Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
J.P.R Williams dies 20:51 - Jan 8 with 1713 viewsblueislander

Played tennis with/against him a few times. RIP.
J.P.R Williams dies on 20:54 - Jan 8 with 1468 viewsbluelagos

He was proper good at rugby wasn't he. Was he the guy that was a GP too?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

J.P.R Williams dies on 20:56 - Jan 8 with 1455 viewsBloomBlue

A great rugby player and a great sideburn grower.
J.P.R Williams dies on 20:56 - Jan 8 with 1449 viewsgainsboroughblue

J.P.R Williams dies on 20:54 - Jan 8 by bluelagos

He was proper good at rugby wasn't he. Was he the guy that was a GP too?

Physician wasn't he?

I remember JPR being a regular feature of my youth watching rugby on Grandstand.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:00 - Jan 8 with 1413 viewsblueislander

J.P.R Williams dies on 20:56 - Jan 8 by BloomBlue

He won Junior Wimbledon too.
J.P.R Williams dies on 21:01 - Jan 8 with 1413 viewsbluelagos

J.P.R Williams dies on 20:56 - Jan 8 by gainsboroughblue

Physician wasn't he?

I remember JPR being a regular feature of my youth watching rugby on Grandstand.

He was a big big name in the 70s when Wales were streets ahead of anyone else (France aside). Certainly the biggest name I remember along with Gareth Edwards.

Rugby was a far different game back then, not sure professionalism has improved it tbh

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:01 - Jan 8 with 1402 viewsblueislander

Physician wasn't he?

He came from a family of doctors.
J.P.R Williams dies on 21:02 - Jan 8 with 1401 viewsnorfsufblue

J.P.R Williams dies on 20:56 - Jan 8 by BloomBlue

If I'd been any good at Rugby I'd really want to be JPR.... that Welsh team!.. RIP sir
J.P.R Williams dies on 21:13 - Jan 8 with 1355 viewsfactual_blue

Kept my old school teacher and England full-back out of the 1971 Lions first XV.

RIP

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:14 - Jan 8 with 1347 viewsblueislander

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:13 - Jan 8 by factual_blue

Kept my old school teacher and England full-back out of the 1971 Lions first XV.

RIP

Who was that?
J.P.R Williams dies on 21:23 - Jan 8 with 1321 viewsfactual_blue

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:14 - Jan 8 by blueislander

Who was that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hiller

And here's one of his maths lessons, not at my school though

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:43 - Jan 8 with 1278 viewssolemio

JPR would be right up there for the full back position in an all-time world XV.
J.P.R Williams dies on 21:45 - Jan 8 with 1261 viewsblueislander

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:43 - Jan 8 by solemio

JPR would be right up there for the full back position in an all-time world XV.

Funny to think that his famous shoulder barge that saved a try would now warrant a red card.
J.P.R Williams dies on 21:47 - Jan 8 with 1252 viewsjontysnut

I remember when he got stamped on the face by the All Blacks - had a big old scar. Wonderful player though.
J.P.R Williams dies on 22:04 - Jan 8 with 1221 viewsBlueForYou

Fantastic player & one of my true heroes when I was a young lad., but never saw him play. He was an orthopaedic surgeon in later life, & played local Rugby into his fifties. A thoroughly decent man. Rugby was way rougher in those days but guys like him stood out like a beacon. Great player for Wales & for the Lions. Very sad that he has left us. A true sporting legend. RIP.
J.P.R Williams dies on 23:18 - Jan 8 with 1160 viewsChurchman

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:23 - Jan 8 by factual_blue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hiller

And here's one of his maths lessons, not at my school though

Top top player, Bob Hiller. I remember watching him on TV in th 5 Nations as a yoof. Unlucky to have the great JPR in front of him for the Lions.
J.P.R Williams dies on 00:17 - Jan 9 with 1119 viewsfactual_blue

J.P.R Williams dies on 23:18 - Jan 8 by Churchman

Top top player, Bob Hiller. I remember watching him on TV in th 5 Nations as a yoof. Unlucky to have the great JPR in front of him for the Lions.

He's about 82 now I think, and President of Harlequins. He lived opposite the school, and once drove me to the local hospital in his sports car when I badly gashed my hand playing rugby.

Watching him practice drop kicks and conversions on the school field was always impressive; he could put the ball between the posts from pretty well anywhere, every time.

J.P.R Williams dies on 10:22 - Jan 9 with 975 viewsBluespeed225

Loved the fact he went by his initials. Say JPR to men of a certain age and it will conjure up visions of 6 nations in the 70's. Was he part of THAT try for the Barbarians?
J.P.R Williams dies on 10:36 - Jan 9 with 956 viewsvilanovablue

Physician wasn't he?

He was a consultant orthopaedic surgeon. When i worked in medical insurance he wrote a few reports on his patients for us.
J.P.R Williams dies on 11:11 - Jan 9 with 931 viewsRyorry

He was 'Mr Rugby,', synonymous with the sport back in the day in my relative yoof when it was exciting to watch.

Sounds like he was a real good guy on the pitch and off it.

R.I.P.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

J.P.R Williams dies on 17:07 - Jan 9 with 831 viewsArnoldMoorhen

J.P.R Williams dies on 10:22 - Jan 9 by Bluespeed225

Loved the fact he went by his initials. Say JPR to men of a certain age and it will conjure up visions of 6 nations in the 70's. Was he part of THAT try for the Barbarians?

It was Five Nations in the 70s. Italy joined later.

But, yes, one of the greats of British sport of that or any era.

RIP JPR
J.P.R Williams dies on 17:20 - Jan 9 with 818 viewsRadlett_blue

J.P.R Williams dies on 21:00 - Jan 8 by blueislander

He won Junior Wimbledon too.

No, that's a popular myth. JPR did win the British Junior title, also played at Wimbledon, beating DAvid Lloyd in the final, which isn't quite the same as beating the world's most promising teenagers. He did beat a couple of pros in the early days of open tennis so he undoubtedly could have made a career of tennis, but his parents (both doctors) suggested he train as a surgeon, which would enable him to play amateur rugby. Whoever on here played against him at tennis must have been useful himself.
JPR seemed like an all round good guy & this seems like a real loss, even in the days when so many are described as "legends". RIP

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

J.P.R Williams dies on 17:47 - Jan 9 with 798 viewsblueislander

J.P.R Williams dies on 17:20 - Jan 9 by Radlett_blue

No, that's a popular myth. JPR did win the British Junior title, also played at Wimbledon, beating DAvid Lloyd in the final, which isn't quite the same as beating the world's most promising teenagers. He did beat a couple of pros in the early days of open tennis so he undoubtedly could have made a career of tennis, but his parents (both doctors) suggested he train as a surgeon, which would enable him to play amateur rugby. Whoever on here played against him at tennis must have been useful himself.
JPR seemed like an all round good guy & this seems like a real loss, even in the days when so many are described as "legends". RIP

With respect it was known as Junior Wimbledon in those days. . The junior event at the Wimbledon championship was first played just a few years earlier and was won by Stanley Matthews Junior.
J.P.R Williams dies on 18:11 - Jan 9 with 787 viewssolemio

J.P.R Williams dies on 17:47 - Jan 9 by blueislander

With respect it was known as Junior Wimbledon in those days. . The junior event at the Wimbledon championship was first played just a few years earlier and was won by Stanley Matthews Junior.

Yes, JPR did win a Junior event held at Wimbledon, but he did not win Junior Wimbledon. The latter, of course, had a much higher level of entrant.
J.P.R Williams dies on 18:17 - Jan 9 with 779 viewsblueislander

J.P.R Williams dies on 18:11 - Jan 9 by solemio

Yes, JPR did win a Junior event held at Wimbledon, but he did not win Junior Wimbledon. The latter, of course, had a much higher level of entrant.

It was the British National Championships played on the hard courts at Wimbledon, and was known then as Junior Wimbledon. I played in the tournament so I can speak with some authority
J.P.R Williams dies on 18:18 - Jan 9 with 777 viewsDJR

He had a minor role in what is often regarded as the greater try but also scored one himself in the same game.

[Post edited 9 Jan 18:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024