Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Save Whitton Utd 10:44 - Dec 30 with 1503 viewsMookamoo

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

If you can get past laughing at the 'famous' victory bit, it's an interesting piece on the mighty Whitton Utd who a young Mookamoo played for in his youth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-67766828

Didn't Dozzell snr play for them, or am I mis-remembering?
Save Whitton Utd on 10:53 - Dec 30 with 1423 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

My old man played for them in the late 50’s and early 60’s.

How did Ruel Fox end up at Norwich rather than Ipswich though! Very good player in his day.
Save Whitton Utd on 10:57 - Dec 30 with 1395 viewsPhilTWTD

Save Whitton Utd on 10:53 - Dec 30 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

My old man played for them in the late 50’s and early 60’s.

How did Ruel Fox end up at Norwich rather than Ipswich though! Very good player in his day.

I asked him a few years back and he said at the time Town didn't really have a youth set-up above a certain age. He was here before he was there.
Save Whitton Utd on 11:42 - Dec 30 with 1246 viewsstonojnr

Save Whitton Utd on 10:57 - Dec 30 by PhilTWTD

I asked him a few years back and he said at the time Town didn't really have a youth set-up above a certain age. He was here before he was there.

Yes I thought it was classic town disorganisation, more than anything else, he joined them in 86, Dozzell had been with us since 83 so youd have thought 84/85 we'd have looked to sign him, but that's when Town were in a bit of a state on and off the pitch and ended up being relegated.

And not the first youth player, probably not last either, to go that way

I suppose the ultimate question is really who out of his contemporaries, ie we picked them instead of him, made it into the full team, but I suspect none did at that time
Save Whitton Utd on 12:01 - Dec 30 with 1190 viewssuffolkpoker

Didn’t they have Richard Wright, scrowcroft and a couple of others all in the same age group?

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Save Whitton Utd on 12:12 - Dec 30 with 1143 viewsBluespeed225

The days when communities and small villages are committed to their sports clubs is sadly a thing of the past. Football, cricket, rugby all suffering as kids are drawn to other pursuits( the net'/netflix/not bothered, seen as un-cool???) Amazed when Roger Osborne was on LAP the other week, said he didn't want to talk about the current state of Westerfield, his old club, but mentioned they could only get 8 players some games. They've since dropped out of the league. Maybe football suffers a kids want it all, the glamour, money, fame, or not at all? Smaller sports, my old one, hockey, seem to still get a good turn out. Places like Debenham always seemed to have vibrant sports clubs.
Save Whitton Utd on 12:47 - Dec 30 with 1053 viewsBluefields

Save Whitton Utd on 11:42 - Dec 30 by stonojnr

Yes I thought it was classic town disorganisation, more than anything else, he joined them in 86, Dozzell had been with us since 83 so youd have thought 84/85 we'd have looked to sign him, but that's when Town were in a bit of a state on and off the pitch and ended up being relegated.

I suppose the ultimate question is really who out of his contemporaries, ie we picked them instead of him, made it into the full team, but I suspect none did at that time

Town still had an excellent youth set up then
Save Whitton Utd on 14:11 - Dec 30 with 892 viewsITFC_Forever

Save Whitton Utd on 12:12 - Dec 30 by Bluespeed225

The days when communities and small villages are committed to their sports clubs is sadly a thing of the past. Football, cricket, rugby all suffering as kids are drawn to other pursuits( the net'/netflix/not bothered, seen as un-cool???) Amazed when Roger Osborne was on LAP the other week, said he didn't want to talk about the current state of Westerfield, his old club, but mentioned they could only get 8 players some games. They've since dropped out of the league. Maybe football suffers a kids want it all, the glamour, money, fame, or not at all? Smaller sports, my old one, hockey, seem to still get a good turn out. Places like Debenham always seemed to have vibrant sports clubs.

Ruel is right when he says about the commitment (or lack of) from today’s generation.

It goes right through football down to the lowest Sunday League level.
The team me and a mate founded in 1997 folded this summer as they struggled to get players, and it’s typical of Sunday mornings.

There used to be five divisions in the Licensed Trades League where we played and another 12 or 13 in the Sunday League as recently as the turn of the century.
Now the leagues have had to merge and there’s only five divisions in total.

We used to commit and play pretty much every week. Now players will miss a game for any reason - “can’t play this week, it’s my girlfriend’s Mum’s cat’s birthday”.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Save Whitton Utd on 14:12 - Dec 30 with 882 viewsITFC_Forever

Save Whitton Utd on 11:42 - Dec 30 by stonojnr

Louie Donowa was another.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Save Whitton Utd on 17:13 - Dec 30 with 683 viewsbrazil1982

Needs a very well publicised match at £10 entry, "save Whitton" or something. Play an Ipswich All-Stars.

Non league is in a perilous financial state all over England.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 17:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024