Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Modern football jargon and ITFC template 09:04 - Feb 1 with 588 viewsnodge_blue

I was listening to Jack Ward football podcast. Oxford fan who does reasonably interesting league 1 stuff. He was talking about Oxfords inverted wingers and then on a graphic dragging in the winger more to the middle.

And Im thinking that's just a player tucked in - in old terms.

Then he talks about the full back playing high and very wide in his place. That's nothing to do with jargon, but Im thinking that's Lief Davis role. And Greg Leigh plays there for Oxford. I bet we were a template for Oxford to try and play our style. They even bought our back up full back to do it knowing that he would know the role inside out.

There's been a few league one managers reference us. Even the new Lincoln manager in a long interview made it clear he reference Kieron in his club interview. And then he's all jargon about pushing the game which underneath it all meant pressing the opposition and a forward pass.

Non of this I mind really. But it does feel like there's been a new set of jargon introduced in recent years but Im not sure if it's all modern ideas or a rehash of old ones.

I cant help thinking of Bob Paisley on a FA football course hearing a talk about crosses to the area of maximum opportunity, for him to say "do you mean the back post".
[Post edited 1 Feb 9:05]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Modern football jargon and ITFC template on 10:13 - Feb 1 with 457 viewsBlueBadger

A lot of football hipster terms are both needlessly vague and a bit pretentious.

See also - 'technical football', which basically means 'this team don't just lump it'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Modern football jargon and ITFC template on 10:50 - Feb 1 with 401 viewsitfcjoe

Inverted wing back is just a half back...

KM was referenced by Mark Bonner on NTT20 this week too, think he's the first manager in the lower leagues that hasn't played a formation as such - we aren't 4 at the back, or 3 at the back, but it all adjusts in game to the specific scenarios.

It's what the very top coaches are doing, and in L1 was impossible to deal with

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Modern football jargon and ITFC template on 11:00 - Feb 1 with 362 viewsnodge_blue

Modern football jargon and ITFC template on 10:50 - Feb 1 by itfcjoe

Inverted wing back is just a half back...

KM was referenced by Mark Bonner on NTT20 this week too, think he's the first manager in the lower leagues that hasn't played a formation as such - we aren't 4 at the back, or 3 at the back, but it all adjusts in game to the specific scenarios.

It's what the very top coaches are doing, and in L1 was impossible to deal with

I will have to try and find that.

I think there has always been a shifting formation where players drop into positions to cover say a full back pushing forward etc, but I agree that we certainly did seem to push that boundary of fluidity. Which like you said at league one level made us so unplayable. And even in the championship we have had many games where we have looked so fluid. I think we have struggled more with better presses at this level but overall you have to say KM has introduced an intelligence to this team that is beyond anything we could have wished for.

Compare that to Lambert who just said we are passing out from the back. Had two centre halves to drop deep but then no one to pass to and very easily pressed out of possession. To the extent Mick Mills would say we just have to go long. You don't hear him saying that now.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024