Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. 21:40 - Jan 7 with 1800 viewsford6600

Made by Anglia TV in the early 1980's, remember the intro with the dancing lady silhoette!
l remember the episode 'Royal Jelly' starring Susan George in 1980 she had a strange Somerset cider accent whilst acting as a East Anglian bee keepers wife! Anyone remember any other episodes...
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 22:24 - Jan 7 with 1670 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Timothy West was the lead in Royal Jelly. A genuine tale of the unexpected, that one.

Galloping Foxley was about someone coming face to face with their Boarding School bully.

There was one about a cad, played by Sir John Mills, who won people's trust then bought highly valuable antiques off them for a pittance.

Those are all dredged from 30+ year old memories.
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 23:39 - Jan 7 with 1582 viewsgainsboroughblue

Other than Royal Jelly, the one I most remember was when Susan George killed her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and Brian Blessed was the police detective investigating and ended up eating the murder weapon for dinner.

Also, have vague memories of an old guy being left to die in an elevator by his wife and a bloke jumping off a boat into the sea to win a bet but died as the person who saw him was deaf and couldn't hear his cries for help as he drowned.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 23:50 - Jan 7 with 1555 viewsBLUEBEAT

I watched every episode again during lockdown.

Most enjoyable and I liked spotting the locally shot scenes.

Was very young, but I remember the excitement in the village we were living in when it was visited by Joan Collins for an episode (Somerleyton).
[Post edited 7 Jan 23:54]

Poll: W or W

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 23:55 - Jan 7 with 1543 viewsMisterBlue

Prior to Christmas the original episodes were being shown on the Sky Arts channel - available via Freeview (channel 36) or Sky/Now Entertainment package. 9 series available on catch-up
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 00:11 - Jan 8 with 1503 viewsIllinoisblue

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 23:39 - Jan 7 by gainsboroughblue

Other than Royal Jelly, the one I most remember was when Susan George killed her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and Brian Blessed was the police detective investigating and ended up eating the murder weapon for dinner.

Also, have vague memories of an old guy being left to die in an elevator by his wife and a bloke jumping off a boat into the sea to win a bet but died as the person who saw him was deaf and couldn't hear his cries for help as he drowned.

Remember that one with the police eating the dinner. Crazy how 40 odd years later we remember such things. Prob would have been same era as Hammer House of Horrors Saturday night run on ITV. Still traumatized by The House that Dripped Blood

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 03:51 - Jan 8 with 1377 viewsPerublue

I was surprised how "recent" the thing was.
In my head I was sure it was early 70's until very early 80's...I was a decade out.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 03:51 - Jan 8 with 1377 viewsNorfolknWay

The Boggis Comode being turned to firewood.

And the taxidermist landlady.
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 06:59 - Jan 8 with 1292 viewsPendejo

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 03:51 - Jan 8 by NorfolknWay

The Boggis Comode being turned to firewood.

And the taxidermist landlady.

Saw the Commode one recently, hilarious.

One that captured the imagination of my brother and I ended with what we would describe as a "fish headed" creature Whittington sound "wah, wah, wah" and we used to imitate it when showing dissent to parents.
That's the one I want to see, to see if it matches my memory.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 08:08 - Jan 8 with 1226 viewsjontysnut

One of the few genuinely disturbing episodes was the one called 'Flypaper' about the young girl thinking that a man was going to abduct her.

The ones set in America were mostly terrible.
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 08:22 - Jan 8 with 1204 viewsWhos_blue

The episode I remember most vividly was where someone was looking for the ultimate meal and they caught a ghost and ate what I can only image was its spirit. Whatever it was they caught they ended up frying it and eating it. WTF?!?

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 08:30 - Jan 8 with 1175 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

A fella invented a box that amplified sounds, he could hear the neighbours flowers scream as they were cut. Think he got someone round to experience it, swung an axe into a tree and then a branch fell and smashed the box.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 11:50 - Jan 8 with 998 viewsDeano69

I knew a couple of people that were extras on occasions.

Recall the one where someone invented a machine that could hear plants 'talking' but went mad as they screamed when being cut

Also another with someone murdering his wife and kept her head in a black bin bag??

Patrick Mower in one?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 11:51 - Jan 8 with 992 viewsDeano69

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 00:11 - Jan 8 by Illinoisblue

Remember that one with the police eating the dinner. Crazy how 40 odd years later we remember such things. Prob would have been same era as Hammer House of Horrors Saturday night run on ITV. Still traumatized by The House that Dripped Blood

Ditto - on the House the Bled to death or Dripped blood or whatever it was called. Terrified me as a kid!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 17:11 - Jan 8 with 853 viewsford6600

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 22:24 - Jan 7 by ArnoldMoorhen

Timothy West was the lead in Royal Jelly. A genuine tale of the unexpected, that one.

Galloping Foxley was about someone coming face to face with their Boarding School bully.

There was one about a cad, played by Sir John Mills, who won people's trust then bought highly valuable antiques off them for a pittance.

Those are all dredged from 30+ year old memories.

Yes couldn't understand why Susan George took off her blouse in Royal jelly..
but nice nevertheless! Probably why this episode is remembered by so many.
'The Landlady' was set in Bath, a dark tale about stuffed bed and breakfast customers..
Yes remember the school bully on the train episode...also john Mills in The Umbrella Man
has many scenes in Norwich by the Cathedral.
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 20:37 - Jan 8 with 775 viewsford6600

'Taste' 1980 was about Richard Pratt a wine connoisseur who makes a bet he can guess the
name of the mystery bottle of rare wine in exchange for the hosts daughter in marriage..

Can't remember name of epIsode about an antique dealer who spots a very rare dressing table? in a farm but walks away and regrets it when he returns...
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 21:14 - Jan 8 with 733 viewsBloomBlue

I remember the 'Poison' episode. There was a bloke in bed and this poisonous snake was moving around under his sheets. Judy Geeson kept coming into his bedroom saying 'is that a snake in your bed or are you pleased to see me'

Or am I getting confused with a CarryOn film

Karen Standley was the dancer in the title sequence.
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 21:27 - Jan 8 with 717 viewsford6600

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl. on 21:14 - Jan 8 by BloomBlue

I remember the 'Poison' episode. There was a bloke in bed and this poisonous snake was moving around under his sheets. Judy Geeson kept coming into his bedroom saying 'is that a snake in your bed or are you pleased to see me'

Or am I getting confused with a CarryOn film

Karen Standley was the dancer in the title sequence.

Her boyfriend was called Timber he was hard as well.
Bloke was in bed and had snake on his belly and sweated a lot.
Judy Geeson?

Her sister Sally Geeson was in Bless this House don't think she ever came across a snake in her bed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024