Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume 18:36 - Jan 17 with 2034 viewsWestSussexBlue

Just thinking about the situation re a Striker or Two,
Seeing as we only agreed a short term loan deal for Scarlett, would it be safe to assume we expected a lot more from Ladapo this season?
The way Ashton always looks one step ahead would suggest Hirst and Ladapo were expected to be the main Two with Jacko and Scarlett as the back up and if Scarlett were recalled as he has been we’d be merely bringing in a like for like replacement. Losing Hirst and seeing Freddie clearly unable to step up means we are now on the back foot.
Nobody so far including Stansfield and now Moore really gets me excited.
The Scottish lad or Hardie seem more prolific so are we being forced now to take a punt or spend big? Thoughts..
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 18:47 - Jan 17 with 1972 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Personally i think we've struggled to our targets since the summer. Fred has been on standby to leave should we sign replacements but nothing has materialised and we sign Dane to cover at the end of the window. Our budget is restarting us again and if we have actually gone in for Moore I'd say we are well down the list of potentials.
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 18:59 - Jan 17 with 1945 viewshomer_123

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 18:47 - Jan 17 by FromReuserWithLove

Personally i think we've struggled to our targets since the summer. Fred has been on standby to leave should we sign replacements but nothing has materialised and we sign Dane to cover at the end of the window. Our budget is restarting us again and if we have actually gone in for Moore I'd say we are well down the list of potentials.

You can view it two ways though.

You can view it as 'struggled' or you can view it as 'not panicking/ giving in'.

I, personally, have no issue with us ensuring we get the right sort of player. There will be a list and it's inevitable that you won't always get the person at the top of the list for each position, this is even more the case in the Jan transfer window.

I doubt Moore, for example, will be 15th on the list - I give both KM and Ashton more credit than that.
[Post edited 17 Jan 19:02]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 19:03 - Jan 17 with 1914 viewsBrianTablet

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 18:59 - Jan 17 by homer_123

You can view it as 'struggled' or you can view it as 'not panicking/ giving in'.

I, personally, have no issue with us ensuring we get the right sort of player. There will be a list and it's inevitable that you won't always get the person at the top of the list for each position, this is even more the case in the Jan transfer window.

I doubt Moore, for example, will be 15th on the list - I give both KM and Ashton more credit than that.

We have scraped our way to 2nd, so it's not been too much of a struggle.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 19:11 - Jan 17 with 1871 viewshomer_123

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 19:03 - Jan 17 by BrianTablet

I appreciate the anxiety, we've been here before under Mick and not invested.

It would have been great to simply get the player we want within the first week or Jan but I think we owe it to the players, KM and the Club to leave them to it and trust them to continue to recruit the way they are.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 19:26 - Jan 17 with 1798 viewsMK1

Think you are right, especially about Ladapo. McKenna also really likes Jackson, so thought he could catch up the slack. No question Ladapo is the biggest drop off of all the squad, which is a big disappointment. I am sure they are doing all they can to get a quality player in in time. Still time, so no panic buys or loans yet.
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 19:33 - Jan 17 with 1750 viewsFrimleyBlue

We signed scarlett for the season but he got recalled
But I don't think we settled for the striker options by choice tbh.

One thing that I'm suprised about If true is we've moved onto Moore because the Gallagher move is off... personally I'd have been all over the Moore move before the window even opened when you compare what he could give and Gallagher who's just come back from injury and the profiles of both.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 19:33 - Jan 17 with 1747 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Well that isn't the point i was making is it.

Agree with the other response however that we're waiting for the right player - which i support and applaud.
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 19:44 - Jan 17 with 1689 viewsFrimleyBlue

Whilst true.

Hirst played 22 out of 24 league games

Thankfully we didn't have to worry much. But most were concerned about what would happen if Hirst got injured.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 07:38 - Jan 18 with 1391 viewsTMWWNGAS

One thing that gets me, is people saying this or that person isn't prolific, or a Hirst replacement.

As much as I love Hirst, he isn't really prolific, he brings goals to the team, id love that striker who can bring goals and players into a game and is prolific.. sadly I think that striker will probably cost £10m in summer and £15m now.

And no i don't have a clue who we will bring in or any ideas for that matter...
If it's Moore hopefully fans will give him support and not remember him for the (raw) player he was when he was here.

My only opinion is the way town go about their business now, the striker we sign will be one we've heard little or nothing about in the press
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 09:00 - Jan 18 with 1275 viewsStewart27

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 18:59 - Jan 17 by homer_123

It’s hard to view it as or assume anything at the moment. We have no idea where we are with deals or if the likes of Moore are being used to force the arms of clubs.

All I know is that if we don’t have 2 strikers in by the end of the month then the transfer window and our transfer dealings of the last 6 months would have been abysmal.
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 09:38 - Jan 18 with 1162 viewsbobbyramsey

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 09:00 - Jan 18 by Stewart27

It’s hard to view it as or assume anything at the moment. We have no idea where we are with deals or if the likes of Moore are being used to force the arms of clubs.

All I know is that if we don’t have 2 strikers in by the end of the month then the transfer window and our transfer dealings of the last 6 months would have been abysmal.

We keep being told that the eyeing up of and the discussions about transfer targets is ongoing and that KM and MA will have identified targets as far back as the summer or even further. I assume they do this so that when the transfer window opens they have all their ducks in a row and are ready to pounce. On this occasion that does not appear to be the case, it looks like we are floundering a little.......
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 09:57 - Jan 18 with 1093 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 09:38 - Jan 18 by bobbyramsey

We keep being told that the eyeing up of and the discussions about transfer targets is ongoing and that KM and MA will have identified targets as far back as the summer or even further. I assume they do this so that when the transfer window opens they have all their ducks in a row and are ready to pounce. On this occasion that does not appear to be the case, it looks like we are floundering a little.......

Having your ducks in a row and being ready to pounce doesn't guarantee you'll get the players when you want, or at all. Teams tend to want to keep good players... and other teams will want them apart from us. There's also the issues of clubs wanting to extract the most amount of money from deals, and in some cases wanting to get replacements in first.

This is all pretty obvious stuff.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 10:13 - Jan 18 with 1028 viewsBseaBlue

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 09:57 - Jan 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Having your ducks in a row and being ready to pounce doesn't guarantee you'll get the players when you want, or at all. Teams tend to want to keep good players... and other teams will want them apart from us. There's also the issues of clubs wanting to extract the most amount of money from deals, and in some cases wanting to get replacements in first.

This is all pretty obvious stuff.

Exactly right. It isn't football manager. There are so many obstacles, particularly in this window that have to be considered, so it probably wasn't realistic that someone would be in the door on the 1st Jan.

I wonder to a degree whether our position in the table actually makes it more difficult for us, where we may be reluctant to spend on players that are good for the champ but not the premier league!

Where we failed was in the summer not to bring in competition for Hirst, but with the benefit of hindsight Hirst has been ever-present up until this window and we sit second in the table!

A little bit of patience is required now and if we end up with both Gallagher and Moore, happy days! I've convinced myself we are going to go on a run like last season as we head towards the end of the season.
The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 12:14 - Jan 18 with 871 viewsVegtablue

The striker conundrum..is it safe to assume on 07:38 - Jan 18 by TMWWNGAS

One thing that gets me, is people saying this or that person isn't prolific, or a Hirst replacement.

As much as I love Hirst, he isn't really prolific, he brings goals to the team, id love that striker who can bring goals and players into a game and is prolific.. sadly I think that striker will probably cost £10m in summer and £15m now.

And no i don't have a clue who we will bring in or any ideas for that matter...
If it's Moore hopefully fans will give him support and not remember him for the (raw) player he was when he was here.

My only opinion is the way town go about their business now, the striker we sign will be one we've heard little or nothing about in the press

We've certainly reached the final stages of deals without press intrusion, so there's every chance we land another surprise signing. We don't drop interest on account of paper talk either though, unless said talk has a material adverse effect on securing the deal. Hirst, Taylor and Scarlett are good examples of players we were linked with across multiple windows before signing, with the pursuit of Taylor perhaps the most loudly publicised of these three.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024