Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No more Broadside??? 19:56 - Feb 12 with 3533 viewsgtsb1966

I would be gutted. My favourite beer. Hope it doesn't go under.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/12/adnams-calls-in-advisers-to-see
No more Broadside??? on 19:59 - Feb 12 with 2834 views_clive_baker_

Thought he played well on Saturday.

Have to say I’m shook that Adnams revenue is only £30m, always had it down as a much bigger business than that.
No more Broadside??? on 20:02 - Feb 12 with 2812 viewshoppy

Ditto... hope it can be saved from going under.

Broadside, Ghost Ship (and Tally Ho) are all often hoppy beers of choice.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

No more Broadside??? on 20:13 - Feb 12 with 2762 viewsEastTownBlue

No more Broadside??? on 19:59 - Feb 12 by _clive_baker_

Have to say I’m shook that Adnams revenue is only £30m, always had it down as a much bigger business than that.

Indeed, I often see their ales throughout the country.

Other breweries have suffered in recent years and sadly one closer to home is in a bit of trouble.
No more Broadside??? on 20:15 - Feb 12 with 2740 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I've been on a one man mission to keep Adnams afloat for about 45 years. I even worked as a barman at the Swan in my youth. I don't understand how this could possibly happen. Seem such a well run company with products in supermarkets up and down the land, hotels that seen to be thriving, they even won best gin recently at a hugely prestigious world gin awards thingummy. Really can't see them going under.

Poll: would you rather

No more Broadside??? on 20:19 - Feb 12 with 2715 viewspointofblue

No more Broadside??? on 20:15 - Feb 12 by LegendofthePhoenix

I've been on a one man mission to keep Adnams afloat for about 45 years. I even worked as a barman at the Swan in my youth. I don't understand how this could possibly happen. Seem such a well run company with products in supermarkets up and down the land, hotels that seen to be thriving, they even won best gin recently at a hugely prestigious world gin awards thingummy. Really can't see them going under.

I think they'll be bought out if it goes that far.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

No more Broadside??? on 20:21 - Feb 12 with 2704 views_clive_baker_

No more Broadside??? on 20:13 - Feb 12 by EastTownBlue

Indeed, I often see their ales throughout the country.

Other breweries have suffered in recent years and sadly one closer to home is in a bit of trouble.

Certainly have. It’s brutal out there at the moment.

Hopefully they can raise some dough to keep the wolves from the door.
No more Broadside??? on 20:25 - Feb 12 with 2672 viewsBugs

No more Broadside??? on 20:19 - Feb 12 by pointofblue

Nearly as bad. If one of the big corps bought them, it would be the name they are after. You could guarantee within a few years' production would move elsewhere.
No more Broadside??? on 20:27 - Feb 12 with 2646 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is it OK to hoard? Asking for a friend.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

No more Broadside??? on 20:28 - Feb 12 with 2636 viewsGuthrum

That would be a disaster. My favourite also.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No more Broadside??? on 20:33 - Feb 12 with 2591 views_clive_baker_

No more Broadside??? on 20:19 - Feb 12 by pointofblue

Pretty sure they will too. A good heritage brand, strong manufacturing capabilities, and a healthy balance sheet thanks to some chunky assets. It’s not an unhealthy business by any stretch.

It’s a brutal time for a lot of businesses in such a challenging climate with softening demand and rampant inflation, but I’m sure they’ll be ok. I imagine it’s a liquidity challenge as much as anything.

The market cap per their current share price looks cheap to me tbh. If I had a spare £7m I would buy it. Sadly I don’t.
No more Broadside??? on 21:01 - Feb 12 with 2482 viewsstonojnr

No more Broadside??? on 20:25 - Feb 12 by Bugs

Nearly as bad. If one of the big corps bought them, it would be the name they are after. You could guarantee within a few years' production would move elsewhere.

Breal Capital, private equity firm, who are apparently interested enough to be going round publically telling the media how much theyre interested dont even bother waiting a few years, theyve shifted Brick brewery and Brew by Numbers from London to Black Sheeps brewery in Masham within 6 months of taking over, and they only took over Black Sheep 8 months ago, and have already acquired Purity brewery this year.

Smaller scale stuff maybe, but the alarm bells are there for sure.

and Im not comforted by either the fact the Chief Exec had already announced he was stepping down this year, as is their COO, or that theyre considering selling some of their pub estate, because their pub estate is really small for the size of brewer they are, because they never really had that kind of pub foothold (blame Tolly Cobbold) of pubs and got rid of most of them in the 90s.

energy prices rising, which impacts raw ingredient costs as well as brewing costs, as well as pub costs,higher interest on their existing debts and falling sales is whats doing it for them, people just arent going to the pub as they used to anymore.
No more Broadside??? on 21:14 - Feb 12 with 2420 viewsBugs

No more Broadside??? on 21:01 - Feb 12 by stonojnr

Breal Capital, private equity firm, who are apparently interested enough to be going round publically telling the media how much theyre interested dont even bother waiting a few years, theyve shifted Brick brewery and Brew by Numbers from London to Black Sheeps brewery in Masham within 6 months of taking over, and they only took over Black Sheep 8 months ago, and have already acquired Purity brewery this year.

Smaller scale stuff maybe, but the alarm bells are there for sure.

and Im not comforted by either the fact the Chief Exec had already announced he was stepping down this year, as is their COO, or that theyre considering selling some of their pub estate, because their pub estate is really small for the size of brewer they are, because they never really had that kind of pub foothold (blame Tolly Cobbold) of pubs and got rid of most of them in the 90s.

energy prices rising, which impacts raw ingredient costs as well as brewing costs, as well as pub costs,higher interest on their existing debts and falling sales is whats doing it for them, people just arent going to the pub as they used to anymore.

As a brewery that supports the local community (at least the where I am in Suffolk), I can't fault Adnams. I help run a small community woodland project and every time we ask for support from them, they deliver. Their support has made a big difference to the finances we have available each year.

If they were ever bought out, that support would more or less be guaranteed to be gone.
No more Broadside??? on 21:22 - Feb 12 with 2387 viewsbournemouthblue

Oh dear, that would be awful news!

Their shops do seem to have cut back on their range in their shops

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

No more Broadside??? on 07:45 - Feb 13 with 2061 viewsCoastalblue

I thought my Missus was keeping them afloat in gin sales, she'll be gutted if they go.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

No more Broadside??? on 07:53 - Feb 13 with 2046 viewsPlums

No more Broadside??? on 07:45 - Feb 13 by Coastalblue

I thought my Missus was keeping them afloat in gin sales, she'll be gutted if they go.

Me too. Copper House is my favourite gin by a country mile.
Hope they can find a solution.
[Post edited 13 Feb 7:53]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

No more Broadside??? on 08:06 - Feb 13 with 2007 viewschicoazul

No more Broadside??? on 19:59 - Feb 12 by _clive_baker_

I’m amazed a regional brewer/retailer has turnover that big.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

No more Broadside??? on 09:00 - Feb 13 with 1937 viewsKeno

The vast online media, Audi, cheese and 'other interests' conglomerate that is TWTD can step in

we could have a Happy, Hoppy, Hoppy Ale

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

No more Broadside??? on 09:30 - Feb 13 with 1881 viewsBondiBlue

No more Broadside??? on 20:15 - Feb 12 by LegendofthePhoenix

You can buy adnams over here too. Broadside and ghost ship available in the big bottlo chain, dan murphy's.

Would be sad to see them go under. Every time i go in dan murphy's i buy a broadside to watch the town with.

Poll: Which would you accept?

No more Broadside??? on 09:44 - Feb 13 with 1849 viewshatch

No more Broadside??? on 21:14 - Feb 12 by Bugs

As a brewery that supports the local community (at least the where I am in Suffolk), I can't fault Adnams. I help run a small community woodland project and every time we ask for support from them, they deliver. Their support has made a big difference to the finances we have available each year.

If they were ever bought out, that support would more or less be guaranteed to be gone.

We emailed them to sponsor our SW London cricket team a couple of years ago and they sent us abut 10 cases of ghost ship cans. A slightly less worthwhile cause but still...!

I worry they over diversified into too many different products, need to focus back in on their core market and stop selling Adnams Limoncello.
No more Broadside??? on 09:47 - Feb 13 with 1841 viewsDanTheMan

That'd be a huge shame, I like Ghostship, their gins are good and they do really nice alcohol free stuff as well.

Might have to buy some crates.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

No more Broadside??? on 09:57 - Feb 13 with 1806 viewsRadlett_blue

No more Broadside??? on 09:44 - Feb 13 by hatch

We emailed them to sponsor our SW London cricket team a couple of years ago and they sent us abut 10 cases of ghost ship cans. A slightly less worthwhile cause but still...!

I worry they over diversified into too many different products, need to focus back in on their core market and stop selling Adnams Limoncello.

Hmm..Adnams have been trapped in the tied house model & pubs in Britain have been in steady decline for umpteen years. Their main selling point has been the quality & variety of their ales & the young aren't that attracted to real ale. Selling ale to other pubs has become harder, partly for this reason & because the young are happy to drink "keg ales", which are also easier to keep. It made sense for Adnams to diversify their product range, but sadly I think they're on the slippery slope downwards & I reckon the company will be sold within the next year or so.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

No more Broadside??? on 10:00 - Feb 13 with 1788 viewsDanTheMan

No more Broadside??? on 09:57 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Hmm..Adnams have been trapped in the tied house model & pubs in Britain have been in steady decline for umpteen years. Their main selling point has been the quality & variety of their ales & the young aren't that attracted to real ale. Selling ale to other pubs has become harder, partly for this reason & because the young are happy to drink "keg ales", which are also easier to keep. It made sense for Adnams to diversify their product range, but sadly I think they're on the slippery slope downwards & I reckon the company will be sold within the next year or so.

"the young aren't that attracted to real ale."

This is the complete opposite of my experience, there are way more younger people drinking ales now than there used to be. If anything I'd have thought the sheer amount of competition would be hurting Adnams more than a lack of people.

Although drinking itself is on a bit of a decline, which is probably a good thing for the health of the nation.

No more Broadside??? on 10:51 - Feb 13 with 1709 viewsRadlett_blue

No more Broadside??? on 10:00 - Feb 13 by DanTheMan

"the young aren't that attracted to real ale."

This is the complete opposite of my experience, there are way more younger people drinking ales now than there used to be. If anything I'd have thought the sheer amount of competition would be hurting Adnams more than a lack of people.

Although drinking itself is on a bit of a decline, which is probably a good thing for the health of the nation.

My experience is that when the young drink "ale", it's one of the modern, pressurised barrels rather than genuine, cask conditioned ale. It also seems that the young are drinking less than previous generations, or certainly going to the pub less frequently.

No more Broadside??? on 10:54 - Feb 13 with 1684 viewsDanTheMan

No more Broadside??? on 10:51 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

My experience is that when the young drink "ale", it's one of the modern, pressurised barrels rather than genuine, cask conditioned ale. It also seems that the young are drinking less than previous generations, or certainly going to the pub less frequently.

Agree with the second part, I think it's fairly widely known that drinking is going down.

Maybe it's just my anecdotal experience but ales seem more popular now among the younger generation than they did when I first started drinking around 2010. It used to be lager or rubbish ales available unless you went out of your way. Much more variety these days and lots of smaller local brewers. Blue Monkey is particularly popular around my way.

No more Broadside??? on 11:08 - Feb 13 with 1651 viewsRadlett_blue

No more Broadside??? on 10:54 - Feb 13 by DanTheMan

Agree with the second part, I think it's fairly widely known that drinking is going down.

Maybe it's just my anecdotal experience but ales seem more popular now among the younger generation than they did when I first started drinking around 2010. It used to be lager or rubbish ales available unless you went out of your way. Much more variety these days and lots of smaller local brewers. Blue Monkey is particularly popular around my way.

Yeah, there's been a boom in microbreweries in the UK, and also in the US, probably in reaction to the tasteless guff brewed by Budweiser, Coors & Miller.
As far as ale is concerend, beers like Beavertown Neck Oil, Brixton Reliance & Goose Island are doing really well & all the growth is in "kegged ale" as younger people like its colder temperature, fizz and lighter taste.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024