Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals scored without Hirst this season.. 16:01 - Jan 12 with 753 viewsVegtablue

3 against Leeds (loss - good performance)
3 against Cardiff (from loss to win)
2 against Birmingham (from loss to draw)
1 against Wednesday (win)
1 against Huddersfield (from loss to draw)
1 against Stoke (kept win)
1 against Blackburn (from draw to win)
1 against Watford (from draw to win)
1 against Rotherham (kept draw)
1 against Plymouth (kept win)
1 against Preston (kept win)
1 against Leicester (from loss to draw)
(3 against Wolves (great win))

Sorry for the lack of order and if I've forgotten any, but that's a decent amount of goals considering Hirst has played two-thirds of league minutes this season (1624 minutes รท 26 games = 62 minutes per game, averaged out).

In fact, if we overlook Hirst's contribution in tiring out opposition defences and probably skirt around stoppage time, we've scored marginally more goals with him off the pitch than on it (31 goals in Hirst's 62 minutes, 17 goals in the remaining 28 minutes + stoppage time).

We're desperate for strikers and this is far from an "everything is fine" post, but it's worth us remembering the above in light of McKenna's request that we back the strikers we have. I'm confident we're capable of scoring a couple against Sunderland, providing we don't try to turn a home game into an away one with the atmosphere we create. I was going to add this to MaySixth's thread but it became quite long.
[Post edited 12 Jan 16:37]
Goals scored without Hirst this season.. on 16:10 - Jan 12 with 677 viewsFrimleyBlue

All we need is for chappers to go on another purple patch.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Goals scored without Hirst this season.. on 16:18 - Jan 12 with 636 viewsVegtablue

Goals scored without Hirst this season.. on 16:10 - Jan 12 by FrimleyBlue

All we need is for chappers to go on another purple patch.

That would be much appreciated. All attackers are fit except for Hirst (question marks over Leif) and we've gained Sarmiento, so on paper we're as dangerous as ever behind the 9.
Goals scored without Hirst this season.. on 16:32 - Jan 12 with 591 viewsSteve_M

I think your key point is this one:

"In fact, if we overlook Hirst's contribution in tiring out opposition defences"

Without that then we don't score a lot of those goals IMO. Cardiff and Birmingham were definite matches where the subs won us points. Leeds was a slightly weird/slightly fun game.

Take those out and it's not loads (you can add the Leicester one in too btw) for a team that has been free scoring for much of the season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Goals scored without Hirst this season.. on 16:53 - Jan 12 with 530 viewsVegtablue

Goals scored without Hirst this season.. on 16:32 - Jan 12 by Steve_M

I think your key point is this one:

"In fact, if we overlook Hirst's contribution in tiring out opposition defences"

Without that then we don't score a lot of those goals IMO. Cardiff and Birmingham were definite matches where the subs won us points. Leeds was a slightly weird/slightly fun game.

Take those out and it's not loads (you can add the Leicester one in too btw) for a team that has been free scoring for much of the season.

Thank you Leicester of course, I totted up 17 goals originally but then edited down to 16 after checking my list. That's 51 goals if tripled, while we've scored 48 so far and the third-highest scorers are on 46. I don't disagree with your sentiment, as difficult as it is to pinpoint the proportion of goals that should be attributed specifically to post-Hirst tiredness, but it's still a good amount of goals in my book and reason to retain hope while we await better transfer news.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024