Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hladky 20:36 - Mar 9 with 2610 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I wish he'd stop punching/slapping the ball away. It's something he's really increased of late, and I honestly think as a result he's not commanding his area as well as he was at the beginning of the season.

He wasn't at fault for either goal, just something I've observed.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hladky on 20:38 - Mar 9 with 2253 viewsLeoMuff

He really should should be catching some of those punches imho, one in the first half in particular looked a very routine catch, punched back out Cardiff who created a decent chance.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Hladky on 20:40 - Mar 9 with 2237 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Something I have always thought about him. Sometimes seems more obvious than others. Generally he is effective despite it, but it never looks commanding. The one he spilt but then caught is a typical example - looks poor but didn't actually cost us anything.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Hladky on 08:10 - Mar 10 with 1992 viewsHelp

European keeper, European style. you want catches you want UK keepers
Hladky on 08:41 - Mar 10 with 1943 viewsitfcbam

Being honest, the guy has been in superb form this season, however that form and consistancy has dipped in the last 2-3 months. Mistakes have crept in since the Watford away goal. Personally I would have been happy to see Walton come back towards end of Jan as think overall he is the better of the 2. We can't make change now as Walton would need a couple of games and its too risky now. Walton commands and organises the defense too, something we missed badly when Burgess was away. KM knows better than any of us though so go with his judgement.
Hladky on 08:50 - Mar 10 with 1919 viewsAviator

There may come a moment where automatics are not achievable and we have a few dead rubbers to prepare for the play-offs. This would be the time to bring in Walton. Such a period could really be used to our advantage.
Hladky on 08:53 - Mar 10 with 1903 viewsTractorWood

Hladky on 08:41 - Mar 10 by itfcbam

Being honest, the guy has been in superb form this season, however that form and consistancy has dipped in the last 2-3 months. Mistakes have crept in since the Watford away goal. Personally I would have been happy to see Walton come back towards end of Jan as think overall he is the better of the 2. We can't make change now as Walton would need a couple of games and its too risky now. Walton commands and organises the defense too, something we missed badly when Burgess was away. KM knows better than any of us though so go with his judgement.

I think we will look back and say we had a tremendous season but were a goalkeeper and defender or two short.

I went a long yesterday and our right side was just carved open every 10 minutes in the first half and our defence never look at all settled. Hladky has had a great season but the last 6 weeks or so he's really struggled to command his box in any situation at all. He's great with this feet but he just can't claim it aerially. Ever.

These were passive themes during the game but under direct pressure in the last 10. We just collapsed. We also tend to gloss over our glaring defensive fragility because we've been so incredible going forwards. We've conceded more goals than Millwall this season. Let that sink in.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hladky on 10:29 - Mar 10 with 1809 viewsgainsboroughblue

Hladky on 20:38 - Mar 9 by LeoMuff

He really should should be catching some of those punches imho, one in the first half in particular looked a very routine catch, punched back out Cardiff who created a decent chance.

That was during a piece of prolonged pressure as well where we just needed to get hold of the ball and catch a break and regroup but the ball just went back to them and they went again. I know he likes to punch but he could've caught that comfortably.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Hladky on 11:26 - Mar 10 with 1728 viewsbobbyramsey

We're third in the league and fighting for an automatic promotion place so it works.

What's the problem?

Or something like that.....
Login to get fewer ads

Hladky on 11:33 - Mar 10 with 1708 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hladky on 11:26 - Mar 10 by bobbyramsey

We're third in the league and fighting for an automatic promotion place so it works.

What's the problem?

Honesty?

I was a goalkeeper in my youth and was very kindly trained over a summer by Jim Barron, who was Cheltenham Town manager in the late 80's/early 90's. As a result of that, it triggers the fk out of me, always has done, especially when his punch only goes 25 yards.

To quote Jim Barron, and this is verbatim, "If your punch isn't heading to the halfway line, you're inviting pressure back on yourself and you can't be properly set if you've only just landed"
[Post edited 10 Mar 11:43]

Hladky on 11:37 - Mar 10 with 1684 viewschicoazul

The point behind the punching slapping etc is to keep the ball in play as we back our ability to win it and potentially counter attack.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Hladky on 11:44 - Mar 10 with 1666 viewsHelp

Hladky on 11:37 - Mar 10 by chicoazul

The point behind the punching slapping etc is to keep the ball in play as we back our ability to win it and potentially counter attack.

A catch and a quick throw out to a forward racing player works better.
Hladky on 11:47 - Mar 10 with 1651 viewsgainsboroughblue

Hladky on 11:44 - Mar 10 by Help

A catch and a quick throw out to a forward racing player works better.

There is also a time and a place. A punch doesn't always work if you are already under pressure from a two minute spell of continual pressure, players not in the right position, facing the wrong way, punch not going in the intended direction etc. I appreciate how we play but we do need to be flexible and smart too.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Hladky on 13:33 - Mar 10 with 1561 viewsArnieM

“ Haldaky flapping at the ball more becysse he doesn’t command his area”. Possibly, but then the centre banks in front of him don’t exactly command that area when the ball comes in, do they ( a point I’ve continued to make simply because it keeps happening). Take a look at Cardiff’s second goal. Burgess is outnumbered and misses the header. The balls comes further over into the box and BOTH Clarke and Woolfie are rooted to the spot marking absolute fresh air, again. Ball watching is a common error amongst our, in my view. That’s basic defending whether people on here like me highlighting that or not, is happening too frequently.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Hladky on 13:38 - Mar 10 with 1538 viewsDublinBlue84

What's the problem?

What people are really saying here, is that if a goalkeeper isn't sure of being able to catch a ball, he should try and catch it and risk dropping it. rather than take the safer option of punching it.

The same people who are moaning goalkeepers punch too much, would be the very same ones who moan the most if a keeper comes for a ball and attempts to catch it and drops it.

At the end of the day it's better to punch a ball then drop one.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Hladky on 13:40 - Mar 10 with 1526 viewsFromReuserWithLove

The main area where Walton excelled over Vas. Giant leap, claim and slow fall to the floor was such a reassuring easing of pressure.
Hladky on 13:43 - Mar 10 with 1514 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hladky on 13:38 - Mar 10 by DublinBlue84

What people are really saying here, is that if a goalkeeper isn't sure of being able to catch a ball, he should try and catch it and risk dropping it. rather than take the safer option of punching it.

The same people who are moaning goalkeepers punch too much, would be the very same ones who moan the most if a keeper comes for a ball and attempts to catch it and drops it.

At the end of the day it's better to punch a ball then drop one.

I think most people, me included are specifically talking about balls that are claimable for most professional keepers.

If you are honestly suggesting that Hladky would drop all the balls he punches if he tried to claim them, then thats far more critical of Hladky than anyone here has posted.

Hladky on 13:49 - Mar 10 with 1490 viewsbadadski

What's the problem?

Hladky has been very good but as a whole has been helped by the team playing so well and almost over achieving. I am not saying he’s at fault as had pulled off some great saves but I never felt as threatened or nervous when Walton was in goal. He has far more pressence when it comes to high balls and corners due to his height meaning when he was in goal opposition corners used to be played not so close to the goal, same for crosses as he was so commanding.
Hladky punching or trying to has cost us goals against already and lead to dangerous situations like yesterday punching back to Cardiff for what looked a straightforward catch.

I haven’t done the maths but we are either unlucky or teams are just so clinical against us and not other teams as it seems we have so few shots on target against but a massive percentage of them go in. Quite a few I can think of where I have thought and pro keepers have thought he should have done a lot better .

Ofcourse we are top 3 for a reason and hladky has been part of the reason we are but I still don’t feel confident with him in goal. Our goals against seems to reflect ths also - - I know we are playing better opposition so hard to really compare this season to last season but will be interesting to see what happens with his contract as don’t think he is good enough for a premier league keeper where as Walton has been a premier keeper in the past -

Not blaming yesterday on hladky but i always have the feeling we will concede more than when walton was in goal
Hladky on 14:01 - Mar 10 with 1456 viewsTractorWood

Hladky on 13:49 - Mar 10 by badadski

Hladky has been very good but as a whole has been helped by the team playing so well and almost over achieving. I am not saying he’s at fault as had pulled off some great saves but I never felt as threatened or nervous when Walton was in goal. He has far more pressence when it comes to high balls and corners due to his height meaning when he was in goal opposition corners used to be played not so close to the goal, same for crosses as he was so commanding.
Hladky punching or trying to has cost us goals against already and lead to dangerous situations like yesterday punching back to Cardiff for what looked a straightforward catch.

I haven’t done the maths but we are either unlucky or teams are just so clinical against us and not other teams as it seems we have so few shots on target against but a massive percentage of them go in. Quite a few I can think of where I have thought and pro keepers have thought he should have done a lot better .

Ofcourse we are top 3 for a reason and hladky has been part of the reason we are but I still don’t feel confident with him in goal. Our goals against seems to reflect ths also - - I know we are playing better opposition so hard to really compare this season to last season but will be interesting to see what happens with his contract as don’t think he is good enough for a premier league keeper where as Walton has been a premier keeper in the past -

Not blaming yesterday on hladky but i always have the feeling we will concede more than when walton was in goal

Walton isn't a material improvement.

We have the best coach in Europe (who would ever realistically manage us). Some of the flaws being highlighted in this thread are just the nature of what's being asked of players who are fundamentally limited.

We are in a great spot. We might not go up but no one in football can bemoan the effort and guile to get us where we are.
[Post edited 10 Mar 14:05]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hladky on 02:58 - Mar 11 with 1169 viewsHalifaxBlue

FWIW I coach goalkeepers on a daily basis as (part of) a living - I largely agree with you. He is very rough to watch when it comes to shot stopping/aerial technique. At the beginning of the year, I put it aside as it worked consistently. But it doesn't now, and I think we're reaching a point where another error or two may see a change.

I'm in a weird spot where I STRONGLY believe Walton is the better keeper, but from a managerial point of view, I wouldn't make a change right now.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Hladky on 02:59 - Mar 11 with 1167 viewsHalifaxBlue

Hladky on 14:01 - Mar 10 by TractorWood

Walton isn't a material improvement.

We have the best coach in Europe (who would ever realistically manage us). Some of the flaws being highlighted in this thread are just the nature of what's being asked of players who are fundamentally limited.

We are in a great spot. We might not go up but no one in football can bemoan the effort and guile to get us where we are.
[Post edited 10 Mar 14:05]

When it comes to out of possession, Walton is absolutely a material improvement. It just depends which you value more.

Hladky on 03:02 - Mar 11 with 1162 viewsHalifaxBlue

Hladky on 11:37 - Mar 10 by chicoazul

This is nonsense. It is much, much easier to accurately start a counter attack from a held ball than a punch, and only marginally slower if the release is quick. No one is punching the ball as a means of distribution. The ball is still in play if the keeper is holding it, and they have much, much greater control over starting the counter.

Hladky on 06:57 - Mar 11 with 1095 viewsVaughan8

Hladky on 13:49 - Mar 10 by badadski

Firstly I didn't mean to downvote you!

I think you have to allow for the fact we are playing in a higher league now. Walton was very good last season and definitely is better at crosses etc.

However, we were rarely under pressure last season, especially towards the end.

Also I'm sure last season we had a period where every shot on target was going in.
Hladky on 07:33 - Mar 11 with 1059 viewsDJR

Hladky wasn't to blame for our losing on Saturday, and made a couple of excellent saves.

OK, he has made perhaps one error which led to a goal a couple of weeks ago, and occasionally given the ball away when playing it out from the back, but I don't recall that (or his punching) leading to any goals.
Hladky on 07:49 - Mar 11 with 1016 viewsbadadski

Hladky on 07:33 - Mar 11 by DJR

Hladky wasn't to blame for our losing on Saturday, and made a couple of excellent saves.

OK, he has made perhaps one error which led to a goal a couple of weeks ago, and occasionally given the ball away when playing it out from the back, but I don't recall that (or his punching) leading to any goals.

The game where he went to punch the ball and hit thin air was one. Can’t say that if he tried to catch he would have faired any better but deffo has had issues. I’m not saying he needs to be replaced as it’s too late now to swap keepers it’s just I don’t feel as safe with him in goal. He has had amazing games the same for lots of players in our team however I remember kelvin davies saying anything more than 7 errors a season and he considers that bad form. High standards to set but it’s possibly what we need.
Hladky on 07:56 - Mar 11 with 995 viewswoodbridge_blue

Hladky on 08:53 - Mar 10 by TractorWood

I think we will look back and say we had a tremendous season but were a goalkeeper and defender or two short.

I went a long yesterday and our right side was just carved open every 10 minutes in the first half and our defence never look at all settled. Hladky has had a great season but the last 6 weeks or so he's really struggled to command his box in any situation at all. He's great with this feet but he just can't claim it aerially. Ever.

These were passive themes during the game but under direct pressure in the last 10. We just collapsed. We also tend to gloss over our glaring defensive fragility because we've been so incredible going forwards. We've conceded more goals than Millwall this season. Let that sink in.

Completely agree with this. We have got away with a number of results this season because we have managed to outscore the opposition, which is obviously the name of the game, but our defence, particularly the right side is often targeted and we do tend to panic a bit under pressure.

Had Cardiff's two goals come ten minutes earlier I would feel confident that we would have retaliated.

Major defensive surgery required if we go up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024