Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New class of antibiotic discoved 22:44 - Jan 4 with 1213 viewsStokieBlue

For the first time in 50 years a new chemical antibiotic has been discovered. It basically stops the the LPS in a bacteria from forming a hardened outer shell making it much more vulnerable to attack.

It's been tested against the CRAB bacteria in mice and the lab with very promising results. CRAB is totally drug resistant and tends to be found in large numbers in hospitals where it can find weakened immune systems (it's often referred to as a superbug). It has a mortality rate of up to 50%. The new treatments were able to eradicate CRAB in the tests. It's also been tested on other conditions such as pneumonia.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/03/scientists-new-class-antibiotic-

Paper in Nature:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06873-0

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:02 - Jan 4 with 1114 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Way over my pay grade but do they check which beneficial bacteria might also be destroyed?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:05 - Jan 4 with 1098 viewsDarkBrandon

Best news in antibiotic research for a very long time
New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:08 - Jan 4 with 1089 viewsStokieBlue

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:02 - Jan 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Way over my pay grade but do they check which beneficial bacteria might also be destroyed?

Is that something you ask when you're prescribed antibiotics by the doctor?

SB

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:18 - Jan 4 with 1043 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:08 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

SB

Yes.
It's an honest question and I thought you might know the answer.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New class of antibiotic discoved on 05:17 - Jan 5 with 779 viewsPippin1970

My mate had crabs but reputation with local women. He will be pleased with breakthrough.
New class of antibiotic discoved on 06:33 - Jan 5 with 731 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

New class of antibiotic discoved on 05:17 - Jan 5 by Pippin1970

My mate had crabs but reputation with local women. He will be pleased with breakthrough.

‘Mate’

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

New class of antibiotic discoved on 06:57 - Jan 5 with 713 viewsBlueBadger

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:08 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

SB

There's a junior I work with who, when asked similar says 'I'm not sure, but not taking these is generally a sure fire way of ensuring you're ending up on something stronger, in hospital'.

In any case, I'd image that the first iterations f any antibtiocs coming out of this research will be a)expensive and b) very targeted and only precribable on the advice of a microbiologist.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New class of antibiotic discoved on 08:30 - Jan 5 with 583 viewsGeoffSentence

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:02 - Jan 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's a mystery to me my phage threapy isn't more widely used. Clearly it will have some disadvantages, but in a world where anti-bacterial resistance is a problem, and the side effects on the microbiome are another problem, I don't understand why phage therapy is not used where it can be.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

New class of antibiotic discoved on 11:52 - Jan 5 with 449 viewsStokieBlue

New class of antibiotic discoved on 23:18 - Jan 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Yes.
It's an honest question and I thought you might know the answer.

Antibiotics can and do kill good bacteria in the biome but this is usually quickly replaced through everyday eating. It's worth noting that in general the temporary loss of some of this bacteria is much more preferable than allowing the bad bacteria to take hold and cause illness.

There are "narrow spectrum" antibiotics which attempt to target specific bacteria only and this is the preferred approach. Development of these is more scientifically difficult and time consuming but is definitely something that is actively researched.

SB

New class of antibiotic discoved on 11:53 - Jan 5 with 442 viewsStokieBlue

New class of antibiotic discoved on 08:30 - Jan 5 by GeoffSentence

It's a mystery to me my phage threapy isn't more widely used. Clearly it will have some disadvantages, but in a world where anti-bacterial resistance is a problem, and the side effects on the microbiome are another problem, I don't understand why phage therapy is not used where it can be.

The article highlights that more funding has been allocated for phage research but I think we are still a bit away from large scale usage.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024