Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker 08:37 - Feb 1 with 1841 viewsBlooos

We needed another in the summer, didn’t happen, needed one even more than ever when Hirst got injured, I’m still stunned we didn’t have anything lined up the first week of Jan.. Let’s see what today brings and I think id take anyone at this point.
Striker on 08:39 - Feb 1 with 1811 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Because it's impossible to "line up" a quality striker at the right price in the first week of Jan?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Striker on 08:43 - Feb 1 with 1752 viewsberkstractorboy

Reading between the lines of a KMC interview with Stuart Watson I think there was interest in a striker that then got injured in Dec, so maybe plans for an early window deal were scuppered.
Striker on 08:45 - Feb 1 with 1717 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, we didn't just need a striker. We needed a really good striker with a particular skill-set (e.g. not one who stands in the goal-mouth twiddling his thumbs, waiting to head it - however many he might score per season). That's a much taller order, especially given the best targets were working for someone else.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Striker on 08:49 - Feb 1 with 1687 viewshomer_123

Doing business in the first week of the transfer window is easy.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Striker on 08:52 - Feb 1 with 1654 viewshomer_123

Striker on 08:39 - Feb 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Because it's impossible to "line up" a quality striker at the right price in the first week of Jan?

Whilst not impossible, it certainly isn't easy.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Striker on 09:11 - Feb 1 with 1583 viewsBlooos

But we’ve needed one for 6 months. The end of the summer window we were feeling flat, they have known a striker is needed this whole time, surely they would’ve known the financials leading up to this? As has been mentioned a number of time McKenna is ‘very particular’ over who he wants, but one injury to Ali and we’re left with Kayden Jackson as our only striker for a promotion push.. Some fans need to stop with the soft approach and see that if we don’t have another striker in the next 14 hours then it’s a massive c*ck-up.
Striker on 09:18 - Feb 1 with 1547 viewsParky

I don’t purposely want to be negative because we’re clearly exceeding expectation and doing very well, but I can’t help but feel that we haven’t used being 2nd in the Championship to our advantage this window.

As you’ve rightly said, we’ve needed a striker since the summer and clearly failed to get someone adequate to back up Hirst, hence the punt on Scarlett. We’re now left scrambling for Kieffer Moore and that all depends on if they sign a striker from Spain.

I know people will disagree, and I fully understand that we have FFP constraints, but if we don’t go up this season and our loan players all return, our squad looks pretty average, in my opinion and then I expect McKenna will be gone.
Striker on 09:54 - Feb 1 with 1473 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Striker on 09:11 - Feb 1 by Blooos

But we’ve needed one for 6 months. The end of the summer window we were feeling flat, they have known a striker is needed this whole time, surely they would’ve known the financials leading up to this? As has been mentioned a number of time McKenna is ‘very particular’ over who he wants, but one injury to Ali and we’re left with Kayden Jackson as our only striker for a promotion push.. Some fans need to stop with the soft approach and see that if we don’t have another striker in the next 14 hours then it’s a massive c*ck-up.

6 months or 6 minutes doesn't make a lot of difference, the specific player we're after (and within FFP) is very hard to do at the best of times, never mind having them lined up and ready to go in the first week of Jan. This isn't a computer game.

Login to get fewer ads

Striker on 09:54 - Feb 1 with 1469 viewsHerbivore

Striker on 09:18 - Feb 1 by Parky

I don’t purposely want to be negative because we’re clearly exceeding expectation and doing very well, but I can’t help but feel that we haven’t used being 2nd in the Championship to our advantage this window.

As you’ve rightly said, we’ve needed a striker since the summer and clearly failed to get someone adequate to back up Hirst, hence the punt on Scarlett. We’re now left scrambling for Kieffer Moore and that all depends on if they sign a striker from Spain.

I know people will disagree, and I fully understand that we have FFP constraints, but if we don’t go up this season and our loan players all return, our squad looks pretty average, in my opinion and then I expect McKenna will be gone.

None of our loan players are regular starters so not sure how you reach the conclusion we look an average squad when they go back. And what's to say we wouldn't be able to bring in a similar calibre of loan player next season? You say you don't purposely want to be negative but then proceed to be purposely negative.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Striker on 10:11 - Feb 1 with 1452 viewsblueasfook

Striker on 09:54 - Feb 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

6 months or 6 minutes doesn't make a lot of difference, the specific player we're after (and within FFP) is very hard to do at the best of times, never mind having them lined up and ready to go in the first week of Jan. This isn't a computer game.

Happy clappers gonna happy clap. It's OK you know to admit the club may have been a bit short-sighted here.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Striker on 10:18 - Feb 1 with 1415 viewsBiGDonnie

Erm, we needed a striker in the summer?

Yup, we signed Hirst who has led us to second in the table.

Next...

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Striker on 10:31 - Feb 1 with 1366 viewsBlooos

Striker on 10:18 - Feb 1 by BiGDonnie

Erm, we needed a striker in the summer?

Yup, we signed Hirst who has led us to second in the table.

Next...

You are aware of what’s happened the last 5-6 weeks right? Hirst got injured and we’ve won 1 game since 12th December because we don’t have a replacement anywhere near as good as him, we’ve sent Ladapo packing leaving us with just Kayden Jackson, so quite clear another striker was required before this jan window!
Striker on 10:49 - Feb 1 with 1345 viewsHerbivore

Striker on 10:31 - Feb 1 by Blooos

You are aware of what’s happened the last 5-6 weeks right? Hirst got injured and we’ve won 1 game since 12th December because we don’t have a replacement anywhere near as good as him, we’ve sent Ladapo packing leaving us with just Kayden Jackson, so quite clear another striker was required before this jan window!

Hirst got injured on boxing day so you're being a bit disingenuous including games he played in as evidence we're struggling without him. Since his injury we've won once and drawn three in the league. One of the draws was at Leicester, so actually a very good result, and the draws against Stoke and QPR were games where we were also missing other key players through injury and illness. Ideally we want another striker alongside Al-Hamadi and it looks like there's a good chance that will happen today. Hopefully you'll have a dry night tonight.

Striker on 10:56 - Feb 1 with 1319 viewsBlooos

Striker on 10:49 - Feb 1 by Herbivore

Hirst got injured on boxing day so you're being a bit disingenuous including games he played in as evidence we're struggling without him. Since his injury we've won once and drawn three in the league. One of the draws was at Leicester, so actually a very good result, and the draws against Stoke and QPR were games where we were also missing other key players through injury and illness. Ideally we want another striker alongside Al-Hamadi and it looks like there's a good chance that will happen today. Hopefully you'll have a dry night tonight.

Mentioning we’ve won one game since 12th Dec is the point of we have no one to come on as well as or replace Hirst when he’s absolutely shot to bits. We were obviously going to have a dip as there’s no way we’d be able to keep the form we were on going, but being left with Jackson and Ladapo was always going to cause a further dip. Whatever way you want to look at it we were 10 points ahead of 3rd 6 weeks ago now it’s 1, funny the gap has been closed since Hirst has been out with no adequate striking options to come in isn’t it?
Striker on 11:13 - Feb 1 with 1277 viewsitfcbam

Striker on 09:11 - Feb 1 by Blooos

So you want to see us risk ffp etc and get possible points deductions? we are pretty close to threshold already, we can't compare to the 3 round us as they have parachute money. KM and MA have done a phenomenal job within the constraints given, remember we haven't lost any 1st team players for a good 2 years now, we have only added. We have gone from mid league 1 to top 2 contenders of champ in 18 months, that is nothing to be sniffed at
Striker on 11:20 - Feb 1 with 1243 viewsHerbivore

Striker on 10:56 - Feb 1 by Blooos

Mentioning we’ve won one game since 12th Dec is the point of we have no one to come on as well as or replace Hirst when he’s absolutely shot to bits. We were obviously going to have a dip as there’s no way we’d be able to keep the form we were on going, but being left with Jackson and Ladapo was always going to cause a further dip. Whatever way you want to look at it we were 10 points ahead of 3rd 6 weeks ago now it’s 1, funny the gap has been closed since Hirst has been out with no adequate striking options to come in isn’t it?

Our striking options from the 12th to 26th of December were exactly the same as they were when we built up a healthy lead over third place so not sure using that period as evidence of a failure really stacks up. Our lead being reduced is down to a range of factors, injuries (not just to Hirst either) have contributed but I think it's also probably down to having a local derby, two games against Leicester and a game away at Leeds all within a six or seven game block. Southampton and Leeds have both experienced far kinder runs of fixtures over the same period.
[Post edited 1 Feb 11:23]

Striker on 11:22 - Feb 1 with 1232 viewsBiGDonnie

Didn't mean to downvote this.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Striker on 11:22 - Feb 1 with 1230 viewsBlooos

Striker on 11:13 - Feb 1 by itfcbam

So you want to see us risk ffp etc and get possible points deductions? we are pretty close to threshold already, we can't compare to the 3 round us as they have parachute money. KM and MA have done a phenomenal job within the constraints given, remember we haven't lost any 1st team players for a good 2 years now, we have only added. We have gone from mid league 1 to top 2 contenders of champ in 18 months, that is nothing to be sniffed at

The talk of FFP is pretty irrelevant at this stage as we’ve supposedly had £2m rejected for Sam Gallagher. We clearly have that to spend this whole time. I’m not knocking what MA and KM have done at all and seems as though half the people on here can’t take any criticism towards this window, if we get big Kief in then it’s a solid window, if we don’t then it’s clearly not gone as planned.
Striker on 12:16 - Feb 1 with 1167 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Striker on 10:11 - Feb 1 by blueasfook

Happy clappers gonna happy clap. It's OK you know to admit the club may have been a bit short-sighted here.

And thickos gonna, erm, thick.

I'd love to know where the club have been short-sighted.

Striker on 14:42 - Feb 1 with 1064 viewsWhos_blue

Things are looking a little more positive on the signing front as I type, but I generally fear for the mental health of friends here.
I find it incredible how all consuming this chase for a striker has become for some, especially the insinuation KM and MA will have somehow failed us if we don't get the players.
Has anyone considered even for a moment how difficult getting the right deal done is?
MA has backed KM at every single turn. If we can't get deals over the line, so be it. It won't be for the want of trying.
We're on the crest of a wave and I don't understand why some of us aren't enjoying the ride more.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Striker on 15:43 - Feb 1 with 1020 viewsblueasfook

Striker on 12:16 - Feb 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

And thickos gonna, erm, thick.

I'd love to know where the club have been short-sighted.

Having one decent striker in Hirst maybe? Freddie Ladapo and Kayden Jackson are not championship quality - as has been proven. It's a big ask to have one key man up front and hope he stays fit all season. I realise we are constrained by FFP rules but goals are bread and butter in any league so perhaps the area in which you want to ensure you have quality cover.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Striker on 16:42 - Feb 1 with 957 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Striker on 15:43 - Feb 1 by blueasfook

Having one decent striker in Hirst maybe? Freddie Ladapo and Kayden Jackson are not championship quality - as has been proven. It's a big ask to have one key man up front and hope he stays fit all season. I realise we are constrained by FFP rules but goals are bread and butter in any league so perhaps the area in which you want to ensure you have quality cover.

They haven't thought that though have they? They've tried to get another striker in the summer but it didn't happen for various reasons (thank god we didn't overpay on Simms).

I'm not sured it's been "proved" that Jackson isn't Championship quality. I think he's done a decent job there. Ladapo might have stepped up, but unfortunately hasn't. These things happen.

But there hasn't been anything short-sighted. We've just struggled to get what we want at a price that doesn't bust FFP. We also didn't expect to be second at this stage (which helps in attracting players, compared to just being a team that's come up from League 1).

If being realistic makes me a happy clapper then I'll delightedly applaud what the club's done so far under this new regime.

Striker on 18:10 - Feb 1 with 886 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Striker on 15:43 - Feb 1 by blueasfook

“goals are bread and butter in any league so perhaps the area in which you want to ensure you have quality cover.”

In fairness, we have plenty of goalscorers in the team, Chaplin and Broadhead are our top scorers and they aren’t no.9’s. In fact Hirst has only scored 6, which is fine as he’s also notched 6 assists.

The point being it’s not his goals we are missing necessarily (a you suggest) but his all round contribution to the way we play. As such it’s been more difficult to source a striker who KM thinks can do the job.
Striker on 18:22 - Feb 1 with 846 viewsMK1

Striker on 09:18 - Feb 1 by Parky

Brighton have already said that we can have Sarmiento all of next season, so not all bad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024