Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... 02:32 - Mar 15 with 972 viewsIPS_wich

I finally managed to catch Season 3 of Sunderland Til I Die over the last couple of weeks - but given it had been 3-4 years since Season 2 I went back and watched Seasons 1 and 2 again.

It's really uncanny how if you watched Season 1 and 2 of Sunderland Til I Die and then went into Season 2 of Welcome to Wrexham - it would almost perfectly mirror the experience of following Ipswich over the 2018-2023 period.

From the despair of falling out of the Championship with an ageing team and an owner who didn't give two sh1ts (STID S1), to thinking jumping back would be easy only to discover the purgatory of getting stuck in League 1 (STID S2), then moving into the euphoria of new American owners, smashing the league with record goals scored, but still not securing promotion until the penultimate weekend (WTW S2). Plus add in the association with a global celebrity - it's uncanny.

And it's quite probable that Season 3 of Welcome to Wrexham will mirror our season this year with them having bounced around the top four of League 2 all year and still now in with a shout of back to back promotions.

The only thing that our journey is missing in comparison is the sheer incompetence of the new Sunderland owners in Season 2 of STID - although some of the Lambert reign had similarities (great initial fan engagement/PR followed up by sh1te on the pitch).

So many times I've watched both series and thought - yup, been there, experienced the same.
Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... on 09:18 - Mar 15 with 635 viewsJimmyJazz

As much as there are similarities i'm not sure I like the comparison to Wrexham, hoping they don't go up this year.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... on 14:27 - Mar 15 with 417 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... on 09:18 - Mar 15 by JimmyJazz

As much as there are similarities i'm not sure I like the comparison to Wrexham, hoping they don't go up this year.

Why? Really don't understand the hate towards them.
Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... on 14:54 - Mar 15 with 379 viewsJimmyJazz

Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... on 14:27 - Mar 15 by FromReuserWithLove

Why? Really don't understand the hate towards them.

The money they have spent, players moving there last season for bigger pay days than league 2 and some of league 1 could offer
Then there is the publicity around them

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... on 15:01 - Mar 15 with 370 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Uncanny resemblance to Wrexham/Sunderland series... on 14:54 - Mar 15 by JimmyJazz

The money they have spent, players moving there last season for bigger pay days than league 2 and some of league 1 could offer
Then there is the publicity around them

but what's wrong with any of that? We were offering more money to players than anyone else in League One. If you can, why wouldn't you? And the publicity is what any club would dream of - the owners have the profile to leverage income from publicity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024