Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers 06:13 - Feb 28 with 7965 viewsgtsb1966

but this is bonkers. If people take offence to that they're the ones with the problem not BR.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68416265
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:19 - Feb 28 with 1425 viewsHerbivore

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:12 - Feb 28 by Nutkins_Return

I don't think this is helpful though. We just have a society that sits on one side of the fence and zero middle ground or reasonableness from anyone. It's either "it's a disgrace" or "the world's gone mad". Your now fuelling the argument saying its the other side that is more out raged "no you're more outraged", "no you are".

What's happened is Brendan hasn't meant anything by it but used a slightly silly phrase. Those organisations come out with really over the top condemnation of it have made this incendiary. They could have made contact with Brendan and just said something discretely or they could have at worst just said started with "we appreciate Brendan didn't mean anything offensive and we've spoken to the journalist in question who found no offence but we felt it went wanted to address....". People no longer start from a point of understanding or with a willingness to accept nobody is perfect etc.

Literally nobody, including the feminist organisation, has said "it's a disgrace".

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:22 - Feb 28 with 1422 viewsChorleyBoy

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 07:40 - Feb 28 by Herbivore

Calling a female professional journalist "good girl" for doing her job is pretty condescending, I don't think that's exactly a controversial view. As ever, a lot more energy seems to be being expended on outrage that this has been highlighted than on outrage at what he's said. There's one feminist organisation saying it's casual sexism and asking him to explain what he meant by it, nobody is saying he should be strung up.

If the journalist had been a man, Rodgers would most likely have said "Good man" meaning nothing more than "thanks" or "cheers".

We say good man, good boy or good lad to males depending on their age. These are all collocates adopted over centuries of use most probably because they are single syllable words, we don't say "Good gentleman" for example.

We say good girl, but we don't say "good lady" or "good woman" in these types of situations. Why? Because it sounds weird, not because we want to be judgemental or to belittle women.

Should we change it? Perhaps, but I don't think it's necessary. I think we are intelligent and nuanced enough to understand that different people of different ages and backgrounds address people differently and do so not because of some deep rooted sexism or disrespect but most probably for exactly the opposite reason - they want to be friendly and accessible.

Societies are stronger and less divided when we look for reasons to like others rather than be offended by them.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:25 - Feb 28 with 1401 viewsChorleyBoy

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 08:50 - Feb 28 by nodge_blue

I think it was a silly thing to say. He was a bit under pressure and maybe that didn’t help but it clearly wasn’t the best choice of words.

If it was a male interviewer and he finished with good man nobody would have raised an eyebrow though. And that choice of language is seen as just saying thanks.

You've managed to say in 50 words what I did in 300. Good lad!
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:26 - Feb 28 with 1400 viewsHerbivore

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:22 - Feb 28 by ChorleyBoy

If the journalist had been a man, Rodgers would most likely have said "Good man" meaning nothing more than "thanks" or "cheers".

We say good man, good boy or good lad to males depending on their age. These are all collocates adopted over centuries of use most probably because they are single syllable words, we don't say "Good gentleman" for example.

We say good girl, but we don't say "good lady" or "good woman" in these types of situations. Why? Because it sounds weird, not because we want to be judgemental or to belittle women.

Should we change it? Perhaps, but I don't think it's necessary. I think we are intelligent and nuanced enough to understand that different people of different ages and backgrounds address people differently and do so not because of some deep rooted sexism or disrespect but most probably for exactly the opposite reason - they want to be friendly and accessible.

Societies are stronger and less divided when we look for reasons to like others rather than be offended by them.

In a professional context I have never referred to a female colleague as a good girl. When I've received good service from someone female I have never said to them "well done, good girl". I find it bizarre that you're trying to suggest he was following some sort of convention.

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:31 - Feb 28 with 1377 viewsZapers

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:26 - Feb 28 by Herbivore

In a professional context I have never referred to a female colleague as a good girl. When I've received good service from someone female I have never said to them "well done, good girl". I find it bizarre that you're trying to suggest he was following some sort of convention.

Not everyone is perfect Herb.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:40 - Feb 28 with 1355 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:22 - Feb 28 by ChorleyBoy

On a serious note.....

I wouldn't say "Good Girl" as it does sound a bit condescending, much more so than good man or good lad.

Hooever, I think the point here is that a certain type of person enjoys getting strung up over things like this. If I am unfortunate enough to have to serve a retail customer I have a habit of calling women 'Ma'am" and last year some old bat took offence at this, I think it's fair to say that these type of people just look for things to call out, it makes them feel superior.

Brendan Rodgers has always irked me for some reason but he was spot on when he commented that the reaction to his language was “sad for society”

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:58 - Feb 28 with 1318 viewsBuhrer

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 08:51 - Feb 28 by Zapers

But it's ok to publicly refer to the man as being "a bit thick"

But it's ok for you to condescendingly tell the op "A modern lesson for your consideration"

Righto, see what we are dealing with here.

If you can't tell the difference already, I will never be able to get you to understand.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:01 - Feb 28 with 1309 viewsChorleyBoy

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:26 - Feb 28 by Herbivore

The reason why you've never referred to a female colleague as a good girl is probably the reason why I have never done so either - that you never hear that language being used in a professional context.

We are the Tractor Boys. Our women's team are often called the Tractor Girls (

Tractor Girls' Game Off 21st Feb 2024 14:01
Ipswich Town Women’s game against Hashtag United at the AGL Arena this evening has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. 0

). Are we disrespectful calling them girls?

Hear Sam Morsy say"Let's go boys!" at 1:07. He's doing his job, leading his team - is he being disrespectful to his colleagues?:

Your profession, like mine, has a different language to Rodgers'. It's really that simple.

Should Rodgers have been more conscious that he talking to a journalist and no longer in the changing room? Of course. Do you honestly believe that his comments were designed to offend or because of some ingrained personal or cultural disrespect for women? Or was he just being friendly and grateful and more likely using the language that he grew up with and hears in his profession all the time?
Login to get fewer ads

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:07 - Feb 28 with 1293 viewsLeoMuff

As others have said, I can’t envisage anybody I have worked with in many decades who would call a colleague a good girl, it is patronising and demeaning. If any one said good boy to me I would think that to be very strange indeed.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:15 - Feb 28 with 1268 viewsClutch

It's not bonkers, he's a condescending prick.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:16 - Feb 28 with 1268 viewsChorleyBoy

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:40 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

On a serious note.....

I wouldn't say "Good Girl" as it does sound a bit condescending, much more so than good man or good lad.

Hooever, I think the point here is that a certain type of person enjoys getting strung up over things like this. If I am unfortunate enough to have to serve a retail customer I have a habit of calling women 'Ma'am" and last year some old bat took offence at this, I think it's fair to say that these type of people just look for things to call out, it makes them feel superior.

Brendan Rodgers has always irked me for some reason but he was spot on when he commented that the reaction to his language was “sad for society”

Fair points.

I'm no Rodgers fan either but I think he deserves a break here. He's from a working class background, and he's worked in football all his life.

As has been mentioned a couple of times already in this thread, if it had been a male journo, he'd most likely have said "good man" to express his thanks and no one would have raised an eyebrow. He instinctively said "good girl" probably because that's the language of his upbringing and profession.

Indeed it's "sad for society" that it's even an issue. Those who know their history understand that control of language is a step in the direction of authoritarianism.
The desperation of some people to…. on 10:26 - Feb 28 with 1244 viewsBloots

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:40 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

On a serious note.....

….look “superior” to others is one of the biggest issues in our society.

It’s seen in all walks of life, it’s an overwhelming phenomenon on here, and just leads to a breed of dreadful, pompous old twangers who create a false impression of themselves that they can rarely live up to.

My only hope is that once these people inevitably become the majority they will all disappear up each others arseholes and disappear.

A sort of “bumhole blackhole” that cleanses the world.

Viva La Revolution.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:39 - Feb 28 with 1220 viewsJackNorthStand

It’s madness isn’t it.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:41 - Feb 28 with 1218 viewsNutkins_Return

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:19 - Feb 28 by Herbivore

Literally nobody, including the feminist organisation, has said "it's a disgrace".

And you literally didn't read what I wrote or judge it fairly. I started with a comment on society at the moment and you can look at it across a range of areas (right Vs left etc). And then I commented specifically on this situation.

I didn't say they said that in this case. What they did do though is throw his comments under the bus with no attempt a giving the context that he knows her and has existing relationship and there was no offence taken from her etc. straight to judgement and condemnation when it could have been "we were aware of the phrase and there was no offence intended or caused but reached out to Brendon just to let him know how that phrase can impact".

The result now is this thread all over the country with people really annoyed on both sides. Such a shame.
The desperation of some people to…. on 10:43 - Feb 28 with 1217 viewsPhilTWTD

The desperation of some people to…. on 10:26 - Feb 28 by Bloots

….look “superior” to others is one of the biggest issues in our society.

It’s seen in all walks of life, it’s an overwhelming phenomenon on here, and just leads to a breed of dreadful, pompous old twangers who create a false impression of themselves that they can rarely live up to.

My only hope is that once these people inevitably become the majority they will all disappear up each others arseholes and disappear.

A sort of “bumhole blackhole” that cleanses the world.

Viva La Revolution.

Isn't it Brendan Rodgers who is trying to come over as superior in this? For me, it was blatantly patronising and condescending and ir was right he was called out on it.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:45 - Feb 28 with 1197 viewsPhilTWTD

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 08:49 - Feb 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

I say “Good lad” to people all the time. I’ve yet to make the local news.
However, the dog looks like he might be on the verge of making a complaint.

Not really the same though, is it? If he said 'Good little chap' or something similar to that that would be a rough equivalent.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:55 - Feb 28 with 1165 viewsZapers

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 09:58 - Feb 28 by Buhrer

If you can't tell the difference already, I will never be able to get you to understand.

Thanks for the lesson, appreciate it-not🤷‍♀️
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:14 - Feb 28 with 1133 viewsHerbivore

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:41 - Feb 28 by Nutkins_Return

And you literally didn't read what I wrote or judge it fairly. I started with a comment on society at the moment and you can look at it across a range of areas (right Vs left etc). And then I commented specifically on this situation.

I didn't say they said that in this case. What they did do though is throw his comments under the bus with no attempt a giving the context that he knows her and has existing relationship and there was no offence taken from her etc. straight to judgement and condemnation when it could have been "we were aware of the phrase and there was no offence intended or caused but reached out to Brendon just to let him know how that phrase can impact".

The result now is this thread all over the country with people really annoyed on both sides. Such a shame.

Who is annoyed? I'm certainly not, but the "you can't say anything anymore" brigade seems to be quite exercised by it. I think your both sidesing is both incorrect and quite unhelpful. There is a lot of energy being expended on outrage towards a pretty minor reaction to a condescending remark made by a man in a powerful position to a female journalist. By contrast there is one organisation saying they're a bit fed up of casual sexism and somehow they are being painted as the ones up in arms. Nobody is calling for Rodgers' head, nobody is saying he's a disgrace, some feminists are just a bit exasperated at that kind of patronising tone being taken with a female journalist is 2024.
[Post edited 28 Feb 11:45]

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:15 - Feb 28 with 1131 viewsfarkenhell

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 10:45 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

Not really the same though, is it? If he said 'Good little chap' or something similar to that that would be a rough equivalent.

I get the "good girl/boy" comparison and the patronising nature of the comment (he was clearly irked because she persisted in asking for more details about his earlier vague comment). However, I can't help wondering if those who have objected would also have done so if he had said "good lady" (as opposed to "good man")? What are we then left with? Good person? Good human?
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:17 - Feb 28 with 1116 viewsfarkenhell

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 08:49 - Feb 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

I say “Good lad” to people all the time. I’ve yet to make the local news.
However, the dog looks like he might be on the verge of making a complaint.

I'm also about to take the dog out for a walk. Made a mental note to say "good dog" instead of "good girl", just in case...
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:24 - Feb 28 with 1101 viewsZapers

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:15 - Feb 28 by farkenhell

I get the "good girl/boy" comparison and the patronising nature of the comment (he was clearly irked because she persisted in asking for more details about his earlier vague comment). However, I can't help wondering if those who have objected would also have done so if he had said "good lady" (as opposed to "good man")? What are we then left with? Good person? Good human?

Good they🤣
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:28 - Feb 28 with 1097 viewsPhilTWTD

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:15 - Feb 28 by farkenhell

It's a false equivalence though, isn't it? Saying 'good girl' in that context was an obvious attempt at belittling the interviewer.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:35 - Feb 28 with 1072 viewsHerbivore

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 11:24 - Feb 28 by Zapers

Good they🤣

Interesting to see one of the anti-bullying brigade making a joke at the expense of trans and non-binary individuals.

I was referring entirely to…. on 11:36 - Feb 28 with 1070 viewsBloots

The desperation of some people to…. on 10:43 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

Isn't it Brendan Rodgers who is trying to come over as superior in this? For me, it was blatantly patronising and condescending and ir was right he was called out on it.

…modern society rather than BR.

The journo in question has said she wasn’t offended, so people are doing it on her behalf. Probably makes them feel superior to her.

Personally I think he was using “football language” and if he was saying “good boy” it wouldn’t have been deemed condescending.

But that just makes me sexist I guess.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

I was referring entirely to…. on 11:42 - Feb 28 with 1045 viewsHerbivore

I was referring entirely to…. on 11:36 - Feb 28 by Bloots

…modern society rather than BR.

The journo in question has said she wasn’t offended, so people are doing it on her behalf. Probably makes them feel superior to her.

Personally I think he was using “football language” and if he was saying “good boy” it wouldn’t have been deemed condescending.

But that just makes me sexist I guess.

You think the feminist organisation that have highlighted the comments have done so in order to feel superior? That's a hot take.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024