Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swimming pool Portman Road 08:12 - Mar 12 with 7443 viewsPinewoodblue

Today’s Ipswich Star carries a story suggesting it is going ahead. Being discussed in Council next week. Also considering turning current council offices into flats.

Does this impact on ITFC plans for Cobbold Stand?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Swimming pool Portman Road on 18:38 - Mar 12 with 855 viewsAlexMathie

Swimming pool Portman Road on 16:47 - Mar 12 by The_Major

I've said this several times, but I do suspect Portman Road itself will be pedestrianised anyway between the Sir Alf statue and the access to Churchmans Lofts. Even before they stuck the planters at the Princes Street end, not that many people used it.

Before Barrack Corner was blocked off, you'd have used it to get from Norwich Road to the station and Chantry, but obviously these days you'd use Chevallier Street/Yarmouth Road/West End Road or Civic Drive.

Unless there's a huge demand from people wanting to visit Benezet Street or something.

The multi-storey car park is on the corner of Portman Walk/Portman Road (number 2 on the diagram). It’d be a shame if they did pedestrianise Portman Road, stopping access from Princes Street and forcing traffic round to Handford Road. They could still close Portman Roadon match days.

www.turfgame.com

Swimming pool Portman Road on 11:44 - Mar 13 with 624 viewsdirtyboy

Swimming pool with half the amount of spectator seating (per pics) as Crown Pools.

Another nail in the coffin for swimming clubs who want to raise money.

Happened at Lowestoft, pool developed, no seating for spectators (well, around a dozen) so can't hold events that were vital for raising money (and engaging parents/grandparents/social interaction)

Obviously looked pretty on an architects computer though, so that's cool.
Swimming pool Portman Road on 13:32 - Mar 14 with 424 viewsLeaky

Swimming pool Portman Road on 16:37 - Mar 12 by SheffordBlue

With your example is that due to funding being withdrawn/reduced or due to projects over-running on costs. The latter seems to be a British problem for any large scale project regardless of whether it is government funded or not. We just seem to be totally unable to deliver large projects on budget.

We managed to build the A14 Huntingdon to Cambridge road on budget, & get it done ahead of schedule, so it is possible.
Swimming pool Portman Road on 21:59 - Mar 14 with 307 viewsbournemouthblue

Swimming pool Portman Road on 12:59 - Mar 12 by hype313

Where are all those people going to park? you know, the one's that are quite happy to mow down the pedestrians to gain an extra few yards after a game.

The new multistory on this site presumably?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Swimming pool Portman Road on 22:01 - Mar 14 with 303 viewsbournemouthblue

Swimming pool Portman Road on 11:44 - Mar 13 by dirtyboy

Swimming pool with half the amount of spectator seating (per pics) as Crown Pools.

Another nail in the coffin for swimming clubs who want to raise money.

Happened at Lowestoft, pool developed, no seating for spectators (well, around a dozen) so can't hold events that were vital for raising money (and engaging parents/grandparents/social interaction)

Obviously looked pretty on an architects computer though, so that's cool.

I didn't realise the seating at Crown Pools was so plentiful?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Swimming pool Portman Road on 22:04 - Mar 14 with 298 viewsnodge_blue

Swimming pool Portman Road on 08:17 - Mar 12 by itfcjoe

I don't think so, ideally the club would have liked that area for themselves but wasn't ever going to happen - council wanted to get this done before any further works planned there (i.e. the Cobbold Stand) so the club have been effectively told to wait their turn so hopefully this going ahead can speed things up

The club should be more important to the town and the council than a frickin swimming pool

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024