to the sword ,
Wagner knew that and shut up shop relying on the quick counter attack and fouls to get free kicks, play us at football and we will tear you a good un.
Wagner is a chancer as it proved at Huddersfield but nowhere else .
My thoughts on Sat on 20:22 - Apr 8 with 658 viewsDinnernotTea

You deserved it no doubt. You played like the plucky underdog cheering throw ins and full credit to you. But you must admit a small sense of fear. It was possibly the worst performance of the season yet it was a tight 1-0, and we could've nicked a point once Ali came on. That has to concern you a bit when we meet again in May?

The second leg night game under the lights at Portman Road will be special. If you think Carrow Road was loud on Saturday then you're in for a treat.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024