Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority 09:01 - Mar 25 with 3614 viewsPinewoodblue

Seems to me that progression from academy to the first team is a current weakness in our set up.

We look for young players with Cat1 pedigree , our own youngster being slower to mature presumably the quality of teams our youngsters play leaves something to be desired.

While we send our youngsters out on loan to lower divisions we look to recruit others of the same age.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 14:37 - Mar 26 with 541 viewsGeoffSentence

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 12:12 - Mar 25 by ArnieM

Just your observation of “ being allowed to pass the assessment “, demonstrates to me how hollow this cat 1 academy system all is. In my view It’s a “closed club” for the PL clubs.. one or two have circumvented it, but not many. But if it prevents us being mugged for our talent by the so clawed bigger clubs, then I’m all for it. But this system sickens me if I’m being honest.

Didn't we go for CAT1 once only to miss out on it by the narrowest of margins?

If I recall it correctly there were suspicions that we were deliberately excluded then due to not being a premier league club.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 15:29 - Mar 26 with 487 viewsPhilTWTD

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 14:16 - Mar 26 by Hipsterectomy

Does the compensation increase if a Cat 1 poaches a Cat 1?

Compensation is usually agreed between the parties rather than being dictated by any formula or similar. But, I would guess that simply being a cat one club might push the value up a touch.
Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 15:31 - Mar 26 with 485 viewsPhilTWTD

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 14:37 - Mar 26 by GeoffSentence

Didn't we go for CAT1 once only to miss out on it by the narrowest of margins?

If I recall it correctly there were suspicions that we were deliberately excluded then due to not being a premier league club.

There was an intention to try and keep the numbers down in the early days, I seem to remember. I think the expectation was that only a few clubs would apply for cat one, as it was pretty much all the Premier League and a fair chunk of the Championship did.
Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 15:40 - Mar 26 with 478 viewsReusersTown

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 11:58 - Mar 25 by FrankfurtBlue

ME stated his aim was that half the 1st team should consist of academy graduates, and we just got nowhere near it.

In recent seasons, who has played regular first team football as an academy graduate? Other than Woolf, Dozzell and Downes, is there anyone else? We used to be good at turning out some star players for the benefit of our 1st team, before selling them on. Even after SBR, the likes of Dalian Atkinson, Dozzell & Kiwomya, Wrighty, Dyer, Wickham. Yes, we get a compensational type fee, if we have young players poached from our academy, but that doesn't really help us progress as a club, does it?

Coaches moving on to better jobs elsewhere benefits them and the others clubs, but how does it benefit us as a club?

You can't use anything ME promised as a yard stick can you really?
Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 17:05 - Mar 26 with 433 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 15:40 - Mar 26 by ReusersTown

You can't use anything ME promised as a yard stick can you really?

I merely wanted to illustrate that even ME recognised that the academy was important to the club, but like most things important to the club, he badly mismanaged it.
Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 20:27 - Mar 26 with 382 viewsHipsterectomy

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 15:29 - Mar 26 by PhilTWTD

Compensation is usually agreed between the parties rather than being dictated by any formula or similar. But, I would guess that simply being a cat one club might push the value up a touch.

That's really interesting and explains why you get some 16 year olds who go for £200,000 compensation and others for £1.5 mill + add ons

I wonder what happens if you play too hard ball in negotiations and want a ridiculous amount of compensation for you 15/16/17 year old

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 22:25 - Mar 26 with 338 viewsPhilTWTD

Pleased to see Cat1 is a priority on 20:27 - Mar 26 by Hipsterectomy

That's really interesting and explains why you get some 16 year olds who go for £200,000 compensation and others for £1.5 mill + add ons

I wonder what happens if you play too hard ball in negotiations and want a ridiculous amount of compensation for you 15/16/17 year old

Ends up in a tribunal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024