Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfenden 14:40 - Feb 10 with 3051 viewsWoolfenthen

Very poor for me today, over casual and sloppy in possession and the defending for the first goal shocking. Slows the game down to much for me
Woolfenden on 22:02 - Feb 10 with 557 viewsBarcaBlue

Woolfenden on 21:25 - Feb 10 by pointofblue

My annoyance is he made a similar mistake against Swansea. And then he almost repeated the trick today later in the first half. He does have an issue knowing how to defend against players running at him. He's had a good season overall but...

You get seriously annoyed that one defender has made 2 punished mistakes all season? Can't believe what people are saying here. He didn't even have a bad overall performance today and I don't remember a match where he has been consistently poor for the last 2 seasons (or more).

He's not too casual, he doesn't slow the game down. He's a top top Championship defender and we should be celebrating an academy success rather than calling for him to be dropped cos we have a replacement who once played for Man Utd.
Woolfenden on 22:46 - Feb 10 with 519 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Woolfenden on 21:35 - Feb 10 by ITFCSG

Whatever spin you put on it - ONE win in the last NINE games is very poor, it is in fact relegation form. We just threw away a 10 point gap to 3rd. Play-offs as we know are a lottery and we have a very poor record at it. Of course people are getting worried and the performance of some of the players, has been dross. Too many of the team (especially the regular starters) are putting in 5/10 performances week in week out since the scum game. Woolfenden being one of them needs a kick up his backside.

We should be looking to continuously improve in the league instead of being satisfied with what we have achieved so far. Promotion is never too early. We may have just come from League One, but I am not looking forward to another decade of stagnation in the Championship a la Birmingham, Blackburn, PNE etc.

What a load of nonsense.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Woolfenden on 22:49 - Feb 10 with 518 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

He was weak for the first goal and made a couple of clangers, but "very poor" is a massive exaggeration.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Woolfenden on 23:00 - Feb 10 with 498 viewsReusersTown

Woolfenden on 15:48 - Feb 10 by bluejacko

That’s where most of our problems stem from,not saying just lump it but we are so slow getting it out from the back.

Most of our problems? What problems? Statistically we've just dominated the team in 5th!
Woolfenden on 23:01 - Feb 10 with 499 viewstractorshark

Woolfenden was poor today, massively at fault for the first goal although Clarke going for the ball in midfield and then changing his mind left him one on one. That said, he should have challenged the guy early and should never have been outmuscled.

One thing regards his slow build-up play. People moan about this but you do realise it’s largely intentional to draw the press? Sometimes it’s on the edge of the box, sometimes it’s close to the halfway line. It’s just a way of drawing the opposition to create that space between the lines.

We’ve been doing this for some time now, it still puzzles me that people don’t understand it. Burgess does it as well.

I think Woolfy gets more criticism because he looks laid back but he was one of the standout performers in the first half of the season.

And while I think Tuanzebe is a good player, I don’t think he’s quite the flawless defender that some on here make him out to be. Although I think he’ll start Wednesday.
Woolfenden on 23:25 - Feb 10 with 460 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 22:02 - Feb 10 by BarcaBlue

You get seriously annoyed that one defender has made 2 punished mistakes all season? Can't believe what people are saying here. He didn't even have a bad overall performance today and I don't remember a match where he has been consistently poor for the last 2 seasons (or more).

He's not too casual, he doesn't slow the game down. He's a top top Championship defender and we should be celebrating an academy success rather than calling for him to be dropped cos we have a replacement who once played for Man Utd.

It's not two punished mistakes that's the issue for me - it's the same problem. Seemingly being caught in two minds, and defending ineffectively compared to his usual standard, when someone is running at him. He's bigger than Fellows; he shouldn't have been outfought for the goal today.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Woolfenden on 00:13 - Feb 11 with 412 viewsSamWhiteUK

I've just finished watching the game back with the calmness of someone who already knows the outcome. This anti-Woolf narrative is pathetic. Should he have done better with the goal? Maybe, but Clarke didn't help him out. Otherwise, I counted once he gave the ball away. I swear people just pull a name out of a hat to scapegoat each week.
Woolfenden on 00:19 - Feb 11 with 403 viewsChurchman

Woolfenden on 21:35 - Feb 10 by ITFCSG

Whatever spin you put on it - ONE win in the last NINE games is very poor, it is in fact relegation form. We just threw away a 10 point gap to 3rd. Play-offs as we know are a lottery and we have a very poor record at it. Of course people are getting worried and the performance of some of the players, has been dross. Too many of the team (especially the regular starters) are putting in 5/10 performances week in week out since the scum game. Woolfenden being one of them needs a kick up his backside.

We should be looking to continuously improve in the league instead of being satisfied with what we have achieved so far. Promotion is never too early. We may have just come from League One, but I am not looking forward to another decade of stagnation in the Championship a la Birmingham, Blackburn, PNE etc.

Well, everyone is entitled to a view and you’ll get plenty of support from the dismals and FM2024 cadre. Your first sentence has some merit, but conveniently forgets who we have played, how form of players inevitably varies throughout a long season and the loss of key players, none more than Hirst.

The rest of it, I disagree with just about every word. Woolfenden does not need ‘a kick up his backside’. He needs encouraging. He’s had a tremendous season and is a good player who is still improving. Was he at fault for the goal? Yes. He made a poor decision and the player kind of got underneath him. It happens and the lad that scored is clearly a good player. Nobody else with that goal covered themselves in glory either. As Joe points out, part of it is the way we play. It can leave players exposed at times.

I guess for some, Woolfenden is this weeks target. On that, the level of depression by some on here mystifies me. Every player was deservedly applauded off at the end of the game today. They left everything out there. The game was exciting. Are 29k people and Mick Mills wrong? Personally, I’ve seen more from this team this season to enjoy than all the Evans era put together.

We are not perfect. There’s lots to do and there is no evidence whatsoever of stagnation being the aim. Sometimes patience pays off. We have no divine right but we will start winning again and hopefully soon. Sometimes it pays to enjoy what you are witnessing. It’s what sport is all about for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024