Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fifty-five years ago today 13:52 - Jan 18 with 654 viewsMiaow

Bobby Robson’s first match in charge of Ipswich Town — a 2–2 draw with Everton at Goodison Park.

Ray Crawford scored twice for us, with one of his two goals allegedly being handled into the net, and Alan Ball hit the post with a questionably awarded Everton penalty kick right at the death. Sounds like the ref didn’t have his best game.

Each of Robson’s first four matches as Town manager saw him come up against a different League championship-winning manager: Harry Catterick (Everton); Matt Busby (Man United); Don Revie (Leeds); and Bertie Mee (Arsenal). His next four games were against Bill McGarry, Joe Mercer, Bill Nicholson and Ron Greenwood.

Crawford scored one more goal for Ipswich, the first in a 2–0 win over Arsenal at Highbury, and his final game for the club — a 1–1 draw at Molineux — came on the 1st of March against a Wolves team managed by a certain McGarry. I knew they were both at Ipswich at around the same time but I hadn’t quite realised that Crawford and Robson’s times at the club had just crossed over as they did.

Are there many on here who remember the game against Everton? And any who were there?

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=matchReport&level=1&year=196

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Fifty-five years ago today on 14:01 - Jan 18 with 611 viewsbaxterbasics

Maybe Phil can check the TWTD archives to see who was calling for Robson Out after the first game?

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Fifty-five years ago today on 14:22 - Jan 18 with 554 viewsFtnfwest

Fifty-five years ago today on 14:01 - Jan 18 by baxterbasics

Maybe Phil can check the TWTD archives to see who was calling for Robson Out after the first game?

old git, or young git as he was then. Bulbeck or Young Bulbeck as was known, and Factual
Fifty-five years ago today on 14:42 - Jan 18 with 523 viewsoldburian

Fifty-five years ago today on 14:01 - Jan 18 by baxterbasics

I must admit I was not impressed by the appointment, it looked Hobsons choice. But I did join the chants at the Man U match, then he went and bought Allan Hunter, Ron Gray pleaded with him, and the rest is history.
Fifty-five years ago today on 14:54 - Jan 18 with 499 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

This club has some continuity doesn't it... Sir Alf managed our Championship winning team, Crawford played under him, and Robson who brought in Burley and Wark, they came runners up twice and won the Texaco, FA and UEFA Cup, Wark then plays in the side that wins the 2nd division and the first three seasons of the Premier League, and finishes his career alongside Naylor, Richard Wright and James Scowcroft who go on to win the Playoffs and qualify for Europe, while being managed by George Burley, Naylor would play in the European campaigns and both Royle Playoff campaigns, long enough for Richard Wright to return to play alongside him again, who himself and plays alongside Daryl Murphy in that period, who fired us to our last Playoff qualification in 2014/15, who also played alongside Massimo Luongo, who was promoted with us in 2023/24...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024