Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" 17:18 - Feb 18 with 1334 viewsford6600

Fulham beat Town 10-1 at Craven Cottage on Boxing Day 1963. It remains our heaviest defeat if 10-1 is worse than 9-0! Town were crowned League Champions the previous year. John Cobbold then Chairman, explained, "We were all suffering from Christmas Day hangovers and were still in party mood, only our goalkeeper was sober". Anyone remember the match? Was team inebriation obvious, did our goalie prevent a cricket score? Those were the days, owners and players enjoying a drink or two or three or more...cheers.
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 17:32 - Feb 18 with 1253 viewsAviator

Also see Fleetwood 2023!
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 17:59 - Feb 18 with 1180 viewsford6600

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 17:32 - Feb 18 by Aviator

Also see Fleetwood 2023!

Yes an underwhelming performance, not as if we had to rotate, some already on the beach! Just shows if players 'unfocused' we struggle to draw with a team like Fleetwood.
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 18:17 - Feb 18 with 1140 viewshjerman

When speaking to a family friend, a total town fan who sadly died a couple of years ago, I was amazed when he told me he attended that infamous game, and despite being a well spoken sort of bloke, shocked me by saying you could tell from the moment they came onto the pitch they were all completely p1ssed. I was giving him a lift at the time to a Boxing Day game which was how we got onto the subject, I was also surprised to hear that games used to be played on Christmas Day a few seasons before that.
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 18:34 - Feb 18 with 1071 viewsEastTownBlue

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 18:17 - Feb 18 by hjerman

When speaking to a family friend, a total town fan who sadly died a couple of years ago, I was amazed when he told me he attended that infamous game, and despite being a well spoken sort of bloke, shocked me by saying you could tell from the moment they came onto the pitch they were all completely p1ssed. I was giving him a lift at the time to a Boxing Day game which was how we got onto the subject, I was also surprised to hear that games used to be played on Christmas Day a few seasons before that.

I recall watching Fulham’s Alan Mullery on a TV programme a number of years ago being asked about that match. All he said was that there were circumstances behind that and said no more. He really didn’t see that as one of Fulham’s great performances.
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 18:34 - Feb 18 with 1067 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Town had sobered up 2 days later.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 19:01 - Feb 18 with 997 viewsTangledupin_Blue

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 18:17 - Feb 18 by hjerman

At one time it was the usual thing to play the same team, home and away league games, on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. They would pair neighbouring teams to minimise travelling distances.

Thus in 1951 these results from Division 3S:
Dec 25th... Ipswich 0 Norwich 2
Dec 26th... Norwich 2 Ipswich 0

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:22 - Feb 18 with 834 viewsMattinLondon

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 19:01 - Feb 18 by Tangledupin_Blue

At one time it was the usual thing to play the same team, home and away league games, on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. They would pair neighbouring teams to minimise travelling distances.

Thus in 1951 these results from Division 3S:
Dec 25th... Ipswich 0 Norwich 2
Dec 26th... Norwich 2 Ipswich 0

TWTD must have been carnage then.
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:46 - Feb 18 with 767 viewsblueislander

That was on Christmas Day. I went to Portman Road on Boxing Day, and we beat them 4-2_
Login to get fewer ads

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:53 - Feb 18 with 737 viewsTangledupin_Blue

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:46 - Feb 18 by blueislander

That was on Christmas Day. I went to Portman Road on Boxing Day, and we beat them 4-2_

You are mistaken. It was Boxing Day, a Thursday.

The return fixture was at PR two days later, Saturday 28th.

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:56 - Feb 18 with 708 viewsblueislander

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:53 - Feb 18 by Tangledupin_Blue

You are mistaken. It was Boxing Day, a Thursday.

The return fixture was at PR two days later, Saturday 28th.

It was a few years ago.
"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:58 - Feb 18 with 691 viewsTangledupin_Blue

"Only our goalkeeper was sober" on 20:56 - Feb 18 by blueislander

It was a few years ago.

Indeed. We old'uns are susceptible to tricks of the memory.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024