Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tinnitus 12:47 - Jan 9 with 4130 viewsgeg1992

Hi everyone,

I've had tinnitus for almost 10 years now and it hasn't caused me much distress except from the 1st year where I really struggled.

I've been to football home and away, clubbing (with ear plugs), travelling etc and never had an issue.

Since the last home game it has increased and is really bothering me again. It's affecting my sleep and sometimes my concentration as I can hear it 24/7.

I'm really considering skipping the next home game to give my ears a rest, but as stupid as it sounds, football has really helped me through a difficult year as my wife became extremely ill and spent over 5 weeks in hospital and is still recovering (but certainly very close to her normal self, thankfully!)

I wonder, for those who do suffer, do you wear ear plugs to the matches? Or take any other precautions? I'm wondering if it was actually the tannoy system. I remember it being very loud and because of the medical emergency, was on much longer than usual.

Thanks for any advice!

EDIT - also interested to hear from people that have had it long term to see how you've coped / how it's progressed in time.
[Post edited 9 Jan 12:50]

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Tinnitus on 12:50 - Jan 9 with 3311 viewsRadioOrwell

There's a free app available linked in the article.

I haven't used it yet but I will.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/09/new-app-can-reduce-debilitating-
Tinnitus on 12:53 - Jan 9 with 3270 viewsgeg1992

Tinnitus on 12:50 - Jan 9 by RadioOrwell

There's a free app available linked in the article.

I haven't used it yet but I will.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/09/new-app-can-reduce-debilitating-

Thank you, I will have a read. Sounds interesting!

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Tinnitus on 13:02 - Jan 9 with 3217 viewstazdac

I’ve had tinnitus for years, I’m also deaf and have Ménières. I wear Bluetooth hearing aids and often play music at low volume when in noisy environments which helps. :o)
Tinnitus on 13:02 - Jan 9 with 3213 viewsGreg_Norton

Yes, I have it pretty bad. Probably mainly from playing bass in a band for years (I’m 51). Last few games sitting in the upper Pioneer, I have found the tannoy volume unbearable so I will be trying ear plugs next game to try and calm things down!
Tinnitus on 13:29 - Jan 9 with 3085 viewsKeno

I've had a annoying high pitched whistle in my left ear only for some years for which I found a few help such as

- Leave a radio at night on which seems to help cancel the noise so I can get to sleep
- When I work I usually have music or the TV on as I find background noise helps a lot
- If I if the car any length of time I make sure the air con low and blowing on the left side of my face
- I try to avoid loud noise inside, that just makes it a whole lot worse, but dont find outside noise affects it
- when its really bad I do find having something warm on my ear helps but doesnt stop it (I have one of those microwavable bags)

Ive tried a Flare Ear Plug but that didnt really help

You have my sympathy

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Tinnitus on 13:37 - Jan 9 with 3039 viewsBLUEBEAT

This is an interesting post to me.

I have had tinnitus since the late 90s but I welcome any kind of noise as a distraction.

It’s quiet environments I have issues with.

Poll: W or W

Tinnitus on 14:57 - Jan 9 with 2875 viewsSitfcB

Yes he’s had tinnitus for probably nearly 15 years now, constantly, been deaf in the ear it’s in for the same time as well.

Used to it now but can always hear it when I think about it and more prominent occasionally after I’ve been in loud environments, got really bad when I had covid.

Never taken any precautions or anything, just learnt to live with it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Tinnitus on 14:59 - Jan 9 with 2863 viewsSitfcB

Tinnitus on 13:29 - Jan 9 by Keno

I've had a annoying high pitched whistle in my left ear only for some years for which I found a few help such as

- Leave a radio at night on which seems to help cancel the noise so I can get to sleep
- When I work I usually have music or the TV on as I find background noise helps a lot
- If I if the car any length of time I make sure the air con low and blowing on the left side of my face
- I try to avoid loud noise inside, that just makes it a whole lot worse, but dont find outside noise affects it
- when its really bad I do find having something warm on my ear helps but doesnt stop it (I have one of those microwavable bags)

Ive tried a Flare Ear Plug but that didnt really help

You have my sympathy

I tried a flare ear plug (after seeing you post it on here before I think) when mine was really bad when I was struck with covid but as you say, didn’t do anything.

COYB

Login to get fewer ads

Tinnitus on 15:02 - Jan 9 with 2840 viewsKeno

Tinnitus on 14:59 - Jan 9 by SitfcB

I tried a flare ear plug (after seeing you post it on here before I think) when mine was really bad when I was struck with covid but as you say, didn’t do anything.

sorry about Sitters!!! I apologise for that

It worked a bit for a few weeks then I think I got used it and it had no effect.

Tinnitus on 15:09 - Jan 9 with 2816 viewsSitfcB

Tinnitus on 15:02 - Jan 9 by Keno

sorry about Sitters!!! I apologise for that

It worked a bit for a few weeks then I think I got used it and it had no effect.

Ha no need to apologies, was worth a go.

COYB

Tinnitus on 15:46 - Jan 9 with 2710 viewsWeWereZombies

I'm another one who has suffered from tinnitus for years and learned to live with it. The Tannoy and PA systems are Portman Road are amongst the worse triggers for me, I think it is fair to say that those in charge of the sound at our beloved club are the only bad thing remaining in the set up. They appear not to have the slightest clue about what they are doing. As has been said in the deaf community 'Louder is not clearer'.

Rather than put in ear plugs you can pop open the battery compartment on your hearing aids, the effect is the same.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Tinnitus on 16:01 - Jan 9 with 2675 viewsWeWereZombies

I'm another one who has suffered from tinnitus for years and learned to live with it. The Tannoy and PA systems are Portman Road are amongst the worse triggers for me, I think it is fair to say that those in charge of the sound at our beloved club are the only bad thing remaining in the set up. They appear not to have the slightest clue about what they are doing. As has been said in the deaf community 'Louder is not clearer'.

Rather than put in ear plugs you can pop open the battery compartment on your hearing aids, the effect is the same.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Tinnitus on 18:05 - Jan 9 with 2551 viewseireblue

I recently, well Covid times, started to get tinnitus.

Strangely it is very similar to Keno’s….hang on a second….just checked the basement, no I am definitely not Keno…..or Penny has escaped…anyhoo

I would recommend seeing an audiologist. I don’t have hearing problems but did have sound sensitivity initially. Still have bad days with the tinnitus, but sound sensitivity has gone, after following their advice.
Tinnitus on 22:14 - Jan 9 with 2398 viewstcblue

The flare earplugs are a scam, tinnitus isn't noises you can hear from outside.

A younger life of DJing in clubs with poor quality sound systems did it for me. I too wear ear monitors playing music rather than earplugs when in environments where I might get even more hearing damage. The plugs just block out everything other than the ringing, so makes it even more noticeable / annoying.
Tinnitus on 05:16 - Jan 10 with 2288 viewsDubai_Blue

Tinnitus on 13:37 - Jan 9 by BLUEBEAT

This is an interesting post to me.

I have had tinnitus since the late 90s but I welcome any kind of noise as a distraction.

It’s quiet environments I have issues with.

I am the same the quieter it is the more it effects me.
Tinnitus on 13:17 - Jan 10 with 2096 viewswubilyu

Hi folks,

I've had chronic tinnitus since 2016 due to an injury. The past three years I've gone back to my old trade as a plasterer to help put some funds into my music but last year I had to cut my hours right down to zero because it was making my condition much, much worse. Stress on the neck being one of the worst culprits.

I've been reading TWTD over twenty years or so and forgive me for not writing on here sooner. TWTD has helped me in so many ways over the years, especially since the accident that changed my life. I would like to say a big thank you for being there.

Seeing as this thread was about something that is close to the bone and I am at the lowest point I have ever been with my tinnitus I thought it an apt time to speak out. There are many of the weird sound in the head people out there. You're not alone.

If anyone ever needs to chat about their tinnitus, feel free to message me. Know that even with an extreme version of tinnitus, let's call it Tinnitus 2.0, it is manageable. I find mine much louder with low atmospheric pressure and the more stress overall the worse the condition.

Best of luck and never, ever give up.

Counaqi and a simple mild cheddar. Peace n Love. COYBs
[Post edited 12 Jan 20:38]
Tinnitus on 13:33 - Jan 10 with 2048 viewsKeno

Tinnitus on 13:17 - Jan 10 by wubilyu

Hi folks,

I've had chronic tinnitus since 2016 due to an injury. The past three years I've gone back to my old trade as a plasterer to help put some funds into my music but last year I had to cut my hours right down to zero because it was making my condition much, much worse. Stress on the neck being one of the worst culprits.

I've been reading TWTD over twenty years or so and forgive me for not writing on here sooner. TWTD has helped me in so many ways over the years, especially since the accident that changed my life. I would like to say a big thank you for being there.

Seeing as this thread was about something that is close to the bone and I am at the lowest point I have ever been with my tinnitus I thought it an apt time to speak out. There are many of the weird sound in the head people out there. You're not alone.

If anyone ever needs to chat about their tinnitus, feel free to message me. Know that even with an extreme version of tinnitus, let's call it Tinnitus 2.0, it is manageable. I find mine much louder with low atmospheric pressure and the more stress overall the worse the condition.

Best of luck and never, ever give up.

Counaqi and a simple mild cheddar. Peace n Love. COYBs
[Post edited 12 Jan 20:38]

Thanks for posting

Are you still able to play your music or does that affect your tinnitus?

Tinnitus on 13:38 - Jan 10 with 2035 viewswubilyu

Tinnitus on 13:33 - Jan 10 by Keno

Thanks for posting

Are you still able to play your music or does that affect your tinnitus?

I don't think I could ever play!! :)

Seriously though, I still write and record, it took me about six months to teach myself how to sing again with how I monitor sound. I did try some open mic nights locally to see how I'd get on. It's going to be tough to perform live again so I'll probably have to book bespoke gigs somehow. I do plan to start gigging online this year. It's all about controlling the environment I work in I think.
Tinnitus on 14:19 - Jan 10 with 1980 viewsBluish

Tinnitus on 13:38 - Jan 10 by wubilyu

I don't think I could ever play!! :)

Seriously though, I still write and record, it took me about six months to teach myself how to sing again with how I monitor sound. I did try some open mic nights locally to see how I'd get on. It's going to be tough to perform live again so I'll probably have to book bespoke gigs somehow. I do plan to start gigging online this year. It's all about controlling the environment I work in I think.

I've been following Rachel Goswell's career for many years (she of Slowdive) and she talked a little about her tinnitus and hearing loss in a recent interview:

'I wasn’t actually out of music for that long. It only ended up being about five years, because Neil and I did Mojave 3 for 10 years post-Slowdive and released five albums on 4AD. So, I was still out there doing stuff. I took my break when the last Mojave 3 record was released. I got labyrinthitis which ironically gave me nerve damage in my cochlear on the left side. I’ve got profound hearing loss on the left side at certain frequencies. It also left me with permanent tinnitus, and I had terrible vertigo for four months. I couldn’t walk a straight line, and I had balance-retraining therapy for a year. That was when I dipped out doing live work and music. I spent two years post-that feeling very devastated, thinking that I wouldn’t be able to do music anymore. I didn’t think Slowdive would be a thing again, and it took me two years, but I made my peace with not doing music after I got sick — which is why now I’m even more grateful to the fact that I have been able to come back and do it. I wear molded earplugs when we rehearse to help with my tinnitus and monitors when we play live for that same reason. So, I’ve managed that.'
Tinnitus on 14:32 - Jan 10 with 1946 viewswubilyu

Tinnitus on 14:19 - Jan 10 by Bluish

I've been following Rachel Goswell's career for many years (she of Slowdive) and she talked a little about her tinnitus and hearing loss in a recent interview:

'I wasn’t actually out of music for that long. It only ended up being about five years, because Neil and I did Mojave 3 for 10 years post-Slowdive and released five albums on 4AD. So, I was still out there doing stuff. I took my break when the last Mojave 3 record was released. I got labyrinthitis which ironically gave me nerve damage in my cochlear on the left side. I’ve got profound hearing loss on the left side at certain frequencies. It also left me with permanent tinnitus, and I had terrible vertigo for four months. I couldn’t walk a straight line, and I had balance-retraining therapy for a year. That was when I dipped out doing live work and music. I spent two years post-that feeling very devastated, thinking that I wouldn’t be able to do music anymore. I didn’t think Slowdive would be a thing again, and it took me two years, but I made my peace with not doing music after I got sick — which is why now I’m even more grateful to the fact that I have been able to come back and do it. I wear molded earplugs when we rehearse to help with my tinnitus and monitors when we play live for that same reason. So, I’ve managed that.'

Thanks Bluish

That's an interesting piece.
Tinnitus on 15:23 - Jan 10 with 1878 viewsBuhrer

I found an NHS Tinnitus hotline but I've called it and it just keeps ringing.
Tinnitus on 12:51 - Jan 20 with 1341 viewsLord_Lucan

Mother has very poor hearing, in fact she is almost deaf.

She only recently told me that she constantly has what sounds like a Welsh choir in here ears 24 hours a day, apparently it is some sort of tinnitus but the couple of people she has seen about it reckon there is no cure.

Anyone know anything about this crazy sh1t?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tinnitus on 13:00 - Jan 20 with 1295 viewsLeoMuff

Tinnitus on 12:51 - Jan 20 by Lord_Lucan

Mother has very poor hearing, in fact she is almost deaf.

She only recently told me that she constantly has what sounds like a Welsh choir in here ears 24 hours a day, apparently it is some sort of tinnitus but the couple of people she has seen about it reckon there is no cure.

Anyone know anything about this crazy sh1t?

Could be like in stroke if you have some visual loss sometimes the brain fills the gaps with all sorts of random imagines, maybe hearing is the same.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Tinnitus on 13:03 - Jan 20 with 1277 viewsLord_Lucan

Tinnitus on 13:00 - Jan 20 by LeoMuff

Could be like in stroke if you have some visual loss sometimes the brain fills the gaps with all sorts of random imagines, maybe hearing is the same.

Yes, I think that is what it is, the brain is compensating for her deafness.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tinnitus on 13:06 - Jan 20 with 1271 viewsMJallday

Yeah I get it really bad in my left ear.
Someone recently posted on here that anti depressants can make it worse .not sure how true this is but certainly in my case it has

What helps me is background noise eg tv or radio

It’s the quiet that I notice it in

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024