Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? 08:22 - Dec 24 with 3532 viewsbournemouthblue

Are we a bit too cavalier for teams who are able to absorb pressure and punish us on the counter?

It seems to me, teams with a big back four and flatter full backs, nullify us.

If you can stop Hirst winning headers and holding up the ball and you stick tight to Chaplin, that reduces our threat significantly. Burns is very dependent on the passing and moving with Chaplin down the right.

In games like Leeds and West Brom, I wonder if we'd be better off with a more traditional left winger, doubling up with Davis who gets caught out, pushed up the field at times. You can still have your number 10 but they to be a bit more tenacious defensively. I think Broadband and Chaplin can go missing a bit when it gets more physical.

I know a bit of perspective is needed, we have had an incredible season so far and not a lot has been wrong but we can certainly get better. I've no doubt we will recruit in January to try and trade up in one or two areas to help us get over the line.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 13:57 - Dec 24 with 930 viewsskinnybob72

The game yesterday, and to a lesser extent the WBA game, were games where being defensive and hopefully not conceding early might have seen the home crowds getting edgy and perhaps affecting how their team played. In both games we've managed to concede really early and the home ends were rocking. We have to learn to frustrate teams.

If we go gung-ho against Leicester - with the pace they have on the break - we'll be looking a another heavy reversal.
Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 14:08 - Dec 24 with 905 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 13:36 - Dec 24 by jayessess

I don't think one passage of play tells you how we would've ultimately played if it had stayed 0-0 for longer.

It kinda does tbh.

We attacked. Lost the ball left gaping hole which they exploited.

Showed what will happen when we do it again which we then found out time and time again.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 14:14 - Dec 24 with 903 viewsbilllm

If we had a low block not McKenna's way but we would have hurt them on the counter, they are not a team to be open against, Coventry started no forward players to try and stop them only changed later in the game to chase it and earnt a point better tactics needed, Farke knew we wouldn't change made it easy for them,
Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 14:25 - Dec 24 with 889 viewsjayessess

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 14:08 - Dec 24 by FrimleyBlue

It kinda does tbh.

We attacked. Lost the ball left gaping hole which they exploited.

Showed what will happen when we do it again which we then found out time and time again.

We've got a pretty big body of evidence that suggests we don't tend to over-commit on the road unless the game state forces us to be more proactive. I think that's more telling than one passage of play.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 14:28 - Dec 24 with 878 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 14:25 - Dec 24 by jayessess

We've got a pretty big body of evidence that suggests we don't tend to over-commit on the road unless the game state forces us to be more proactive. I think that's more telling than one passage of play.

No. That's been my point across the weekend.

We haven't over committed in any away games imo. I completely agree with you there.

But we didn't seem to play this specific game the same way.. it was quite odd what we were doing in all honesty.

Anyways its done now. I hope v leicester away we don't do the same.

But other than that. We have no other away games to fear imo.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 15:16 - Dec 24 with 858 viewsibbleobble

We shipped 8 goals so, it’s a yes from me.
Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 16:07 - Dec 24 with 837 viewsbournemouthblue

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 11:10 - Dec 24 by ITFCSG

Usually we are not so open away I was actually surprised we played such an open game yesterday! Davis was at least 10 yards higher up the pitch than normal not sure what the tactic was!

If you are going to play as open as we did yesterday and try and push them back up the pitch, which we did do at times, we need to be far better on the ball and hold it much better.

We were so sloppy yesterday, partly down to Leeds pressing us well but also just players being a bit off it.

At times, I felt by being less positive, we got ourselves into trouble at times, unnecessarily.

When we did get into positions to slot Hirst in, he was outrun by their back four who all looked pretty mobile and organised.

Harry Clarke had a torrid time but at least Burns came back to cover him, Broadhead doesn't offer Davis the same level of cover.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 16:09]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 18:50 - Dec 24 with 782 viewsstrikalite

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 16:07 - Dec 24 by bournemouthblue

If you are going to play as open as we did yesterday and try and push them back up the pitch, which we did do at times, we need to be far better on the ball and hold it much better.

We were so sloppy yesterday, partly down to Leeds pressing us well but also just players being a bit off it.

At times, I felt by being less positive, we got ourselves into trouble at times, unnecessarily.

When we did get into positions to slot Hirst in, he was outrun by their back four who all looked pretty mobile and organised.

Harry Clarke had a torrid time but at least Burns came back to cover him, Broadhead doesn't offer Davis the same level of cover.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 16:09]

They snapped very quickly into challenges on Morsy Luongo and Chaplin especially, though to be fair to us the first goal was a foul on Chaplin and the second wouldn't end up in our own net off Davis 99 times out of a hundred, and the pen was debateable..

As daft as it sounds, if the Chaplin strike that hit the post would have gone in, 2-1 would/could have been a different game...margins and moments..
Login to get fewer ads

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 19:10 - Dec 24 with 765 viewsBondiBlue

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 13:57 - Dec 24 by skinnybob72

The game yesterday, and to a lesser extent the WBA game, were games where being defensive and hopefully not conceding early might have seen the home crowds getting edgy and perhaps affecting how their team played. In both games we've managed to concede really early and the home ends were rocking. We have to learn to frustrate teams.

If we go gung-ho against Leicester - with the pace they have on the break - we'll be looking a another heavy reversal.

Or a glorious win. Fine margins.

I don't understand this sudden clamour for defensive football after one defeat. Two years of battering eveeyone we play, we lose once and it's "we must change!"

Poll: Which would you accept?

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 19:51 - Dec 24 with 735 viewsskinnybob72

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 19:10 - Dec 24 by BondiBlue

I don't understand this sudden clamour for defensive football after one defeat. Two years of battering eveeyone we play, we lose once and it's "we must change!"

Not so much 'we must change', but perhaps that we consider a slightly different approach in some games, such as away against the strongest teams. We could have tried to frustrate Leeds and then build from there. We didn't need to win yesterday - Leeds did, and we rather played into their hands unfortunately.
Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 20:17 - Dec 24 with 704 viewsWeWereZombies

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 19:10 - Dec 24 by BondiBlue

I didn't see a game of fine margins yesterday, they had nine shots to our two. Four on target and not one for us. There were a couple of niggles in the build up to the first two goals but then they hit the bar twice in the second half. I think we just have to admit that Town got tonked.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 20:40 - Dec 24 with 685 viewsBondiBlue

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 20:17 - Dec 24 by WeWereZombies

I didn't see a game of fine margins yesterday, they had nine shots to our two. Four on target and not one for us. There were a couple of niggles in the build up to the first two goals but then they hit the bar twice in the second half. I think we just have to admit that Town got tonked.

Not denying we got tonked, just pointing out that in almost all of the other games we've played under mckenna, we've done the tonking. Macro fine margins, if you will.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Is a Plan B needed for teams like Leeds? on 19:20 - Dec 25 with 555 viewsEpiphone

I'd leave to KMc to decide whether or not we need a (supposed) Plan B.His plan A has seen us pretty good over the last two years!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024