Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Victor Meldrew maybe 20:16 - Mar 14 with 2368 viewsOldFart71

Is it just because I'm getting on a bit and struggle to do the things I used to do or does everyone feel like me in that I have just had the first of many increases of monthly outgoings landing on my mat. Council tax up £7 a month, Sky another £4.50, tv licence up. That's without water rates, house insurance, road tax and my car insurance went up over £110. I know everything usually goes up in April, but this year, on top of the massive increases we have seen on food, gas and electricity over the last few years and for those with hefty mortgages it's just one thing after the other and with the general state of this Country what with potholed roads everywhere, NHS waiting times it does seem like Britain is no place for old men, or come to that anyone else.
Victor Meldrew maybe on 14:21 - Mar 15 with 346 viewsZx1988

Victor Meldrew maybe on 12:40 - Mar 15 by Help

Try 80s rates of 13% and more. Then tell me how hard a 5% rate rise is.

What percentage of your disposable income were you spending on your mortgage, though?

I've seen plenty of analysis from trusted sources explaining that a rate of 5% today is akin to the 15% of the 1980s given the significant differences in disposable income between the generations.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Victor Meldrew maybe on 15:55 - Mar 15 with 296 viewsIllinoisblue

Victor Meldrew maybe on 11:38 - Mar 15 by _clive_baker_

It really was, by historic standards (as I'm often reminded by a certain generation). I'm quick to remind them that property price relative to earnings is also significantly higher now though.

I've generally taken quite a prudent approach to my longer term financial commitments, and worked on the assumption that rates wouldn't stay that low forever. The speed at which they've gone up has been a bit nuts though, I would've hoped the absolute cash amount of my debt might've come down a bit more before such time in order to offset the monthly rise a bit, but alas my fixed term ended at a horrible time when my debt is as high as its ever been, savings as low, 2 kids in childcare, and interest rates as high as they've been in my adult life.

The “2 kids in childcare” is a massive hit. When mine were both pre school age it was like making a (very nice) car payment every single week. Ours was $2k a month at its worst. Man, felt so good when the eldest went to real school!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Victor Meldrew maybe on 16:47 - Mar 15 with 276 views_clive_baker_

Victor Meldrew maybe on 15:55 - Mar 15 by Illinoisblue

The “2 kids in childcare” is a massive hit. When mine were both pre school age it was like making a (very nice) car payment every single week. Ours was $2k a month at its worst. Man, felt so good when the eldest went to real school!

It's nuts innit. My wife is a nurse for the NHS and for a while there was a strong argument for her not working at all given the cost of childcare. Especially when you factor in petrol and parking etc to get to said job. She likes her work though, finds it rewarding, and we felt it important that she had something to focus on aside from children.

Childcare fees wont last forever too so it does feel like some short term pain. Bring on 2028 when they're both in school, the beers will be on me!
Victor Meldrew maybe on 08:28 - Mar 16 with 205 viewsElephantintheRoom

Victor Meldrew maybe on 12:40 - Mar 15 by Help

Try 80s rates of 13% and more. Then tell me how hard a 5% rate rise is.

Exactly what I was pointing out. The yoof of today don’t know how lucky they are.

Mind you there ARE advantages eventually to not owning a house. Your kids won’t have to sell it whilst watching you decline catastrophically in a rip-off ´Care ´ Home.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Victor Meldrew maybe on 09:23 - Mar 16 with 172 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Victor Meldrew maybe on 08:28 - Mar 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Exactly what I was pointing out. The yoof of today don’t know how lucky they are.

Mind you there ARE advantages eventually to not owning a house. Your kids won’t have to sell it whilst watching you decline catastrophically in a rip-off ´Care ´ Home.

In 1980 the average house price was 3 times salary, in 2024 its 8 times (more like 12 times in the South). Salaries have risen under 400pc since 1980, whereas house prices have risen over 1200pc.

I wake up every day thinking how lucky I am…
Victor Meldrew maybe on 09:34 - Mar 16 with 162 viewsKropotkin123

Glad I left. Glad I'm not raising my child in the UK. Sad though. I've lived in three countries and the UK was comfortably the worst for cost of living and consequently happiness. Relatively speaking, everything was an unnecessary struggle.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024