Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel 13:06 - Dec 20 with 891 viewsSheffordBlue

Interesting insight here into how big decisions are assessed in the EFL. This is outside of the routine refereeing assessment.

85% percent accuracy/success in most jobs would be viewed as pretty good but I think many of us expect refs to be up in the 95%+ zone.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/december/19/key-match-incidents-panel-reveals-corr

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:10 - Dec 20 with 845 viewsElderGrizzly

Agree. 85% seems ridiculously low for key decisions.

Some weeks it has been in the low 70s!
Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:14 - Dec 20 with 827 viewsSheffordBlue

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:10 - Dec 20 by ElderGrizzly

Agree. 85% seems ridiculously low for key decisions.

Some weeks it has been in the low 70s!

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of why the 15% was wrong e.g referee didn't see the incident, referee applied the law wrong, subjective decision where panel outvoted the ref.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:18 - Dec 20 with 810 viewsheavyweight

It's a bit of a nonsense to call it 85% 'correct' when really it just means 85% aligned with what the panel assess. Especially when a lot of the calls are not of absolute fact - rather matters of judgement and opinion. Even then they accept a majority verdict from the panel so there will be experts with different opinions even with replays and presumably different camera angles.
Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:30 - Dec 20 with 771 viewsITFC_Forever

Can’t have analysed many of Keith Stroud/ Gavin Ward etc’s games.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:42 - Dec 20 with 728 viewsEastTownBlue

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:18 - Dec 20 by heavyweight

It's a bit of a nonsense to call it 85% 'correct' when really it just means 85% aligned with what the panel assess. Especially when a lot of the calls are not of absolute fact - rather matters of judgement and opinion. Even then they accept a majority verdict from the panel so there will be experts with different opinions even with replays and presumably different camera angles.

Exactly. In some of the decisions assessed by the panel in the PL there are verdicts which have three votes to two after watching replays of various decisions. I’m sure that some are clear cut incorrect decisions on others would be more subjective.
Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:45 - Dec 20 with 702 viewsTMWWNGAS

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:42 - Dec 20 by EastTownBlue

Exactly. In some of the decisions assessed by the panel in the PL there are verdicts which have three votes to two after watching replays of various decisions. I’m sure that some are clear cut incorrect decisions on others would be more subjective.

What I find interesting is that on average there are only on average1.3 KMI per game in a week... with such a small indicator it is no surprise the percentage is a high as it is, what it doesn't suggest is the amount of correct decisions overall or the overall referee performance.
Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:50 - Dec 20 with 668 viewsRadlett_blue

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:18 - Dec 20 by heavyweight

Indeed, the referee sees an incident once, at normal speed, from his angle. While the linos can provide assistance, I still invite anyone who keeps criticising referees if they have ever reffed a game themselves. I took the whistle for a few College 2nd XI games & on a fair few incidents, I really wasn't sure so just made an educated guess.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 14:11 - Dec 20 with 609 viewslongtimefan

Referees and the Key Match Incident Panel on 13:50 - Dec 20 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, the referee sees an incident once, at normal speed, from his angle. While the linos can provide assistance, I still invite anyone who keeps criticising referees if they have ever reffed a game themselves. I took the whistle for a few College 2nd XI games & on a fair few incidents, I really wasn't sure so just made an educated guess.

Indeed. Positioning is really key to making the correct decision. It's something you really have to continually work on. When I first started it was something that really didn't come naturally. I think many people would be surprised how hard it is to make sure you don't end up either too far away, too close or at the wrong angle to see incidents clearly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024