Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Takeaways from Leicester 02:12 - Jan 23 with 1789 viewsWestcountryblue

Firstly, Sarmiento, Hutchinson, Taylor and Broadhead were all exceptional off the bench. With a somewhat easier set of fixtures over the next 2 months (only 1 top 8 side to play), we really need to consider starting Sarmiento and Hutchinson, as i think they are considerably better than what is in front of them currently. Both are future multi-million pound Premiership stars and players that can really help us stretch teams where we will be starting on the front foot. Might not be popular, but Hutchinson is a superior player to Burns in pretty much most departments. Must play !

Defense was exceptional. Clarke has shown a real upturn in form over the past month and managed Mavididi superbly, as he did the previous fixture with Clarke. Edmondson and Woolfenden assured as ever and distributed well from the back. Hladky looked the far superior keeper on the pitch.

Travis wasn't fantastic. Struggled to play the pivot role that Morsy plays, looked sluggish and lacked the vision that our other central players have. Again, it might be unpopular, but Morsy, Luongo and arguable Taylor are lightyears ahead of him. He is adequate back up for Morsy, which is enough for what we need going forward.

All eyes on Ashton et al now. 'If' we can bring in 2 strikers and potentially another full back (if Williams departs), we'll have an exceptionally strong squad heading into what looks like a favourable next 2 months of fixtures. I fancy our chances now. Incredible achievement to come through such a tough set of fixtures and still be in second.

[Post edited 23 Jan 8:31]
Takeaways from Leicester on 06:23 - Jan 23 with 1523 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Burns has been superb recently. And Travis has come in to a new team and played two games - home to Sunderland and away to Leicester, having to stand in for our overall MVP. And we have got 4 points from those two games. I applaud them all.
It's tougher to start a match, playing against fresh players. The impact when we bring on Jezza and Hutch is in part because they are up against tired legs, and last night the momentum had already swung in our favour. I really hope we can sign Hutch on a perm, he is a fantastic player. I don't think there's any chance we can sign Jezza on a perm deal. But just enjoy that it's a squad game and the players who started did a great job, before the cavalry came on.

Poll: would you rather

Takeaways from Leicester on 06:32 - Jan 23 with 1485 viewstractorboy1978

Hutchinson looks so much more effective as a 10 to me. Not that I dislike him wide right but he's looked exceptional in that Chaplin role and really changed the game more than once.

I quite like the control that our usual starting line up brings for 60 minutes. But, along with Sarmiento, I can see them doing a lot of damage to teams in the last half an hour of games.
Takeaways from Leicester on 06:37 - Jan 23 with 1459 viewsPioneerBlue

I agree with basically everything in the OP except overly focusing on a favourable period of games to come.

I know how it looks on paper and it appears favourable to a team competing in the automatics. However nothing is favourable at this level, reality isn’t like, easy game win, hard game lose!

Now in second half of season teams have different things to play for, most are looking for a point anyway they can get it. A few will be genuinely looking to win at this stage against a top 2 or 3 team with a chance at playoffs. Many will not be as open as earlier in season and most will make it difficult is my expectation.

These games also come Sat Tue Sat Tues.

Cautiously optimistic is my outlook and one game at a time.

Coyb.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Takeaways from Leicester on 06:40 - Jan 23 with 1441 viewsWestcountryblue

Takeaways from Leicester on 06:23 - Jan 23 by LegendofthePhoenix

Burns has been superb recently. And Travis has come in to a new team and played two games - home to Sunderland and away to Leicester, having to stand in for our overall MVP. And we have got 4 points from those two games. I applaud them all.
It's tougher to start a match, playing against fresh players. The impact when we bring on Jezza and Hutch is in part because they are up against tired legs, and last night the momentum had already swung in our favour. I really hope we can sign Hutch on a perm, he is a fantastic player. I don't think there's any chance we can sign Jezza on a perm deal. But just enjoy that it's a squad game and the players who started did a great job, before the cavalry came on.

I don't disagree, they are super effective off the bench. However, that's not to say with a run of games, they wouldn't eventually have the same impact over 60-70 minutes. For example, Dos Santos was a gamechanger, but someone so good that you simply have to start him. I feel that the same applies to Sarmiento and Hutchinson. Ooze quality and a considerable step up on what's ahead of them in the squad.
Takeaways from Leicester on 06:42 - Jan 23 with 1428 viewscordonblue

Such a hard role for Travis to come in and play straight away. A really good signing and an able deputy for Morsy but possibly requiring slight adaptations to the way we build from the back when he comes in.

He seems to be purposefully less involved in the playing out from the back, potentially an instruction until he gets up to speed and builds connections? But also partly because he doesn't have the ability to take the ball comfortably and turn on a sixpence like morsy does?
Takeaways from Leicester on 07:08 - Jan 23 with 1276 viewsPioneerBlue

Takeaways from Leicester on 06:42 - Jan 23 by cordonblue

Such a hard role for Travis to come in and play straight away. A really good signing and an able deputy for Morsy but possibly requiring slight adaptations to the way we build from the back when he comes in.

He seems to be purposefully less involved in the playing out from the back, potentially an instruction until he gets up to speed and builds connections? But also partly because he doesn't have the ability to take the ball comfortably and turn on a sixpence like morsy does?

Agreed. Morsy has been on his own journey in this regard too so it’s a lot to ask of a player thrown in and finding their feet in the squad. Interesting how much game time he now gets. Given Morsy and his booking count he may be subject to another ban at a key time, it’s no good Travis sitting out for weeks then being rolled in again a bit like Ball.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Takeaways from Leicester on 07:23 - Jan 23 with 1203 viewshomer_123

Decent but I've always found Brum better for takeaways.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Takeaways from Leicester on 07:35 - Jan 23 with 1102 viewsunstableblue

Burns was easily our best player in the first half and frankly softened them up for the attacking subs. He’s so strong, he’s a must start for me.

Wolfenden was stand out for me. I know a lot of people rightly focussing on Edmundson and Hladky, but the Wolf was imperious.

Sarmiento was down to start, but a late knock, meant moved to sub. He’ll be a starter over Broadhead and Harness.

Travis I agree was really lacking some quality; but, and it’s a big but some of his work rate and clearances (off the line) kept it at 1-0. He was at fault for their goal though. Travis is clearly a very big personality - but he’s clearly going to be on the bench soon. Maybe he’ll be used to shore up games from the bench.

Not sure Taylor is getting the focus and plaudits he deserves - he was the catalyst for me, with more energy and forward looking play.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Takeaways from Leicester on 08:30 - Jan 23 with 906 viewsWestcountryblue

Takeaways from Leicester on 07:35 - Jan 23 by unstableblue

Burns was easily our best player in the first half and frankly softened them up for the attacking subs. He’s so strong, he’s a must start for me.

Wolfenden was stand out for me. I know a lot of people rightly focussing on Edmundson and Hladky, but the Wolf was imperious.

Sarmiento was down to start, but a late knock, meant moved to sub. He’ll be a starter over Broadhead and Harness.

Travis I agree was really lacking some quality; but, and it’s a big but some of his work rate and clearances (off the line) kept it at 1-0. He was at fault for their goal though. Travis is clearly a very big personality - but he’s clearly going to be on the bench soon. Maybe he’ll be used to shore up games from the bench.

Not sure Taylor is getting the focus and plaudits he deserves - he was the catalyst for me, with more energy and forward looking play.

Travis spent a bit too much time on the floor for me.
I think he'll be a really useful player to bring off the bench to close out games, and as you mention, a strong presence in the changing room. Similar to Ball ability-wise, but much more bite.
Takeaways from Leicester on 08:36 - Jan 23 with 866 viewsWestcountryblue

Takeaways from Leicester on 07:35 - Jan 23 by unstableblue

Completely agree regarding Taylor. Really liked how he showed for the ball and got us going forward last night.

Interesting that Sarmiento was down to start. With Morsy and Luongo being such enforcers in the middle of the park, i think he'll really thrive (like Chaplin does) by essentially being able to focus on what he's good at, unlike at West Brom where Corberán required a lot of rigidity from him.
[Post edited 23 Jan 8:37]
Takeaways from Leicester on 08:37 - Jan 23 with 846 viewsReusersTown

Takeaways from Leicester on 06:42 - Jan 23 by cordonblue

I'll start by saying that I like the signing of Travis and he is a good a back up for Morsy as we could reasonably expect. But also feel there is reason that it was only a loan and that is to get us over the hump to the end of the season. I would probably expect more long term planning/signings for Morsy's succession over the summer that doesn't involve Travis
Takeaways from Leicester on 08:41 - Jan 23 with 799 viewsHerbivore

Takeaways from Leicester on 06:32 - Jan 23 by tractorboy1978

Hutchinson looks so much more effective as a 10 to me. Not that I dislike him wide right but he's looked exceptional in that Chaplin role and really changed the game more than once.

I quite like the control that our usual starting line up brings for 60 minutes. But, along with Sarmiento, I can see them doing a lot of damage to teams in the last half an hour of games.

Yeah I agree, I think Hutchinson's most eye catching performances have been as a 10. I think in some games there's a case for starting him there. Chaplin is superb and has been amazing for us but his touch can be a little hit and miss at times whereas Hutchinson has the ball on a string. Against some sides we'll really need that ability to keep possession high up the pitch. I still suspect that more often than not he'll be a game changing bench option and I'm fine with that. Sarmiento is perhaps the more likely to get starts as Broadhead doesn't currently have that inside left slot locked down, he's been a little hit and miss, though did really well last night when he came on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Takeaways from Leicester on 08:49 - Jan 23 with 722 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

My takeaway is that if we play everyone else like we did in that final 35/40 mins we’ll get automatics. Our attacking options are embarrassingly good, Burns and Harness to tire the opposition, Sarmiento and Hutch to come on and finish them off.

We don’t play a team as good as Leicester again (I include Southampton in that), and the Saints have a tough run. Town to get second, and Southampton to beat Leeds in the playoffs - glorious meltdown of Leeds fans, pouring out more salt than the North Atlantic. Maybe I’ll put some money on it….
Takeaways from Leicester on 08:53 - Jan 23 with 691 viewsGavTWTD

Takeaways from Leicester on 08:37 - Jan 23 by ReusersTown

I'll start by saying that I like the signing of Travis and he is a good a back up for Morsy as we could reasonably expect. But also feel there is reason that it was only a loan and that is to get us over the hump to the end of the season. I would probably expect more long term planning/signings for Morsy's succession over the summer that doesn't involve Travis

The loan gives us flexibility for sure. It frees up money for fees which will hopefully happen over the next seven days or so and if we don't go up Travis is suited for the championship if we go again. If we go up MA needs another phone with unlimited minutes. Travis' first 2 games have been really good against strong opposition and more to come.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Takeaways from Leicester on 08:53 - Jan 23 with 687 viewsdirtyboy

Burns was probably one of the best players until he went off, I think people underestimate how good he is at stretching teams and is good defensively too.

Hutchinson coming on with Sarmiento and Broadhead seemed to be a wonderful combination of direct players with great control and capable of those fast intricate balls in tight spaces....a real nightmare to defend, but having your first 60 mins with a team 'capable' of winning and then bringing those three on is such a delight.

I like Chaplin, Burns and Harness (who's never let us down I may add) and Chaplin is the one player who can get a goal from anywhere and again, one to take a lot of attention from the opposition freeing up elsewhere.

We're just so nicely balanced.

Jackson did all he could again.....having a Hirst replacement would be a nice addition though, just for the outlet.

Love what i'm seeing.

Defence were excellent too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024