Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tonight's medical emergency. 00:31 - Dec 30 with 6945 viewsBlueBadger

I didn't witness it because [insert what seem like a dark joke in context about my ITFC attendance record here - actual reason} I'm on nights, and am catching up with results and fallout on my break

I will say this as someone who is employed and trained to attend and lead medical emergencies.

If you've witnessed or been directly involved -

If you have been upset, struggling to deal with what you've seen or are feeling generally unsettled/feel like you're never going to sleep again then that's this is normal response to what you've experienced and/or seen.

Medical emergencies are horrible to experience, see, be involved with and manage. Without getting into specifics(because I don't know what happened and to enquire what did would be grossly insensitive at absolute best) -

If what you've seen and/or heard about this evening has caused you upset and/or distress know this - what you are feeling is normal, real and entirely fine, you have witnessed/experienced something unusual and upsetting.
- It upsets us professionals too, there's a degree of peer and external support but it never stops being upsetting

Polite, confidential PM's welcome here.

If you feel like you want to and could do more, Or, if you're struggling with what you've seen(either response is entirely fine) here's some helpful links -

https://www.resus.org.uk/public-resource/how-do-cpr

https://www.sja.org.uk/courses/

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/crisi

Stay safe and well everyone.

[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 0:32]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tonight's medical emergency. on 09:27 - Dec 30 with 5929 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Great Post BB....I couldn't bring myself to applaud when he/she was stretchered off as I was too busy trying to suppress getting over teary surrounded by strangers. Maybe it is a little selfish and about a growing awareness of your own mortality as you get older but there you go.
Make the most of life while you have it folks....thoughts are with their extended family this morning.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Tonight's medical emergency. on 09:59 - Dec 30 with 5758 viewsblueprint

Tonight's medical emergency. on 09:27 - Dec 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

Great Post BB....I couldn't bring myself to applaud when he/she was stretchered off as I was too busy trying to suppress getting over teary surrounded by strangers. Maybe it is a little selfish and about a growing awareness of your own mortality as you get older but there you go.
Make the most of life while you have it folks....thoughts are with their extended family this morning.

I know it’s probably human instinct but I wasn’t happy with those craning their necks to get a view. One young bloke was stood on his chair. Awfully bad taste imo.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 10:02 - Dec 30 with 5732 viewsitfcbam

Tonight's medical emergency. on 09:59 - Dec 30 by blueprint

I know it’s probably human instinct but I wasn’t happy with those craning their necks to get a view. One young bloke was stood on his chair. Awfully bad taste imo.

Couldn't agree more, also those getting their bloody phones out to try and either film or take pictures of what was going on.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 10:03 - Dec 30 with 5714 viewsblueprint

Tonight's medical emergency. on 10:02 - Dec 30 by itfcbam

Couldn't agree more, also those getting their bloody phones out to try and either film or take pictures of what was going on.

Really? That’s appalling.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 12:17 - Dec 30 with 5180 viewsfactual_blue

Whenever I hear of a tragic sudden death like this (I assume it was a cardiac arrest) my mind goes back to the horrible day when my dad died of a heart attack on a tube station platform.
It haunts me to this day. My mum's screams when the police arrived to tell her, the LP I was listening to at the time (Argus by Wishbone Ash). and then having to go to the local hospital where I had to formally identify dad's body (my mum was in no state to do so).

This was all fifty-one years ago last June, and I know it left me in a bubble of grief for years.

I feel for the pain and shock the family and friends of this person will be going through. It's about the worst thing I can imagine.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 19:05]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Tonight's medical emergency. on 12:26 - Dec 30 with 5121 viewsHantsR

Tonight's medical emergency. on 12:17 - Dec 30 by factual_blue

Whenever I hear of a tragic sudden death like this (I assume it was a cardiac arrest) my mind goes back to the horrible day when my dad died of a heart attack on a tube station platform.
It haunts me to this day. My mum's screams when the police arrived to tell her, the LP I was listening to at the time (Argus by Wishbone Ash). and then having to go to the local hospital where I had to formally identify dad's body (my mum was in no state to do so).

This was all fifty-one years ago last June, and I know it left me in a bubble of grief for years.

I feel for the pain and shock the family and friends of this person will be going through. It's about the worst thing I can imagine.

QPR fan in peace. RIP to the Ipswich fan last night and condolences to their family and friends. What a terrible thing to happen. I hope that there might be some small comfort to think that they were at a place they loved watching their favourite team? Best wishes to all of you on this board.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 17:37 - Dec 30 with 4165 viewsChurchman

Tonight's medical emergency. on 09:27 - Dec 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

Like you, my thoughts are with their family today. RIP fellow Blue.

Nothing selfish at all about your response at all. We all deal with stuff in different ways. There’s no right and wrong and in my book it’s how you feel that counts. And if you are in the vicinity and able/qualified to do something useful to help, whether you do.

People taking pics is bang out of order, but there’s no accounting for some people’s stupidity.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 20:01 - Dec 30 with 3823 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Tonight's medical emergency. on 12:26 - Dec 30 by HantsR

QPR fan in peace. RIP to the Ipswich fan last night and condolences to their family and friends. What a terrible thing to happen. I hope that there might be some small comfort to think that they were at a place they loved watching their favourite team? Best wishes to all of you on this board.

Solid!

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Login to get fewer ads

Tonight's medical emergency. on 00:50 - Dec 31 with 3405 viewsBlueBadger

Tonight's medical emergency. on 12:17 - Dec 30 by factual_blue

Manly hugs(or possibly handshakes given your age and fragility Facters) for what you've lived with here. This is a bloody horrible thing to have to do.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tonight's medical emergency. on 14:45 - Dec 31 with 2780 viewsjontysnut

Thanks for this.

I was at a non league game when a chap standing next to us passed out. We did what we could until the team physios arrived and an ambulance was called but sadly it was too late. To this day we all still wonder if there was more that we could have done to help. I'm not sure there was, but you can't help feeling otherwise. The links that you posted are very helpful.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 15:52 - Dec 31 with 2667 viewsThe_Snake

Very well said BB

I trained as our first aider at work several years ago, with CPR and de-fib part of the annual refresher

I’d like to think I could spring into action but have been fortunate that I’ve not had to use the training in the 8 years I’ve been qualified.

There are loads of free training opportunities around for CPR and de-fib training, it’s well worth a couple of hours of your time.

With many of us being in rural locations it really can make the difference.

And it’s really straightforward if you know what to do.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 18:34 - Dec 31 with 2401 viewsRyorry

Tonight's medical emergency. on 15:52 - Dec 31 by The_Snake

Very well said BB

I trained as our first aider at work several years ago, with CPR and de-fib part of the annual refresher

I’d like to think I could spring into action but have been fortunate that I’ve not had to use the training in the 8 years I’ve been qualified.

There are loads of free training opportunities around for CPR and de-fib training, it’s well worth a couple of hours of your time.

With many of us being in rural locations it really can make the difference.

And it’s really straightforward if you know what to do.

Long story short but I was on my way to our away game at Hull, must have been early noughties, had arranged to drop my dog off at friend who'd volunteered to look after him for the afternoon.

Arrived, his gf ran out of house screaming that he'd collapsed, apparently choked on a bit of cake, was convulsing & turning blue, she thought he had tongue stuck in throat. He'd just moved in there, no phone or mobile. Told her to run to next door's phone, while I (tot untrained) shoved my fingers into his mouth & pulled his tongue out, he started breathing. Ambulance arrived in 13 mins (rural area 5 miles from nearest station, so kudos) & he made a full recovery.

Felt so helpless that it prompted me to immediately do a 1-day first aid course course. Very worthwhile obvs, but you need to do refreshers as you soon forget, & they became increasingly hard to find for individuals not in employment.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Tonight's medical emergency. on 08:59 - Jan 1 with 2053 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Tragic for Anne's family and deepest condolences to them.
It is heart warming to hear of Anne's lifelong love for ITFC, and she saw a final year of hope, excitement and getting back towards where we should be. I am glad she was able to take these thoughts with her.
On a macro view, isn't it wonderful that we now have so many female fans like Anne who can enjoy coming to PR. Our support base has changed so much from the 70s when it was almost entirely male, probably one of the reasons we have so many packed out games.
RIP Anne.

Poll: would you rather

Tonight's medical emergency. on 13:12 - Jan 1 with 1897 viewsChurchman

Posted at the end of Clive Whittingham’s report on QPRs Loft For Words.

‘I’m sure we’d all extend our respect to the families of the two Ipswich fans for whom there were minutes of applause during the game, and the third person who it seems sadly lost their life behind the goal at half time. People come up with all sorts of triteness in these situations while desperately scrabbling round for something to say – “it really puts football into perspective doesn’t it” is often a favourite. I’ve never believed that. Read up a little bit on Ben Moore, whose memory we applauded in the 22nd minute last night in recognition of the young age he died after being diagnosed with leukaemia. Look at how much joy Ipswich Town brought him as an ever present from the age of ten, and then more recently during his illness when the club and the players took him in. Football is important – maybe the most important least important thing, but important all the same. Take it from somebody who knows, that belonging and community that comes with football support can provide an amazing, comforting and lasting connection to the person you most want to be with but have had taken away. Last night was a fine example of how our much-maligned sport, and its often-stigmatised supporters, can rally around each other in times of bereavement, or immediate crisis. I hope it brought some crumb of comfort to the three families and will continue to do so into their futures, and may all three rest in peace‘

I like and agree with Clive’s perspective on this.
Tonight's medical emergency. on 14:36 - Jan 1 with 1796 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Tonight's medical emergency. on 13:12 - Jan 1 by Churchman

Posted at the end of Clive Whittingham’s report on QPRs Loft For Words.

‘I’m sure we’d all extend our respect to the families of the two Ipswich fans for whom there were minutes of applause during the game, and the third person who it seems sadly lost their life behind the goal at half time. People come up with all sorts of triteness in these situations while desperately scrabbling round for something to say – “it really puts football into perspective doesn’t it” is often a favourite. I’ve never believed that. Read up a little bit on Ben Moore, whose memory we applauded in the 22nd minute last night in recognition of the young age he died after being diagnosed with leukaemia. Look at how much joy Ipswich Town brought him as an ever present from the age of ten, and then more recently during his illness when the club and the players took him in. Football is important – maybe the most important least important thing, but important all the same. Take it from somebody who knows, that belonging and community that comes with football support can provide an amazing, comforting and lasting connection to the person you most want to be with but have had taken away. Last night was a fine example of how our much-maligned sport, and its often-stigmatised supporters, can rally around each other in times of bereavement, or immediate crisis. I hope it brought some crumb of comfort to the three families and will continue to do so into their futures, and may all three rest in peace‘

I like and agree with Clive’s perspective on this.

He is a very clever and eloquent commentator on the game. QPR are lucky to have him as a fan.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Tonight's medical emergency. on 20:52 - Jan 1 with 1444 viewsthatbdude

Very late to this but it's utterly heartbreaking. RIP Anne once a blue always a blue

Poll: Who going down?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024