Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The ball is now in the court of the EFL 13:08 - Jan 23 with 3574 viewsGlasgowBlue

Similar punishment for Wednesday I would hope.
[Post edited 23 Jan 13:09]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:11 - Jan 23 with 3478 viewsRRB

Would disagree - there was a far greater number of Udinese fans racially abusing Maignan rather than one Sheffield Wednesday fan.

Hopefully the individual "fan" gets punished but the whole stadium shouldn't be punished due to one of their so called "fan" actions
[Post edited 23 Jan 13:12]
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:14 - Jan 23 with 3416 viewstextbackup

Be sht if 1 single Town fan did something and we all got punished.

In Italy there was an entire section at it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:19 - Jan 23 with 3323 viewsyorkshireblue

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:11 - Jan 23 by RRB

Would disagree - there was a far greater number of Udinese fans racially abusing Maignan rather than one Sheffield Wednesday fan.

Hopefully the individual "fan" gets punished but the whole stadium shouldn't be punished due to one of their so called "fan" actions

If it was a one-off I would agree but in the last 12 months Wednesday "fans" have
- Racially abused their chairman
- Racially abused their (now former) Manager
- Mocked a child who died of cancer
-Mulitple instances of throwing items at opposition fans, and officals
- Made monkey gestures at a player.

I'm starting to think the message isn't getting through and collective action is required.
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:19 - Jan 23 with 3309 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:14 - Jan 23 by textbackup

Be sht if 1 single Town fan did something and we all got punished.

In Italy there was an entire section at it

Wednesday are repeat offenders, they attacked our fans leaving the ground earlier this season, mocked a dead child and now they’re racially abusing players. Obviously banning the fans in question is the first step, the second is if they keep offending is to increase the punishment in a meaningful way.

Having said that some of our fans over the weekend didn’t cover themselves in glory on social media mocking those with special needs either, to the point a mother of a autistic son had to step in and say enough is enough before being berated as a “snowflake”.
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:43 - Jan 23 with 2994 viewsDJR

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:11 - Jan 23 by RRB

The counter-argument to that is that one is too many, and action like that would set a precedent and might help to stamp it out everywhere. So I would happily accept much more severe sanctions (including points deductions), even where only one individual is involved. But this is probably a step too far for the authorities and the clubs, given the financial implications.
[Post edited 23 Jan 13:46]
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:58 - Jan 23 with 2855 viewsbluelagos

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:43 - Jan 23 by DJR

The counter-argument to that is that one is too many, and action like that would set a precedent and might help to stamp it out everywhere. So I would happily accept much more severe sanctions (including points deductions), even where only one individual is involved. But this is probably a step too far for the authorities and the clubs, given the financial implications.
[Post edited 23 Jan 13:46]

The law of unintended for consequences.

Those advocating a points deduction for a fan racially abusing a player. Scenario, two teams going for a title. Fan of team A gets a ticket for a match involving team B, makes some monkey gestures and hey presto team B gets points deduction

And that's on top of the collective punishment stance that football fans alone attract as a serious proposal. Some scumbag spiked someone's drink at so and so nightclub....never heard people suggest all the club goers should be punished as a deterrant.

The justice system bypassed because the person involved follows a football team

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 14:00 - Jan 23 with 2824 viewsbluelagos

The police are investigating the racist abuse at S.W.F.C.

Why the need for additional punishments of people uninvolved in the incident?

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 14:14 - Jan 23 with 2696 viewsMattinLondon

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:58 - Jan 23 by bluelagos

Those advocating a points deduction for a fan racially abusing a player. Scenario, two teams going for a title. Fan of team A gets a ticket for a match involving team B, makes some monkey gestures and hey presto team B gets points deduction

And that's on top of the collective punishment stance that football fans alone attract as a serious proposal. Some scumbag spiked someone's drink at so and so nightclub....never heard people suggest all the club goers should be punished as a deterrant.

I tend to agree. Their average gate is 26k and with that many people in attendance there is always going to be a good chance that one idiot won’t care about their actions.

Wednesday didn’t mock the sad case of a kid dying - it was one idiot who I think was banned. Anyone who racially abuses a player should be banned for at least ten years from all football. If the club is unwilling to do that then the FA / police should takeover and impose the ban.
Login to get fewer ads

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 15:32 - Jan 23 with 2303 viewsSitfcB

It’s Sheffield Wednesday v Coventry again on Friday night!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 15:43 - Jan 23 with 2194 viewsyorkshireblue

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 15:32 - Jan 23 by SitfcB

It’s Sheffield Wednesday v Coventry again on Friday night!

THey also played on Boxing Day, so three games in quick succession.

Will be interesting to see what reaction Palmer gets. Some of their fans (and a host of a certain podcast) have said he "wasn't the innocent party" and "deserved if for goading the fans"....
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 15:45 - Jan 23 with 2145 viewsbluelagos

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 14:14 - Jan 23 by MattinLondon

I tend to agree. Their average gate is 26k and with that many people in attendance there is always going to be a good chance that one idiot won’t care about their actions.

Wednesday didn’t mock the sad case of a kid dying - it was one idiot who I think was banned. Anyone who racially abuses a player should be banned for at least ten years from all football. If the club is unwilling to do that then the FA / police should takeover and impose the ban.

Existing laws make a 4 year banning order the max possible (From the courts) but any club can choose to longer bans if they see fit. They can do that irrespective of the legalities - much like a publican can choose who he chooses to serve.

Would think racially abusing a player is absolutely the sort of thing that any decent club will choose to impose a life ban.

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 15:59 - Jan 23 with 2036 viewsMattinLondon

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 15:45 - Jan 23 by bluelagos

Existing laws make a 4 year banning order the max possible (From the courts) but any club can choose to longer bans if they see fit. They can do that irrespective of the legalities - much like a publican can choose who he chooses to serve.

Would think racially abusing a player is absolutely the sort of thing that any decent club will choose to impose a life ban.

I’m not sure about a life ban straight away. I have read articles regarding some who engaged in that kind of behaviour but then completely reformed.
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 17:47 - Jan 23 with 1723 viewsBlueBadger

Brace yourselves lads, any day now the EFL will do absolutely nothing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 18:06 - Jan 23 with 1644 viewsNutkins_Return

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 17:47 - Jan 23 by BlueBadger

Brace yourselves lads, any day now the EFL will do absolutely nothing.

As the OP said Ball is now in court and I've no reason to doubt Dom Ball sorting this out. Have a bit of faith in the lad.
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 18:08 - Jan 23 with 1629 viewsDJR

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 13:58 - Jan 23 by bluelagos

In the scenario suggested, I don't think it would be evidentially difficult to prove what team a person supported. And if it couldn't be proved which team a player supported, there would be no sanction.

But as I indicated, it ain't going to happen, although it seems to me that for too long things like this have been tolerated. Perhaps you can recall the poster who contacted the number in the programme to report racial abuse, only to find nobody was interested.
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 18:21 - Jan 23 with 1533 viewsbluelagos

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 18:08 - Jan 23 by DJR

In the scenario suggested, I don't think it would be evidentially difficult to prove what team a person supported. And if it couldn't be proved which team a player supported, there would be no sanction.

But as I indicated, it ain't going to happen, although it seems to me that for too long things like this have been tolerated. Perhaps you can recall the poster who contacted the number in the programme to report racial abuse, only to find nobody was interested.

I don't recall that, (not doubting it happened)

Have asked a few times but no one has been able to reply. Is there any other walk of life where people propose punishing completely innocent people because of the behaviour of an incredibly small minority with a similar interest?

I genuinely don't understand why football fans have to deal with this. Knee jerk reactions are rarely well thought out or sensible. I share the disgust at racism, but it's almost as if we feel we have to suggest xyz to show that disgust. Well we don't, we could just, you know, let the legal system do it's thing.

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 23:52 - Jan 23 with 1075 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 15:59 - Jan 23 by MattinLondon

I’m not sure about a life ban straight away. I have read articles regarding some who engaged in that kind of behaviour but then completely reformed.

Then they can write to the club concerned and explain how and why they are reformed. Maybe write to the player concerned and apologise and explain how they have turned their life around and ask them if they would support a request for the lifetime ban to be rescinded.

I am all for the threat of a lifetime ban being there as a deterrent, but also all for it being rescinded if someone can demonstrate a clear change of character.
The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 07:48 - Jan 24 with 816 viewsSwansea_Blue

The ball is now in the court of the EFL on 18:06 - Jan 23 by Nutkins_Return

As the OP said Ball is now in court and I've no reason to doubt Dom Ball sorting this out. Have a bit of faith in the lad.

Knowing the EFL, there’ll now be two balls in court and there’ll be a delay while we wait for the ballboys to get rid of one of them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024