Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fro anyone struggling with addiction 14:33 - Mar 8 with 853 viewsgiant_stow

there's a powerful few paragraphs at the bottom of this John Grace column:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/mar/08/digested-week-george-galloway-by

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Fro anyone struggling with addiction on 17:33 - Mar 8 with 677 viewsChurchman

Indeed. interesting and expresses neatly how hard it is dealing with addiction.

Earlier in the article describing his week there’s a neatly done scourging of Jeremy Dimwit Hunt too.

‘Jeremy Hunt is not the sharpest economic mind on the block – being slightly brighter than his technically braindead No 2 at the Treasury, Laura Trott, is not a great selling point – and his delivery was dismal. As if even he didn’t really believe in what he was saying. Then, maybe he just didn’t understand it.

That might excuse the 80 minutes he was on his feet. Because in that time, Jezza said almost nothing that wasn’t false. There are far greater truths to be found in fiction. He began by saying this was a budget for growth. He forgot he had said that last time and that we are now in a recession. He said debt was falling. It wasn’t. He said he was reducing taxes. They were rising to their highest level since 1948. It was as though he was describing a different country to the one we all know exists.’
Fro anyone struggling with addiction on 19:32 - Mar 8 with 626 viewsstickymockwell

6 years sober for me now!
The only alcohol to pass my lips was an accident at a gig where the barmaid gave me a full strength ghostship.
The hardest, most worthwhile thing I've faced. I don't mind saying I'm proud of myself as I was on the floor.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Fro anyone struggling with addiction on 22:30 - Mar 8 with 497 viewsRobTheMonk

I had a binge drinking issue looking back. Every weekend was getting pissed to excess that went on until I met Madge.

I think it might have been a confidence thing and that I was a jolly drunk. What people didn’t see was the crippling hangovers where I would spend most of the day in bed with anxiety palpitations where I couldn’t remember if I’d done something stupid. I suppose it was an addiction at the time.

It sounds really odd, but at the time I could quite happily go through the week with no booze and then Friday night would hit and I’d be guzzling down enough to kill a horse.

I guess being closer to fourty than thirty with kids changes your perspective. And the fact two toddlers with a hangover is nigh on impossible.

I still like the occasional drink, tonight I’ve treated myself to a four pack of Guinness over the evening, but it’s now few and far between and I feel confident enough to navigate social situations without having a skinful. Again, having kids, twins, has meant that everything difficult socially has kind of paled in comparison to the proverbial warfare of the first year of parenting.

Madges parents are both alcoholics. Can’t get past 5pm without a glass of wine or they get the shakes. I don’t want to be like that in 30 years.

If you think you have an issue with something, please reach out to someone whether that’s friends, family, GP or even here.
Fro anyone struggling with addiction on 23:34 - Mar 8 with 406 viewsIpswich24

Fro anyone struggling with addiction on 22:30 - Mar 8 by RobTheMonk

I had a binge drinking issue looking back. Every weekend was getting pissed to excess that went on until I met Madge.

I think it might have been a confidence thing and that I was a jolly drunk. What people didn’t see was the crippling hangovers where I would spend most of the day in bed with anxiety palpitations where I couldn’t remember if I’d done something stupid. I suppose it was an addiction at the time.

It sounds really odd, but at the time I could quite happily go through the week with no booze and then Friday night would hit and I’d be guzzling down enough to kill a horse.

I guess being closer to fourty than thirty with kids changes your perspective. And the fact two toddlers with a hangover is nigh on impossible.

I still like the occasional drink, tonight I’ve treated myself to a four pack of Guinness over the evening, but it’s now few and far between and I feel confident enough to navigate social situations without having a skinful. Again, having kids, twins, has meant that everything difficult socially has kind of paled in comparison to the proverbial warfare of the first year of parenting.

Madges parents are both alcoholics. Can’t get past 5pm without a glass of wine or they get the shakes. I don’t want to be like that in 30 years.

If you think you have an issue with something, please reach out to someone whether that’s friends, family, GP or even here.

5 and a half years free from a .crippling gambling addiction since attending GA

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024