Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! 08:09 - Dec 21 with 8670 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I know you'll never please everyone. Thing is, I went away regularly back in the day (when we were sh!t) spending £thousands. Then it tailed off for various reasons, mostly having a partner and thinking it's not really fair to go to football every weekend.

These days, though, I'd like to go to the odd away game - especially London games seeing as I live here - but I can't due to not having the points.

Ok, it could be argued those people with the points have collected them fair and square, but really they just happen to have gone to away games more recently. And the thing is, every away ticket they snap up due to having the points ...gives them MORE points, making them more likely to get the next tickets, etc. etc. How am I ever supposed to break into this exclusive club?! Not only am I prevented from getting the tickets, but in the process I'm pushed further and further away from future ones!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:05 - Dec 21 with 1198 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 08:14 - Dec 21 by itfcjoe

It's probably as fair as it can be in something that will always be unfair - I think there is a problem looming though that next season there will be so many people at top of priority list that it will become a literal closed shop unless they do something about it (i.e. 70% of tickets go to most points - 30% go into a members ballot or similar)

I've got lots of friends who follow big clubs home and away, or England, and this is effectively what we are now.....basically if you can't beat them, join them........and you have to get a ticket and go to every game you are eligible to do so to move up the list.....and if you don't someone else will do so.

If you aren't willing or able to do that, then you need to rely on mates helping you out and not getting caught.

I think the club will want to review the away ticket allocation/points system next season, as it doesn't encourage people to buy memberships.

I'm a ST holder and member, but can't get tickets to away matches as I don't have enough points.

That's fair enough, but I probably won't renew my membership next season as I get zero benefit from it.
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:07 - Dec 21 with 1187 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 13:59 - Dec 21 by sjg

Travelling significant distances is not a badge of honour but is definitely a sign of loyalty?

You should get tickets to all the London games because it's better for the environment... what a great way of sounding selfless in suggesting something completely selfish

When you ballot 20% of tickets, you're penalising those on the cusp of being in the 80%. If you want to be able to go to the high demand games, do the hard yards in going to places like Middlesbrough that got to general sale. Simples.

The only problem with the ticketing system is that they didn't include points brought forward for those that went to away games last year without a membership.

How is it "completely selfish" to want to go to a couple of local games?!

Travelling IS a sign of loyalty... but NOT travelling is not a sign of DISloyalty. Not everyone can afford to regularly travel to these footballing outposts. Do you think poor people are essentially disloyal? I've had a season ticket for 35 years, and have been to hundreds of away games in that time too. But because I haven't travelled long distances more recently I'm not showing signs of loyalty?!?

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:08 - Dec 21 with 1184 viewssjg

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:01 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Regardless of lower cappers occasionally missing out, it's a fairer system than the top group just getting everything, forever.

No it isn't because there are games which make it to general sale. I have a friend who started the season on 5 points (which you get from buying the membership) who has managed to go to every game this season, and now has a reasonable amount of points. Your complaints are effectively 'waa waa why can't I go to 2 games a season but only the 2 games that everyone wants to go to this is so unfair'
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:09 - Dec 21 with 1179 viewssjg

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:07 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

How is it "completely selfish" to want to go to a couple of local games?!

Travelling IS a sign of loyalty... but NOT travelling is not a sign of DISloyalty. Not everyone can afford to regularly travel to these footballing outposts. Do you think poor people are essentially disloyal? I've had a season ticket for 35 years, and have been to hundreds of away games in that time too. But because I haven't travelled long distances more recently I'm not showing signs of loyalty?!?

Yes
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:12 - Dec 21 with 1173 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:05 - Dec 21 by highpeakblue

It would make it much more of a closed shop if they went significantly further back when counting away tickets. Younger fans would be blocked out because those who went to a decent number of games several years ago would continue to get priority.

The current system does allow newer/younger fans to get access to high demand away tickets relatively straightforwardly by building up points over 1 or 2 seasons only. This does however involve attending the lower demand away games that usually require more travelling.

Only counting the current and previous season means that if any regular away goer has a season not being able to attend matches for whatever reason then the following season they will be back with everyone else on very few points. There is definitely an argument for going back another season, but going much further back would greatly increase the closed shop nature of the system.

A ballot for a % of tickets is a reasonable suggestion. People close to the priority band where the other tickets sell out would however feel aggrieved that they are likely to miss out in the ballot to fans who may not have been to any recent away matches.

As I've said above, that ballot system would leave some close to the priority aggrieved, sure. But far more are aggrieved in the current system where it's almost a closed shop and can only get worse.

It's about what's best for the majority. Even Lagos, who has the points in the bag, thinks a percentage going to a ballot would be a fairer system.

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:15 - Dec 21 with 1157 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:09 - Dec 21 by sjg

Yes

Blimey. Interesting definition of loyalty you have there.

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:17 - Dec 21 with 1146 viewssjg

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:15 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Blimey. Interesting definition of loyalty you have there.

I'd be happy to discuss it further at Leeds on Saturday - except you won't be there, you'll be sat in your armchair writing posts about why you should have a right to a Norwich away ticket ahead of LOYAL supporters like myself
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:24 - Dec 21 with 1129 viewsSitfcB

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 13:28 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

I mean yeah, but the premise of my OP is "I'd like to go to the odd away game - especially London games". I can't really justify the time or money to go to far flung games.

It's just a little moan really, I appreciate I could do more to get tickets. I could, if I really wanted to, pay over the odds* for a ticket on the black market. But that's not really the point of my gripe.

*In the pub before the derby I overheard a guy talking to his mate saying he hadn't been able to get a ticket... and that someone had offered him one for £600!
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 13:31]

To be fair for normal games there’s always plenty of spares and sold at face value or people give them away.

I reckon I could’ve gone to every game so far this season without a s/t or membership for away games.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:34 - Dec 21 with 1102 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:17 - Dec 21 by sjg

I'd be happy to discuss it further at Leeds on Saturday - except you won't be there, you'll be sat in your armchair writing posts about why you should have a right to a Norwich away ticket ahead of LOYAL supporters like myself

Where did I say ahead of?

This was a nice, friendly discussion. You've brought a nasty tinge to it. Not sure why but I'm quite comfortable with my loyalty over the years.

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:38 - Dec 21 with 1083 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:24 - Dec 21 by SitfcB

To be fair for normal games there’s always plenty of spares and sold at face value or people give them away.

I reckon I could’ve gone to every game so far this season without a s/t or membership for away games.

Well maybe my impression of it's wrong then?

EVERY away game?! I've seen lots of posts on here from people missing out - so much so that I haven't bothered even attempting with my lack of points. In fact I'm sure one of the people I saw missing out was YOU - because I thought, if Sitters can't get one I've got no chance (think it was Birmingham or West Brom).

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:46 - Dec 21 with 1057 viewsSitfcB

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:38 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Well maybe my impression of it's wrong then?

EVERY away game?! I've seen lots of posts on here from people missing out - so much so that I haven't bothered even attempting with my lack of points. In fact I'm sure one of the people I saw missing out was YOU - because I thought, if Sitters can't get one I've got no chance (think it was Birmingham or West Brom).

I mean as in, buying tickets on the ‘black market’ - always spares if you look hard enough, and I’ve sorted many people out this season with some.

I may have been asking on behalf of someone, I’m at 100% attendance so far this season, and now at the stage where I want to keep it up for the rest of it

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:51 - Dec 21 with 1048 viewsyesjohn99

I think the system is fair enough. I didn’t like the fact you have to pay £40 for the privilege of membership though.

Thought it was a bit steep.
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:58 - Dec 21 with 1027 viewsUSA

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:46 - Dec 21 by SitfcB

I mean as in, buying tickets on the ‘black market’ - always spares if you look hard enough, and I’ve sorted many people out this season with some.

I may have been asking on behalf of someone, I’m at 100% attendance so far this season, and now at the stage where I want to keep it up for the rest of it

And this post is the reason that ‘fairness’ arises. People buying tickets purely to get the point or selling on the black market if they end up not being able to go.

I’m in favour of a small percentage going into a ballot. The club didn’t want a closed off system for home games so capped season tickets. Hopefully they’ll consider it for away games next year. Went to 10 away games last year but no membership means no points for those games this time around.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 14:59]
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 15:05 - Dec 21 with 1000 viewsyesjohn99

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:58 - Dec 21 by USA

And this post is the reason that ‘fairness’ arises. People buying tickets purely to get the point or selling on the black market if they end up not being able to go.

I’m in favour of a small percentage going into a ballot. The club didn’t want a closed off system for home games so capped season tickets. Hopefully they’ll consider it for away games next year. Went to 10 away games last year but no membership means no points for those games this time around.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2023 14:59]

That’s because ITFC can make more money from the more expensive matchday sales. The club doesn’t make anything from away sales.
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 15:14 - Dec 21 with 976 viewsDennyx4

I think in general it is a fair system.

Not sure there should be a ballot without the membership scheme though - happy for a ballot for those that have bought a membership. I would argue this may need to be for games that allow a certain amount of fans. (2000+?)

Another thing that may be worth considering is to allow each member to nominate a game that they would want priority on. May create a logistic headache though.

I believe Norwich did something similar, gives a little bit more value to buying a membership. For transparency the membership did not allow them to nominate for our game (think there may have been 2 or 3 games excluded) - which is fair otherwise everyone would pick the local derby, or grounds which allow very few away fans.
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 15:48 - Dec 21 with 944 viewsPlums

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 14:51 - Dec 21 by yesjohn99

I think the system is fair enough. I didn’t like the fact you have to pay £40 for the privilege of membership though.

Thought it was a bit steep.

I agree. If there was some tangible benefit (t-shirt, scarf or something) from the purchase itself then I would have bought it for the few games I might get to. For a place in a virtual queue. No thanks.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 15:49 - Dec 21 with 945 viewshighpeakblue

It is really only Norwich and London games where a high number of points is needed to get a ticket. 25+ points should be enough for Norwich and that means that you will have attended an average of 7/8 away games in each of the past two seasons (10 points comes from just having bought memberships in both years).

If Norwich away was earlier in the season then it would mainly just be points accumulated in the previous season that counted (so the points band required would be lower).

As said elsewhere, the main unfair aspect of the system is for those that did not have a membership last season. So although they may have been to several games they did not get points, despite the points system and membership requirement only being introduced subsequently.
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 17:46 - Dec 21 with 877 viewslizzibee

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 11:31 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Except that doesn't work for people who don't live in Ipswich!

or those that work and can't spend several hours away from work
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 17:51 - Dec 21 with 878 viewslizzibee

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 13:40 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

You talk like travelling significant distances is a badge of honour. For starters, the transport costs are huge and could be prohibitive to many. Would you want to price out poorer supporters?
Secondly, people buying for their most local games is better for the environment.

Again, when you talk about "those that go most regularly" you mean in the most recent times - this season and last. Anything before that isn't counted. And as several of us have pointed out, that ends up making it a closed shop - because the people who have the points for those tickets not only get the tickets, they get the points which gets them further tickets. Johnny Come Latelys get all the tickets; supporters who've been through thick and mostly thin for donkey's years (but less so more recently) are penalised. Which, equally, isn't fair.

So rather than give ALL the tickets to the most recent travellers, give them say 80% and hold back 20% for everyone else. Seems entirely reasonable to me.

From a selfish point of view I disagree with this. I think it's right those with the most points get first dibs on a ticket. Not a fan of the ballot as those may get tickets at the expense of us who travel the most and have invested time and money in the club last season and this. Seems wrong to me they should miss out at the expense of someone who hasn't been to a game but wants to go to say Norwich because it's close. But this is my view, speaking as someone who has 44 points so luckily can get to what games I want
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 18:04 - Dec 21 with 868 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 17:51 - Dec 21 by lizzibee

From a selfish point of view I disagree with this. I think it's right those with the most points get first dibs on a ticket. Not a fan of the ballot as those may get tickets at the expense of us who travel the most and have invested time and money in the club last season and this. Seems wrong to me they should miss out at the expense of someone who hasn't been to a game but wants to go to say Norwich because it's close. But this is my view, speaking as someone who has 44 points so luckily can get to what games I want

Glad you admit it's a selfish point of view!

The fact that you have 44 points suggests you've been to lots of games. Would you not think it's fair that a few other people get a go? All the great away day memories - you're getting them ALL. Some of us are missing them all.

Also, I'd take issue with you having "invested time and money in the club last season and this" - buying away tickets isn't investing in the club. And also, why should only last season and this count anyway? Some of us have been investing in the club for donkey's years. I was buying away tickets when there were plenty - where were all those new loyal fans then?!

(By the way, I'm not having a go at any fans. Just saying a ballot for a small percentage would enable a few others to get a chance).

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 22:00 - Dec 21 with 786 viewslizzibee

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 18:04 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

The fact that you have 44 points suggests you've been to lots of games. Would you not think it's fair that a few other people get a go? All the great away day memories - you're getting them ALL. Some of us are missing them all.

Also, I'd take issue with you having "invested time and money in the club last season and this" - buying away tickets isn't investing in the club. And also, why should only last season and this count anyway? Some of us have been investing in the club for donkey's years. I was buying away tickets when there were plenty - where were all those new loyal fans then?!

(By the way, I'm not having a go at any fans. Just saying a ballot for a small percentage would enable a few others to get a chance).

Firstly I've been watching Town since 1985 most years of which have been season ticket apart from when I was at Uni when I had a Millwall season ticket. And I went to San Siro for THAT game and Dussledorf for a pre-season friendly

I have been to a lot of games and its cost a fortune for me and the lad - at the expense of a holiday for two years, but it means that much. I took the decision to priorise football over holdidays and other things so yes, I think that gives me a right as I have made many sacrifices as I know many others have.

As for others, in other seasons yes, but we are in different times and I say let those who have been to the games get the experience. There were many games people could have attended last season which, with membership, would have got them points to get to games this season. They chose not to, for whatever reason. And this season - Middlesbrough and Wednesday went to general sale so surely there can be no complaints
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 22:02 - Dec 21 with 780 viewslizzibee

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 18:04 - Dec 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

You are not missing - you could have got a ticket for Sheffield Weds and Boro - so you could have enjoyed those experiences if you wanted to
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 22:27 - Dec 21 with 759 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

Seems weird to open up this can of worms again. It is always going to seem fair to some and not to others. However it is worth noting a fair few games this season have reached the 5 point threshold so everyone would have had the chance to get tickets to certain games and thus also increasing their chances to get tickets for others.
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 22:31 - Dec 21 with 747 viewslizzibee

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 22:27 - Dec 21 by E_I_E_I_E_I_O

Seems weird to open up this can of worms again. It is always going to seem fair to some and not to others. However it is worth noting a fair few games this season have reached the 5 point threshold so everyone would have had the chance to get tickets to certain games and thus also increasing their chances to get tickets for others.

Exactly this , and I will leave it there
The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 23:10 - Dec 21 with 719 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The whole away ticket points system thing - is it fair?! on 22:02 - Dec 21 by lizzibee

You are not missing - you could have got a ticket for Sheffield Weds and Boro - so you could have enjoyed those experiences if you wanted to

I've said in the OP I wanted to go to the odd London game. I also hoped to get to either West Brom or Birmingham. You have no idea about my life, what I can and can't get to and why, so no, you can't say I'm not missing out because I could've gone to Weds and Boro.

This isn't a competition about who's most loyal. You're also speaking about your own specific situation. I'm simply saying a chance, for a few people who don't have the points, is fair. If you have the time and money to get to as many games as you do, then you are lucky. Not everyone is so fortunate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024