Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! 16:20 - Mar 15 with 2112 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Keep your head down and say nothing!!
I'm fekkin fuming....

Last day of a 2 week placement on an acute male mental health ward. Yesterday she got an email feed back form which she filled in based on her experience. So.... of nobody speaking to her and the other 2 students for 2 hours on their first morning....of zero guidance about what to do....of the patient with certain freedoms able to pop out for drugs for those without the same freedom.....of nurses spending all day in a common room slating patients, zero interaction with patients apart from when the 'surprise' annual inspection occurred and they suddenly popped out to play games with them and then rapidly returned to normal the moment it was over. I reckon she had more involvement and showed more interest in the patients than they had in months.
Today she was called in by some head honcho that she had never seen before and didn't even know about who said she should have gone to him with her concerns and then sent her home,("perhaps it's best you go home, or do you want to stay" she wanted to stay.)called in the other 2 student nurses and made sure they were at last included as part of the supposed team.
Junior is a mixture of cross and angry.
W@nkers!!

Edit...turns out she didn't get asked about all the poor work practice stuff. It was just an on a scale of 1 to 5 type thing about her learning experience and then explaining why. On day one she was told there's no point in being here for 2 weeks. The man today said he couldn't see that happening, she must be mistaken and this was not going to reflect well on them or her etc...etc...
She has just been for a long run and gym session. I will probably just have a drink or two. She is a chip off the old block though. Kind of proud.

[Post edited 15 Mar 16:51]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 16:47 - Mar 15 with 1983 viewsbluelagos

That's got to be tough for her - seeing things that are a long from how they should be - and being a the bottom of the food chain so to speak making it hard to speak out / challenge others.

All big organisations will have an existing culture both in terms of how they work and how they react to challenge. Tell her to stick to her guns, rather that be sucked down to lower standards than she knows are unacceptable.

Sounds like she's at least seen how poorly some staff can behave - she can be better of course - even if she has to do it despite the system.
[Post edited 15 Mar 17:24]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 16:57 - Mar 15 with 1945 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 16:47 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

That's got to be tough for her - seeing things that are a long from how they should be - and being a the bottom of the food chain so to speak making it hard to speak out / challenge others.

All big organisations will have an existing culture both in terms of how they work and how they react to challenge. Tell her to stick to her guns, rather that be sucked down to lower standards than she knows are unacceptable.

Sounds like she's at least seen how poorly some staff can behave - she can be better of course - even if she has to do it despite the system.
[Post edited 15 Mar 17:24]

She's going to be a natural at this stuff if given an environment to thrive in. After just 3 days a 21 year old lad asked her if she could attend a tribunal with him seeking to extend his 'freedoms.' So her learning experiences turned out to be patient rather than staff led. You couldn't make it up.

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:18 - Mar 15 with 1872 viewsbluelagos

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 16:57 - Mar 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

She's going to be a natural at this stuff if given an environment to thrive in. After just 3 days a 21 year old lad asked her if she could attend a tribunal with him seeking to extend his 'freedoms.' So her learning experiences turned out to be patient rather than staff led. You couldn't make it up.

A lot of things resonated with some observations I had at a local NHS hospital - particularly "disinterested" staff.

Being kind - I guess you get hardened to what you see and maybe for some it's a defense mechanism. But still doesn't sit easy knowing it's people at their most vulnerable who really deserve so much better.

Only briefly met jnr once - but her good nature shone through.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:25 - Mar 15 with 1845 viewsLeoMuff

Did she not have a clinical educator or university lecturer/mentor to discuss it with ? Very poor reaction to the feedback from the ward, exactly the sort of culture where bad practice exists

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:43 - Mar 15 with 1766 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:25 - Mar 15 by LeoMuff

Did she not have a clinical educator or university lecturer/mentor to discuss it with ? Very poor reaction to the feedback from the ward, exactly the sort of culture where bad practice exists

I have encouraged her to share her experience with any lecturer she is comfortable with to help get it out of her system and hopefully improve things for others going forward.
Whether she does so remains to be seen.

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:46 - Mar 15 with 1748 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's certainly a lesson for her. At least her dad won't then blab about it on social media to everyone, though!

Hope she is fine and that it hasn't upset the wrong people for anything in her future. I can certainly empathise.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:49 - Mar 15 with 1731 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:46 - Mar 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's certainly a lesson for her. At least her dad won't then blab about it on social media to everyone, though!

Hope she is fine and that it hasn't upset the wrong people for anything in her future. I can certainly empathise.

You should see the strongly worded email I have fired off!!....

Edit...I hope she has upset the wrong/right people. There is always gardening if grown up world lives down to my expectations.
[Post edited 15 Mar 17:51]

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 18:10 - Mar 15 with 1678 viewsBlueBadger

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:43 - Mar 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

I have encouraged her to share her experience with any lecturer she is comfortable with to help get it out of her system and hopefully improve things for others going forward.

She absolutely should be doing this. If there's genuine concerns concerns for safety and quality of care she could also think about talking to senior trust management and/or the CQC.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 18:30 - Mar 15 with 1642 viewsBlueBadger

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:49 - Mar 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

You should see the strongly worded email I have fired off!!....

Edit...I hope she has upset the wrong/right people. There is always gardening if grown up world lives down to my expectations.
[Post edited 15 Mar 17:51]

We could use someone with her drive in the acute sector. It's not too late to move over. She can even come out on placement with me.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 18:54 - Mar 15 with 1573 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 18:30 - Mar 15 by BlueBadger

We could use someone with her drive in the acute sector. It's not too late to move over. She can even come out on placement with me.

It's a bit of a commute from Leeds but I'll let her know.

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 19:09 - Mar 15 with 1533 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 18:10 - Mar 15 by BlueBadger

She absolutely should be doing this. If there's genuine concerns concerns for safety and quality of care she could also think about talking to senior trust management and/or the CQC.

With regards to the care thing, she wasn't given a personal alarm or master key when she started a shift at midday because they had all been given out at 7 in the morning. She was told not to worry.
She ended up sat in a room with some bloke with paranoia reassuring him that the nurses in the common room weren't talking about him. The chat moved on to trust when she pointed out she must trust him as she was sat in his room without an alarm!!

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 19:57 - Mar 15 with 1373 viewsSwansea_Blue

Huge respect for anyone embarking on that career path right now with the challenges in the sector as a whole and especially around mental health . Literal angels.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 20:27 - Mar 15 with 1291 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 19:57 - Mar 15 by Swansea_Blue

Huge respect for anyone embarking on that career path right now with the challenges in the sector as a whole and especially around mental health . Literal angels.

Just like her Dad!

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 21:14 - Mar 15 with 1220 viewsPlums

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 17:43 - Mar 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

That's good advice. The academic and those who arrange the placements are unlikely to be the same people. As this thread highlights some safeguarding as well as other concerns, the professional services team in the university who do this work need to know.

All power to her for dealing with it and calling it out.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 22:44 - Mar 15 with 1115 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 21:14 - Mar 15 by Plums

That's good advice. The academic and those who arrange the placements are unlikely to be the same people. As this thread highlights some safeguarding as well as other concerns, the professional services team in the university who do this work need to know.

All power to her for dealing with it and calling it out.

I couldn’t agree more that they need to know. Talking to her more this evening it sounds like the midwifery and general nursing placements have been much better than for those in the mental health field.

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 08:49 - Mar 16 with 800 viewsnodge_blue

That is such a sad and damning story.

It’s like the NHS keeps failing at so many levels and it’s not all about funding, it’s partly about people just doing their jobs.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 11:32 - Mar 16 with 687 viewsWeWereZombies

Junior just got her first lesson from the NHS!! on 18:54 - Mar 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's a bit of a commute from Leeds but I'll let her know.

I had assumed, having read this far, that she was working in Suffolk and was going to post this, I'll post all the same because it is probably relevant to other Mental Health trusts:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68492793

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024