Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking for D-Day veterans 11:01 - Mar 18 with 3314 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Random question for the TWTD collective. It's an aspiration of mine to be able to meet a veteran who served in Normandy on D-Day, to have the opportunity to shake their hand, to be able to speak to them about their experiences, and to be able to say 'thank you' for what they did.

I was having a look at attending Normandy in June this year while the 80th anniversary commemorations are running but I don't think it will be feasible.

Are there any posters on here who have any family members in the East Anglia region who served in Normandy on D-Day and for whom it could be possible to arrange a meet up over a drink/lunch?

Extreme long shot but thought I would post all the same in case anyone can help.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 18:39 - Apr 11 with 840 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 18:12 - Apr 11 by NthQldITFC

That's wonderful. I'm really touched that you've done that, even though I don't know you or Mr Gladden. I'm sure other posters feel the same way. There's a big net gain in human happiness from your reaching out to, and spending time visiting Mr Gladden and from mentioning it here. Thanks to both of you, I mean that really deeply.

I'm pleased to have passed on the good vibes. It's so important to find ways to keep stories like Bill's alive. It's a massive shame that it isn't taught more in UK schools. I learnt today that in the Netherlands the entire town will turn out when UK or US veterans arrive, and the children will show off their autographs like they've just met a film star. I suppose people like the Dutch or French might feel like they have even more to be thankful for as they were amongst those who were directly liberated.
[Post edited 11 Apr 18:52]

Looking for D-Day veterans on 19:50 - Apr 11 with 766 viewsPlums

Looking for D-Day veterans on 18:39 - Apr 11 by ThisIsMyUsername

I'm pleased to have passed on the good vibes. It's so important to find ways to keep stories like Bill's alive. It's a massive shame that it isn't taught more in UK schools. I learnt today that in the Netherlands the entire town will turn out when UK or US veterans arrive, and the children will show off their autographs like they've just met a film star. I suppose people like the Dutch or French might feel like they have even more to be thankful for as they were amongst those who were directly liberated.
[Post edited 11 Apr 18:52]

I think it's perhaps even more acute in the Netherlands because liberation prevented a widespread famine.
It's wonderful that you've had this experience. Thanks for sharing with us.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 20:04 - Apr 11 with 728 viewsdocklandsblue

I had the immense privilege of making a radio show commemorating the 70th anniversary.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020h5jp/p020h4p8
I met with dozens of veterans at various locations including care homes, Arromanches anf the Chelsea Pensioners home and recorded with many of them including this poem.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p020h0fc
We ended up being dropped on to the beach 70 years to the minute. It was a truly life changing experience if I’m honest.

I’d also recommend D-Day Minute by Minute by Simon Mayo’s brother (can’t remember his first name)
Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:18 - Apr 11 with 663 viewsChurchman

Looking for D-Day veterans on 19:50 - Apr 11 by Plums

I think it's perhaps even more acute in the Netherlands because liberation prevented a widespread famine.
It's wonderful that you've had this experience. Thanks for sharing with us.

Around 20,000 Dutch people died of starvation in 1944/45.

The Germans were ransacking Europe of food and everything else as the war went against them. They deliberately starved the Dutch in retaliation for their support for the exiled Dutch authorities. The winter was a harsh one, but the famine was cause and exacerbated by the German blockade. Something that’s rarely mentioned, but a reason amongst many as to why the Dutch were hostile to the Germans for a time in the post war era.

The famine was relieved first by the Swedes, then by the RAF, RCAF and USAF. The liberation finally ended the German made famine.
Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:31 - Apr 11 with 652 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:18 - Apr 11 by Churchman

Around 20,000 Dutch people died of starvation in 1944/45.

The Germans were ransacking Europe of food and everything else as the war went against them. They deliberately starved the Dutch in retaliation for their support for the exiled Dutch authorities. The winter was a harsh one, but the famine was cause and exacerbated by the German blockade. Something that’s rarely mentioned, but a reason amongst many as to why the Dutch were hostile to the Germans for a time in the post war era.

The famine was relieved first by the Swedes, then by the RAF, RCAF and USAF. The liberation finally ended the German made famine.

I seem to recall as well the fact that the Netherlands had a higher than usual rate of developmental-related conditions in the generation after the war due to the number of people born to mothers who were experiencing a severe food shortage while pregnant.

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:33 - Apr 11 with 644 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 20:04 - Apr 11 by docklandsblue

I had the immense privilege of making a radio show commemorating the 70th anniversary.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020h5jp/p020h4p8
I met with dozens of veterans at various locations including care homes, Arromanches anf the Chelsea Pensioners home and recorded with many of them including this poem.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p020h0fc
We ended up being dropped on to the beach 70 years to the minute. It was a truly life changing experience if I’m honest.

I’d also recommend D-Day Minute by Minute by Simon Mayo’s brother (can’t remember his first name)

I remember you posted about this before on a D-Day thread. Do you know whether any of the veterans you met are still alive 10 years later?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:47 - Apr 11 with 602 viewsdocklandsblue

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:33 - Apr 11 by ThisIsMyUsername

I remember you posted about this before on a D-Day thread. Do you know whether any of the veterans you met are still alive 10 years later?

I don’t think they are sadly. Quite a few passed away that year. The last that I had the name of died three or four years ago.

When we did the risk assessment for that show we discovered that the % risk of a veteran dying whilst commemorating the anniversary was almost identical to the % risk of dying during D-Day itself.

They were an amazing bunch, sitting in a cafe having a beer with them the night before was a real experience. We all just shut up and listened to them.
Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:51 - Apr 11 with 593 viewsdocklandsblue

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:47 - Apr 11 by docklandsblue

I don’t think they are sadly. Quite a few passed away that year. The last that I had the name of died three or four years ago.

When we did the risk assessment for that show we discovered that the % risk of a veteran dying whilst commemorating the anniversary was almost identical to the % risk of dying during D-Day itself.

They were an amazing bunch, sitting in a cafe having a beer with them the night before was a real experience. We all just shut up and listened to them.

https://www.theshots.co.uk/club-statement-lewis-trinder/
Make that 2 years.
Login to get fewer ads

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:54 - Apr 11 with 584 viewsdocklandsblue

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:51 - Apr 11 by docklandsblue

https://www.theshots.co.uk/club-statement-lewis-trinder/
Make that 2 years.

Here’s Fred and Roy who I visited at the Chelsea pensioners home
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b0gc4
Looking for D-Day veterans on 10:56 - Apr 16 with 363 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Looking for D-Day veterans on 21:47 - Apr 11 by docklandsblue

How sad. And what a bitter irony about the risk of dying while going back to commemorate it. I imagine that the risk is even greater for US/Canadian veterans as the journey itself is longer and more tiring?

Looking for D-Day veterans on 09:13 - Apr 25 with 184 viewsThisIsMyUsername

RIP Bill. So grateful to have had the opportunity so recently.

On this coming 6th June please take a moment to think about what people like Bill did on that day and other days, and what we owe them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-68891810

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024