Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We CANT DEFEND!!! 14:32 - Mar 9 with 5097 viewsArnieM

Balls into our box and we CANT DEFEND!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:14 - Mar 9 with 1481 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:08 - Mar 9 by ArnieM

I’m sorry but I don’t accept because we attack we will inevitably concede. Were we attacking today when Cardiff scored? Defenders have a defensive job to do. It’s all good n fine to be part of the build up play. That’s not defending,(as I’ve tried so many times to differentiate to some on here). We lack the quality to defend when we are required to do so.

I get what you are saying but it is still part of the way we set up. We don't go to 10 men behind the ball and suddenly find 5 head-it-and-lump-it-defenders as soon as we take the lead. Give it time and perhaps we can develop a better balance but we are very effective as it is.

The defending was poor today (even before we scored) but Cardiff are a good side who fail to take the majority of their chances and make the most of set pieces.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:18 - Mar 9 with 1464 viewsArnieM

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 14:57 - Mar 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

Does it ever occur to you, when so many disagree with you and down-arrow you, that it might be you who's got it wrong?

It’s an opinion! A view of the game I’ve watched for many, many years. To stand up and go against the herd, isn’t easy. But it doesn’t make that view necessarily “ wrong”. The whole of Germany thought one man was right and 6m Jews were exterminated. But he was wrong wasnt he! One man stood up for freedom in South Africa and was jailed for 26 years, was he wrong becysse his view was different? In the 70’s there was open racism against players, were they right because they were in the majority at football grounds? My point is just because I see it different from some on here it doesn’t make my view “ wrong” and theirs “ right”. I suspect there’s quite few others that have a similar view to live on here but due to gaslighting that goes on, on this forum people are actually afraid to state their view. Bit sad really. Thing is if I was stood face to face discussing my view with some on here, I doubt I’d get the abuse I get on here where it’s so much easier for a faceless bullying response. Ok I might go a bit ott in the WAY I state my case (too much emotion I guess), but I will hold my hands up snd day it’s probably my gender. I’ve tried to keep that but quiet lol as I know I’ll likely get even more abuse from certain people on here.

As I’ve said, it’s not easy posting on here, but I try.

Anyway, on to the next game snd COYBs

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:23 - Mar 9 with 1419 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:18 - Mar 9 by ArnieM

It’s an opinion! A view of the game I’ve watched for many, many years. To stand up and go against the herd, isn’t easy. But it doesn’t make that view necessarily “ wrong”. The whole of Germany thought one man was right and 6m Jews were exterminated. But he was wrong wasnt he! One man stood up for freedom in South Africa and was jailed for 26 years, was he wrong becysse his view was different? In the 70’s there was open racism against players, were they right because they were in the majority at football grounds? My point is just because I see it different from some on here it doesn’t make my view “ wrong” and theirs “ right”. I suspect there’s quite few others that have a similar view to live on here but due to gaslighting that goes on, on this forum people are actually afraid to state their view. Bit sad really. Thing is if I was stood face to face discussing my view with some on here, I doubt I’d get the abuse I get on here where it’s so much easier for a faceless bullying response. Ok I might go a bit ott in the WAY I state my case (too much emotion I guess), but I will hold my hands up snd day it’s probably my gender. I’ve tried to keep that but quiet lol as I know I’ll likely get even more abuse from certain people on here.

Errrr... the fact that Hitler was a persuasive bstard in the 1930s does not mean you have a clue about football.

We don't have the best defence in the league, that's true. "WE CAN'T DEFEND" (and your constant slating of Wolfy) is nonsense. Utter nonsense.

This is just me stating my view, which I am also not afraid to post.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:24 - Mar 9 with 1416 viewsArnieM

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:11 - Mar 9 by blueislander

A serious question Arnie. What were your expectations at the start of the season?

Well I know absolutely none of you on here will believe me, but somewhere in here I actually said I could see us getting back to back promotions. Im viewed by many as negative, but as I’ve tried to explain in a pm ( response to an abusive pm to me), that I am actually quite an anxious bunny. Snd my anxiety posts I think probably come across as negative . But I honestly NEVER intend it to be viewed that way. I’m totally committed, blue to the bone Town fan. It we just miss out on top two, in cacking it that we end up playing “ you know who”, becysse I’m not sure we will beat them. That’s not me being negative , but more, very anxious about the prospect. O think those To$$as will scrap 6th ( but I’m praying they don’t). That’s not me being negative…. That’s me being bloody anxious as nuts!

Anyway best wishes guys, I never intentionally post to annoy. But clearly my views do . Hey ho sorry about that…,

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:28 - Mar 9 with 1392 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:24 - Mar 9 by ArnieM

Well I know absolutely none of you on here will believe me, but somewhere in here I actually said I could see us getting back to back promotions. Im viewed by many as negative, but as I’ve tried to explain in a pm ( response to an abusive pm to me), that I am actually quite an anxious bunny. Snd my anxiety posts I think probably come across as negative . But I honestly NEVER intend it to be viewed that way. I’m totally committed, blue to the bone Town fan. It we just miss out on top two, in cacking it that we end up playing “ you know who”, becysse I’m not sure we will beat them. That’s not me being negative , but more, very anxious about the prospect. O think those To$$as will scrap 6th ( but I’m praying they don’t). That’s not me being negative…. That’s me being bloody anxious as nuts!

Anyway best wishes guys, I never intentionally post to annoy. But clearly my views do . Hey ho sorry about that…,

There is a difference between seeing us possibly get back-to-back promotions and expecting us to do so easily.

We are very much in the fight for promotion with pretty-much guaranteed play-offs at least. Yes, it is conceivable we could lose to Norwich in the play-offs. It is also possible we could go up by beating them at Wembley. Two things that can also happen are us go up automatically or they miss out on the play offs altogether. Try not to over-think things outside your control.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:30 - Mar 9 with 1388 viewsArnieM

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:23 - Mar 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

Errrr... the fact that Hitler was a persuasive bstard in the 1930s does not mean you have a clue about football.

We don't have the best defence in the league, that's true. "WE CAN'T DEFEND" (and your constant slating of Wolfy) is nonsense. Utter nonsense.

This is just me stating my view, which I am also not afraid to post.

My view of him is he’s not as good as some of make him out to be. As a centre back I feel he is weak.

If my posting that view is seen as a “constant slating”of him, then it’s in response to constant glorification posts of him on here, and a complete denial of his weaknesses. Each coin has two sides to it. He’s good at some things but no one seems prepared to raise those weaknesses, which DEFENSIVELY, he has. Why not? What’s wrong with talking about what didn’t go right? No player is perfect.

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:31 - Mar 9 with 1367 viewsRyorry

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 14:53 - Mar 9 by Jimmy86

Whilst the OP's message is a bit extreme, I think it's fair to say that we do need to improve defensively, especially surrounding balls into our box.. yes, we're still 3rd, but it is that tight at the top that it could ultimately cost us, come the end of the season..

We do have bucket loads of resilience and have done unbelievably well this season, when all is said and done, but our approach has always been that we'll outscore the opposition, similar to the Royle days... All is not lost though, COYB!!

Agree, and in fairness to ArnieM, seven other threads have been posted on here in the last hour, all pointing out our poor defending in their OP’s, but none of them attracting anything like the same levels of criticism.

Maybe it’s the cumulative effect of Arnie’s posts that are the reason, bit like frimmers’.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:33 - Mar 9 with 1358 viewsArnieM

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:28 - Mar 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is a difference between seeing us possibly get back-to-back promotions and expecting us to do so easily.

We are very much in the fight for promotion with pretty-much guaranteed play-offs at least. Yes, it is conceivable we could lose to Norwich in the play-offs. It is also possible we could go up by beating them at Wembley. Two things that can also happen are us go up automatically or they miss out on the play offs altogether. Try not to over-think things outside your control.

“Try not to overthink things out of your control”…. VERY sound advice thanks, Nrthduffolkblue, lol snd had been said to me in other aspect life by my friends. II am, and will continue to try. It’s not easy though.

Login to get fewer ads

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:43 - Mar 9 with 1286 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:30 - Mar 9 by ArnieM

My view of him is he’s not as good as some of make him out to be. As a centre back I feel he is weak.

If my posting that view is seen as a “constant slating”of him, then it’s in response to constant glorification posts of him on here, and a complete denial of his weaknesses. Each coin has two sides to it. He’s good at some things but no one seems prepared to raise those weaknesses, which DEFENSIVELY, he has. Why not? What’s wrong with talking about what didn’t go right? No player is perfect.

No-one has said he is perfect. He is still pretty young too, especially for a defender. He has the odd lapse but overall is very very good, and will go on to be absolute class. Probably Prem class. But only by playing and learning.

There's nothing wrong with simply talking about what didn't go right. But you make the same mistake Frimmers always used to - you don't do that. You are way OTT.

You are too harsh on him IMO, regardless of what anyone else says.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 16:19 - Mar 9 with 1146 viewsGavTWTD

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:43 - Mar 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

No-one has said he is perfect. He is still pretty young too, especially for a defender. He has the odd lapse but overall is very very good, and will go on to be absolute class. Probably Prem class. But only by playing and learning.

There's nothing wrong with simply talking about what didn't go right. But you make the same mistake Frimmers always used to - you don't do that. You are way OTT.

You are too harsh on him IMO, regardless of what anyone else says.

We clearly can defend Arnie so sweeping statements like these don't help your cause. We're all hurting a bit at the moment.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 16:40 - Mar 9 with 1075 viewsKropotkin123

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 14:41 - Mar 9 by NthQldITFC

That's enough - div list

Agreed

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 16:46 - Mar 9 with 1058 viewspointofblue

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 16:19 - Mar 9 by GavTWTD

We clearly can defend Arnie so sweeping statements like these don't help your cause. We're all hurting a bit at the moment.

We've conceded 49 this season. Leicester, in comparison have let in 33 and Leeds 28. Our defence is ok, but it is an issue in a promotion battle where every point counts. Though I'd argue that our issue, in cases, can be struggling to defend from the front.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 17:19 - Mar 9 with 985 viewsArnieM

It’s not the games we’ve lost because clearly we’ve lost very few. But it’s the games where we should really have won, or been in apparent complete control, but for sloppy defending have then spent the majority of the game trying to get back on level terms, ending in a draw. That’s 2 points dropped each time.

With reference to Woolfie , ( these are my observations of him ) he’s is not exactly young at 25yrs. I know he’s improved ( a lot actually), but the basics of defending, ( tackling, physical presence in the box, winning his headers with conviction in the box, etc) are in my humble view, average.

He’s not particularly quick in my view and often look to be trying to keep up with the attacker ( he rarely if ever makes a defensive tackle on ), them but allows them often, to get to the by line or into the box, by which time it’s dodgy to make a challenge unless you’re very good. In the box he will often mark fresh air and constantly drops back and back , rarely looking to narrow the gap or close down. Yes he’s on occasions “ been in the right place at the right time”, but the main defensive presence in the box comes from Burgess. Most of our goals conceded are down the right side ( no matter who is at right back). Most opponents appear to attack us down that side . There’s a reason for that I suspect.

I would also add IMHO that Edmundson is also average . But he’s not often in the team. There’s a reason.

Whilst many on here place Woolfie on a pedestal, I have reservations. As for being a top PL player, well Im sorry, I just don’t see it happening. I suppose the best indicator of his standing is those outside of the club and fan base . How many times ( assuming you are correct and he’s a brilliant defender), has he been named in Championship of the Week, or been a MOTM?

Woolfie is easy in the eye, and comfortable “on the ball” bringing it out. I suspect that’s why McKenna picks him. But that’s not defending and that's my focus of his game weaknesses. I notice in his recent interview he commented on the fact he’s been having coaching in heading : good it’s needed, and he has improved a bit from it. It was notable in the previous home game before the last one, he was making many headers further up the pitch and for a change, getting some distance on them (they normally go straight up in the air), so that’s good, it’s an improvement. But for me he’s an average defender. Can he improve? Yes he can. But I’d suggest he’ll never have that power, physical dominance, tackling ability, and pace required to make it any higher than he currently is. We shall see. None of what I’ve said is meant as a slating or a criticism, it’s my observations and assessment of his game, that’s all.
[Post edited 9 Mar 17:23]

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 17:20 - Mar 9 with 980 viewsghostofescobar

D1ckhead. Apart from today, what’s your evidence over the season?

GhostOfEscobar

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 17:47 - Mar 9 with 883 viewsChurchman

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 17:19 - Mar 9 by ArnieM

It’s not the games we’ve lost because clearly we’ve lost very few. But it’s the games where we should really have won, or been in apparent complete control, but for sloppy defending have then spent the majority of the game trying to get back on level terms, ending in a draw. That’s 2 points dropped each time.

With reference to Woolfie , ( these are my observations of him ) he’s is not exactly young at 25yrs. I know he’s improved ( a lot actually), but the basics of defending, ( tackling, physical presence in the box, winning his headers with conviction in the box, etc) are in my humble view, average.

He’s not particularly quick in my view and often look to be trying to keep up with the attacker ( he rarely if ever makes a defensive tackle on ), them but allows them often, to get to the by line or into the box, by which time it’s dodgy to make a challenge unless you’re very good. In the box he will often mark fresh air and constantly drops back and back , rarely looking to narrow the gap or close down. Yes he’s on occasions “ been in the right place at the right time”, but the main defensive presence in the box comes from Burgess. Most of our goals conceded are down the right side ( no matter who is at right back). Most opponents appear to attack us down that side . There’s a reason for that I suspect.

I would also add IMHO that Edmundson is also average . But he’s not often in the team. There’s a reason.

Whilst many on here place Woolfie on a pedestal, I have reservations. As for being a top PL player, well Im sorry, I just don’t see it happening. I suppose the best indicator of his standing is those outside of the club and fan base . How many times ( assuming you are correct and he’s a brilliant defender), has he been named in Championship of the Week, or been a MOTM?

Woolfie is easy in the eye, and comfortable “on the ball” bringing it out. I suspect that’s why McKenna picks him. But that’s not defending and that's my focus of his game weaknesses. I notice in his recent interview he commented on the fact he’s been having coaching in heading : good it’s needed, and he has improved a bit from it. It was notable in the previous home game before the last one, he was making many headers further up the pitch and for a change, getting some distance on them (they normally go straight up in the air), so that’s good, it’s an improvement. But for me he’s an average defender. Can he improve? Yes he can. But I’d suggest he’ll never have that power, physical dominance, tackling ability, and pace required to make it any higher than he currently is. We shall see. None of what I’ve said is meant as a slating or a criticism, it’s my observations and assessment of his game, that’s all.
[Post edited 9 Mar 17:23]

With regard to your last paragraph, you are slating/criticising Woolfenden. There’s no need to dress it up. It’s a bit like saying ‘I don’t mean to be rude’ then proceed to be very rude.

Well, you might think Woolfenden is ‘average’. I don’t agree.
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 17:52 - Mar 9 with 867 viewsbluejacko

Bloody hell all this bickering! Look at the goals conceded. It is by far the worst in the top four! Now that would suggest that our defence is rather weak. We usually score to offset that but today in our box we were just not able to cope.
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 18:00 - Mar 9 with 835 viewsITFCSG

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 17:20 - Mar 9 by ghostofescobar

D1ckhead. Apart from today, what’s your evidence over the season?

Look at the goals conceded this season. Stoke and QPR right above the drop zone have conceded just ONE more than us. Even Millwall has conceded less goals than us. We can't seem to stop giving cheap goals away even to garbage teams such as Rotherham at home. Luckily on most occasions we score more than we give away but we can't do that 100% of the time, like today and that is where it comes back to bite.
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 18:06 - Mar 9 with 826 viewsitfcsuth

I don’t think we are the best defensive side in the division at all - but I think you need a bit more balance to your argument than ‘we can’t defend’.

We are certainly susceptible to conceding goals, this is nothing new, we have been the same all season, I think it is partly due to our expansive attacking playing style, and partly down to defensive lapses.

Today we saw the consequence of conceding late and it hurt us, but I also have to say I thought we were poor offensively as well today - don’t think we deserved 3 points today.

We take the medicine, we have dished it out enough with late comebacks this year. We dust ourselves down and bounce back like we do so well.

COYB!
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 20:44 - Mar 9 with 708 viewsbazza

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 14:34 - Mar 9 by NeedhamChris

You're as much of a troll as Frimmers was, if not more. Stain on the fan base.

I’d say more drama queen, than a troll.
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 21:14 - Mar 9 with 665 viewsMDBLUE1

A serious question Arnie. What were your expectations at the start of the season?

I agree. We have a lower premiership midfiel and attack but a league one central defense Morsy is our best defender
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 21:25 - Mar 9 with 654 viewsMDBLUE1

We are a lower premiership midfield and attack with a league one defense
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 22:13 - Mar 9 with 626 viewsLancsBlue

All of this focusing on Woolfenden kind of misses the point about today. We dominated possession before we scored yet after that, when game management should dictate that we continue to do that, instead we sat ever deeper, conceded possession and tried to defend balls into the box rather than dealing with the source and continuing to control the game. That is not Woolfenden's fault, that is a whole team issue. The opposition can't score when you are in possession of the ball and we surrendered that far too easily in the latter stages. Blaming Woolfenden is just scapegoating and displays a rather limited understanding of the game.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 22:26 - Mar 9 with 597 viewsreusersfreekicks

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 15:18 - Mar 9 by ArnieM

Ffs those comparisons are offensive.
Get over yourself
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 22:32 - Mar 9 with 577 viewsMDBLUE1

I think there is some element of truth in w hat he says, While the rest of our team is lower premier standard our ce ntral defence is league one
We CANT DEFEND!!! on 06:52 - Mar 10 with 479 viewsNeedhamChris

We CANT DEFEND!!! on 22:32 - Mar 9 by MDBLUE1

I think there is some element of truth in w hat he says, While the rest of our team is lower premier standard our ce ntral defence is league one

You don't sit 3rd in the championship with a League One defence.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024