Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shots on target 00:12 - Dec 17 with 4691 viewsbritbiker

Something I've noticed lately is that we don't make the oppositions goalkeepers save many.

We either miss the target totally or score

Can't think of many recent games where a keeper has made multiple good saves.

Today I think Gunn had one good save and one standard save. Don't remember the Watford keeper doing much except goal kicks or picking the ball out of the net.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 21:39]
Shots on target on 10:49 - Dec 17 with 2788 viewsSheffordBlue

Chappers and Broadhead in particular aim for the zone just inside the posts - that either means they miss or it's a really difficult save. Hirst and Ladapo are getting more shots on target but these are often more central making it easier to save. Chappers and Broadhead are both outscoring their xG so this shot placement seems to be paying dividends even it if means they 'miss the target' more.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Shots on target on 14:29 - Dec 17 with 2694 viewsFrimleyBlue

That's been my main issue with Burns. Nothing else.

Yesterday he scored the harder chance of the two. Yet the first effort should easily have been on target minimum. But he also had one earlier which looked like a cross come shot when again it should have been easier to get on target.

Thankfully he got the one that got us the point. But when most of his efforts fall with his strongest foot he's got to get them on target minimum.

Rest of his game was spot on tho.

Broady.. snapping at shots. The one where davis was well placed next to him.. broady snapped at it in a panic. But it was great to see him heavily involved again something we've not seen for many weeks.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Shots on target on 14:42 - Dec 17 with 2685 viewsSmithersJones

My son’s old football coach (who was a proper coach, not just a parent helping out) had a proper bee in his bonnet about the obsession with shots on target stats and phrases like “you’ve got to force the keeper to make a save”. His reasoning was that he wanted players shooting for the corners. In no way was hitting it straight at the keeper better than hitting the post. I’ve sometimes wondered whether that was a more widely shared view amongst professional coaches.
Shots on target on 14:46 - Dec 17 with 2656 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 14:42 - Dec 17 by SmithersJones

My son’s old football coach (who was a proper coach, not just a parent helping out) had a proper bee in his bonnet about the obsession with shots on target stats and phrases like “you’ve got to force the keeper to make a save”. His reasoning was that he wanted players shooting for the corners. In no way was hitting it straight at the keeper better than hitting the post. I’ve sometimes wondered whether that was a more widely shared view amongst professional coaches.

Odd take

Hirst scored from hutchinsons shot the other day after the keeper saved it.

Hutch possibly could have scored after gunn saved broadheads shot..

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 14:46 - Dec 17 with 2663 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shots on target on 14:29 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

That's been my main issue with Burns. Nothing else.

Yesterday he scored the harder chance of the two. Yet the first effort should easily have been on target minimum. But he also had one earlier which looked like a cross come shot when again it should have been easier to get on target.

Thankfully he got the one that got us the point. But when most of his efforts fall with his strongest foot he's got to get them on target minimum.

Rest of his game was spot on tho.

Broady.. snapping at shots. The one where davis was well placed next to him.. broady snapped at it in a panic. But it was great to see him heavily involved again something we've not seen for many weeks.

So your issue is that he scores some difficult chances rather than making the keeper make easy saves!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Shots on target on 14:52 - Dec 17 with 2630 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 14:46 - Dec 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

So your issue is that he scores some difficult chances rather than making the keeper make easy saves!

Clearly not.

47% shot accuracy. 11% shot conversion. From a position where he gets more openings to shoot at goal than most.

I'm not here again to defend my thoughts on burns again. It's been done to death. But yesterday was a great example of the good and the bad of Burns.

But as mentioned earlier on broady too was wasteful as we all saw. But it was nice to see him back to his involved best again which hasn't been the case lately.

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 14:53 - Dec 17 with 2632 viewsMK1

And yet we sit second in the league and are top scorers.
Shots on target on 15:11 - Dec 17 with 2574 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shots on target on 14:52 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

Clearly not.

47% shot accuracy. 11% shot conversion. From a position where he gets more openings to shoot at goal than most.

I'm not here again to defend my thoughts on burns again. It's been done to death. But yesterday was a great example of the good and the bad of Burns.

But as mentioned earlier on broady too was wasteful as we all saw. But it was nice to see him back to his involved best again which hasn't been the case lately.

Conor Chaplin 32% and 8%
Broadhead 41% and 26%
Hirst 56% and 12.5%

It seems you are holding our winger to an incredibly high expectation.

Haaland's are better at 62% and 28%.

Login to get fewer ads

Shots on target on 15:18 - Dec 17 with 2539 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 15:11 - Dec 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Conor Chaplin 32% and 8%
Broadhead 41% and 26%
Hirst 56% and 12.5%

It seems you are holding our winger to an incredibly high expectation.

Haaland's are better at 62% and 28%.

I don't think it's that high an expectation tbh.

Burns role enables him the easier of chances to shoot at goal. Most are being played through with a defender oncoming from the left with the goal just to shoot at.. he had 2 yesterday as prime examples of this.

Chappers has taken shots from various places on the pitch. Twice from about 40 yards for example. But also he and broadheads movement and roles means that they are shooting with both feet with various different types of shots, Chappers last week for example was hitting volleys with his right foot. So there's clearly gonna be a fair few not hitting the target.

Hirst.. Well it's been discussed on here that he's not the most clinical so that's been covered.

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 15:30 - Dec 17 with 2513 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shots on target on 15:18 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

Burns role enables him the easier of chances to shoot at goal. Most are being played through with a defender oncoming from the left with the goal just to shoot at.. he had 2 yesterday as prime examples of this.

Chappers has taken shots from various places on the pitch. Twice from about 40 yards for example. But also he and broadheads movement and roles means that they are shooting with both feet with various different types of shots, Chappers last week for example was hitting volleys with his right foot. So there's clearly gonna be a fair few not hitting the target.

Hirst.. Well it's been discussed on here that he's not the most clinical so that's been covered.

So you expect a winger cutting in to have better shooting accuracy than a striker. OK. Explains a lot about your low estimations of Burns.

Can you name 2 right wingers/wing backs you would rather we had because they are better than Burns?

Shots on target on 15:36 - Dec 17 with 2495 viewsSheffordBlue

Shots on target on 15:18 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

Burns is currently outscoring his xG by 1.4 goals so the idea he's not converting his easier chances doesn't really stack up.

His shots yesterday had xG values of 0.03, 0.14, 0.08 (Goal) and 0.07 so the 'easiest' of his chances had a 14% chance of being scored.

Shots on target on 15:39 - Dec 17 with 2471 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 15:30 - Dec 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

So you expect a winger cutting in to have better shooting accuracy than a striker. OK. Explains a lot about your low estimations of Burns.

Can you name 2 right wingers/wing backs you would rather we had because they are better than Burns?

He's not cutting in. Certainly not ala hutchinson. He does occasionally but not often. But like I've said and you're ignoring, Burns gets put through many times in the game where he has the goal to shoot at with his strongest foot with no defender in front of him. Not by cutting in. Just by being in the attacking role required of him. Which he is good at being in btw. But he does indeed fluff a large number of these opportunities.

I'm not saying others haven't. I've agreed they do. But Burns of all players has the easiest shots to convert to shots on target minimum. Imo.

Not sure why you're asking me who I'd want. I'm not a scout. Nor do I work for town.

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 15:48 - Dec 17 with 2464 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shots on target on 15:39 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

He's not cutting in. Certainly not ala hutchinson. He does occasionally but not often. But like I've said and you're ignoring, Burns gets put through many times in the game where he has the goal to shoot at with his strongest foot with no defender in front of him. Not by cutting in. Just by being in the attacking role required of him. Which he is good at being in btw. But he does indeed fluff a large number of these opportunities.

I'm not saying others haven't. I've agreed they do. But Burns of all players has the easiest shots to convert to shots on target minimum. Imo.

Not sure why you're asking me who I'd want. I'm not a scout. Nor do I work for town.

It's OK. There isn't a player in this division who does Burns' job half as well as he does and I wasn't asking in terms of who we could sign but just one example of someone who isn't as poor as him.

It is sometimes OK to admit you are wrong rather than continually double down on a hot take. But you carry on with your absurd idea that he is whack-a-ball.

Shots on target on 15:49 - Dec 17 with 2453 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 15:36 - Dec 17 by SheffordBlue

Burns is currently outscoring his xG by 1.4 goals so the idea he's not converting his easier chances doesn't really stack up.

His shots yesterday had xG values of 0.03, 0.14, 0.08 (Goal) and 0.07 so the 'easiest' of his chances had a 14% chance of being scored.

Mines more of the ones he doesn't get on target more than the ones not scored. End of day there's a keeper in the goal for a reason.

Anyways. Been done to death a thousand times. I'm bored of having to defend my gripes about him. He's lovely. He's fab. Best player to put the shirt on etc etc.

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 16:03 - Dec 17 with 2428 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 15:48 - Dec 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's OK. There isn't a player in this division who does Burns' job half as well as he does and I wasn't asking in terms of who we could sign but just one example of someone who isn't as poor as him.

It is sometimes OK to admit you are wrong rather than continually double down on a hot take. But you carry on with your absurd idea that he is whack-a-ball.

He scores 1 in 8 shots
Less than 50% of his shots on a target. Its ok to admit you're wrong rather than ignoring something so blatant just to be able to say he's the best thing since slice bread with 0 negatives in his play. It's OK to say he's good but he has things he could improve on. It's OK to agree with me despite not wishing to look like you do on an Internet site.

It's OK.

Oh also. Can we please stop this pretence that he's a wingback. He's not. Far far from it.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 16:05]

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 16:10 - Dec 17 with 2395 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shots on target on 16:03 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

He scores 1 in 8 shots
Less than 50% of his shots on a target. Its ok to admit you're wrong rather than ignoring something so blatant just to be able to say he's the best thing since slice bread with 0 negatives in his play. It's OK to say he's good but he has things he could improve on. It's OK to agree with me despite not wishing to look like you do on an Internet site.

It's OK.

Oh also. Can we please stop this pretence that he's a wingback. He's not. Far far from it.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 16:05]

I called him a winger. I added wingback to the options to allow you more scope to find an answer that's all!

Very few players in any position score more than 1 in 8 shots and, if they do, they tend not to take shots as often as those who score more.

Your whole narrative on this is very odd. If you could name even one player who does what you are asking of him, it would have some evidence but it doesn't. You make your mind up without looking at any reasonable comparison and then try to use statistics to back up your opinion when they clearly disprove it!

Shots on target on 16:23 - Dec 17 with 2351 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 16:10 - Dec 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

I called him a winger. I added wingback to the options to allow you more scope to find an answer that's all!

Very few players in any position score more than 1 in 8 shots and, if they do, they tend not to take shots as often as those who score more.

Your whole narrative on this is very odd. If you could name even one player who does what you are asking of him, it would have some evidence but it doesn't. You make your mind up without looking at any reasonable comparison and then try to use statistics to back up your opinion when they clearly disprove it!

Whittaker

9 goals scored
56% shot accuracy
17% shot conversion
Shots taken 46
5 shots per goal

Just one example. I'm sure you're change the scope to what is classed as a comparison position wise...

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 16:35 - Dec 17 with 2333 viewsSheffordBlue

Shots on target on 16:23 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

Whittaker

9 goals scored
56% shot accuracy
17% shot conversion
Shots taken 46
5 shots per goal

Just one example. I'm sure you're change the scope to what is classed as a comparison position wise...

Where are you getting those stats from? FotMob (who get their data from Opta) have Whittaker's shot accuracy as 35% to Burns 38%

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/players/1081288/morgan-whittaker

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/players/421768/wes-burns

Shots on target on 16:38 - Dec 17 with 2289 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 16:35 - Dec 17 by SheffordBlue

Where are you getting those stats from? FotMob (who get their data from Opta) have Whittaker's shot accuracy as 35% to Burns 38%

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/players/1081288/morgan-whittaker

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/players/421768/wes-burns

Footy stats

If yours are more accurate fair enough. But 80 shots.. wtf. People need to close him down more lol.

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 16:39 - Dec 17 with 2289 viewsTheBoyBlue

Shots on target on 14:53 - Dec 17 by MK1

And yet we sit second in the league and are top scorers.

I do wonder just where we'd be with a lethal striker (much as I love Hirst) and then I realise we can't get much higher!

Still, it would be prudent to get another striker in during January.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Shots on target on 16:44 - Dec 17 with 2271 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shots on target on 16:23 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

Whittaker

9 goals scored
56% shot accuracy
17% shot conversion
Shots taken 46
5 shots per goal

No. That's fine. Morgan Whittaker is a better finisher than Burns.

I just think that is rare and you are asking a lot for Burns to have that to his game as well as what he does offer. If Burns had Whittaker's finishing or Whittaker had Burns' pace and dribbling neither of them would be likely to be playing where they are. In fact, I suspect both may well be in the Premier League before too long.

EDIT: and it looks like Whittaker's finishing isn't actually as good as you claim!
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 16:46]

Shots on target on 16:48 - Dec 17 with 2254 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 16:44 - Dec 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

No. That's fine. Morgan Whittaker is a better finisher than Burns.

I just think that is rare and you are asking a lot for Burns to have that to his game as well as what he does offer. If Burns had Whittaker's finishing or Whittaker had Burns' pace and dribbling neither of them would be likely to be playing where they are. In fact, I suspect both may well be in the Premier League before too long.

EDIT: and it looks like Whittaker's finishing isn't actually as good as you claim!
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 16:46]

Think that's been my point. It's not about what burns needs to do. He has a ceiling. We have it and it's been working for us which is fab.

But as we continue to grow so do our needs and that's where I then feel we need to grow further by getting better on that side. It's not a slight on Burns he is what he is. But everyone gets to a point where the club outgrows them and I think we are at that point with him.

That's not saying get rid. Nothing like that. But imo we need that next level. And yes that will be an amazing player who ever that is.. but that's where we are heading..
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 16:49]

Waka waka eh eh

Shots on target on 16:49 - Dec 17 with 2258 viewsStokieBlue

Shots on target on 14:52 - Dec 17 by FrimleyBlue

Clearly not.

He is a great player for us, he crosses accurately enough and he gets enough shots on target.

"47% shot accuracy. 11% shot conversion. From a position where he gets more openings to shoot at goal than most."

What do you think these stats should be?

SB

Edit: Some other stuff had been covered but I hadn't seen it.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 16:51]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Shots on target on 16:54 - Dec 17 with 2213 viewsSheffordBlue

Shots on target on 16:39 - Dec 17 by TheBoyBlue

I do wonder just where we'd be with a lethal striker (much as I love Hirst) and then I realise we can't get much higher!

Still, it would be prudent to get another striker in during January.

Hirst is actually underperforming his xG by more than anyone. In some ways his season has parallels with Freddie's from last season in that he's leading the line much more than was expected at the start of the season, is contributing a lot but not quite getting the goal return we might have hoped for. It turned out alright for Freddie last season - he had an excellent return for his minutes by the end of the season.

Shots on target on 16:55 - Dec 17 with 2198 viewsFrimleyBlue

Shots on target on 16:49 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

He is a great player for us, he crosses accurately enough and he gets enough shots on target.

"47% shot accuracy. 11% shot conversion. From a position where he gets more openings to shoot at goal than most."

What do you think these stats should be?

SB

Edit: Some other stuff had been covered but I hadn't seen it.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 16:51]

Once again - if Burns got more on target or scored more he wouldn't be playing for us - you continually overlook this fact"

No I don't overlook it. I've always said it and agreed he is what he is. But we need better. What you overlook is that we are a side about to go into the Premier league and overlook the need to improve the team.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024