Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tottenham losing £86m last season 12:43 - Apr 3 with 2355 viewsElderGrizzly

With debts of over £850m.

This golden land of the Premier League can quickly turn sour for what was perceived to be a well run club.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/03/tottenham-talks-investors-says-

Brighton made a profit as the post on here pointed out last night, but lose money without player sales of nearly £750k a week.

Our investors are going to need very deep pockets or a throughput of young players with phenomenal sell-on value.

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 12:46 - Apr 3 with 2294 viewsIllinoisblue

Football finances continue to make zero sense. At least Levy gave himself a pay rise, though. Obviously his compensation is not tied to actually winning anything.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 12:49 - Apr 3 with 2271 viewsElderGrizzly

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 12:46 - Apr 3 by Illinoisblue

Football finances continue to make zero sense. At least Levy gave himself a pay rise, though. Obviously his compensation is not tied to actually winning anything.

Agree. It's the Arsenal model (which they are only now out of) of overspending on a new stadium that will eventually end with reductions in playing staff quality etc.

I said it when they built the stadium, they feel like they are now an event management company with a football club attached.
Tottenham losing £86m last season on 12:52 - Apr 3 with 2216 viewsIllinoisblue

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 12:49 - Apr 3 by ElderGrizzly

Agree. It's the Arsenal model (which they are only now out of) of overspending on a new stadium that will eventually end with reductions in playing staff quality etc.

I said it when they built the stadium, they feel like they are now an event management company with a football club attached.

As a former Tottenham manager once said, “there used to be a football club over there”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 15:48 - Apr 3 with 1922 viewsitfc48

Don't get me wrong I want to get promotion however as a spectacle the Championship is a lot more fun. Seen a lot of fans from the likes of Luton say the journey getting there was great but the Premier League fan experience these days is pretty miserable with the extortionate ticket prices and protection of the 'Sky 6'.

Realistically what has a Palace fan for example got to look forward to? Maybe the old scalp and a reasonable cup run. Never going to be competitive at the top end barring a few wonderkids coming through the academy. Plus the old route of unearthing rough diamonds from the lower leagues or a random European team is even trickier now with the abundance of scouting and analytics tools available.
now.

Anyway I'll stop being negative and keep enjoying the amazing journey we are on as we won't have these owners forever.
Tottenham losing £86m last season on 17:10 - Apr 3 with 1670 viewsMJallday

This is the bit I don’t get

What sort of institution says “hey you’re 800 million in debt, and about to loose 90 million more, we will keep bankrolling you”

Something has to give at some point

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 18:39 - Apr 3 with 1479 viewsWeWereZombies

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 17:10 - Apr 3 by MJallday

What sort of institution says “hey you’re 800 million in debt, and about to loose 90 million more, we will keep bankrolling you”

Perhaps it is the old 'if I owe the bank eight hundred quid and no means to repay it I have a problem, if I owe the bank eight hundred million quid and no means to replay it then the bank has a problem' scenario. Eight hundred quid can find its way into the bad debts reserve and you can find yourself in court with no questions asked by the shareholders, try and write off eight hundred million and directors heads will roll. So the institutions have to keep the turkey feathered and flapping whilst they try to influence the farmer to economise on its diet and find a buyer for the farm.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 19:07 - Apr 3 with 1405 viewsbrazil1982

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 17:10 - Apr 3 by MJallday

Also, "let's employ a couple more people and pay them £100,000 a week"
Tottenham losing £86m last season on 06:09 - Apr 4 with 1095 viewsElephantintheRoom

If you look at the figures Spurs are no longer a football club - which is the way ‘big clubs’ are going.when they realise they can’t buy Champiobs League spots every year. Most of those losses were not ‘football-related’ and there is the small matter of £100 million for Harry Kane to bank next year

If Levy gives himself an extra £3 million bonus for losing £86 million, it will be interesting to see how much he takes for finding £100 million down the back of the sofa.

I don’t think you need to worry about those Ipswich ´investors’ financing a stint in the Prem - they are much more interested in ‘added value’ and borrowing yet more money in the USA

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 07:33 - Apr 4 with 974 viewsbournemouthblue

Brighton much as Southampton did at one point, have made an absolute killing on player sales

It's amazing with even those massive sales, they're actually running at a huge loss outside that though!

£750k a week is insane

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 07:44 - Apr 4 with 946 viewsChrisd

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 15:48 - Apr 3 by itfc48

Don't get me wrong I want to get promotion however as a spectacle the Championship is a lot more fun. Seen a lot of fans from the likes of Luton say the journey getting there was great but the Premier League fan experience these days is pretty miserable with the extortionate ticket prices and protection of the 'Sky 6'.

Realistically what has a Palace fan for example got to look forward to? Maybe the old scalp and a reasonable cup run. Never going to be competitive at the top end barring a few wonderkids coming through the academy. Plus the old route of unearthing rough diamonds from the lower leagues or a random European team is even trickier now with the abundance of scouting and analytics tools available.
now.

Anyway I'll stop being negative and keep enjoying the amazing journey we are on as we won't have these owners forever.

This is exactly my view too. It would be brilliant for the club to get promoted, especially when we were languishing in L1, it looked an impossible dream under the ME ownership. However, the only thing I see with promotion to the EPL is putting the club in a financially unstable position and potentially setting us back years. It’s ridiculous really, you reach the promised land after all those seasons of trying and your reward is stretching the club financially to its maximum if not beyond, simply to just compete. Where’s the benefits?! Just seems there’s plenty of negatives that outweigh the positives. If the bigger EPL clubs are starting to struggle, you’ve got to ask the question, what’s the point?
[Post edited 4 Apr 7:51]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Tottenham losing £86m last season on 08:13 - Apr 4 with 846 viewsibbleobble

Staggering given they make £6m - £7m on gate receipts every game. I think it’s about time football took a stand against the ridiculous player wage bills that crippling the game, commercial enterprise and fuelling a bad, disparate popular culture.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024